News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I aways read this, but am curious as to who we rushed.
Fair question, maybe it was the big money long term contracts too soon. Not saying that was the teams fault as that’s how business is done now but I don’t think it helped those guys. That elevated those young kids into first line players before they were ready. Before they earned. As a rule I don’t think that’s a good thing. Other teams do this too but it hasn’t seemed to work out well for the teams that have had too many high lottery pick players on the roster at the same time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
An actual shot. Have you seen Larsson's slap shot?

I think one of the issues here is that it takes Larsson too long to get his shot off. Once he does its not particularily accurate.
He is a shutdown dman and a very good one. That is very valuable...if he doesn't have the tools to play the PP thats just fine.

Reactions: Cypress

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think one of the issues here is that it takes Larsson too long to get his shot off. Once he does its not particularily accurate.
He is a shutdown dman and a very good one. That is very valuable...if he doesn't have the tools to play the PP thats just fine.
I'm fine if we put him out there when it's 4-0, but yes, he's too valuable defensively for us to just burn him out moreso on the PP.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm fine if we put him out there when it's 4-0, but yes, he's too valuable defensively for us to just burn him out moreso on the PP.

He plays the toughest minutes on the team outside of McDavid and he does it very well. If he was an effective offensive player the team likely couldn't afford him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Just listening to Oilers Now...is Koskinen waiver exempt? Could the team send him down to acclimatize to the NA game if needed?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It is for me. I mean he's a guy who will get paid in the KHL, regardless, so I would think if he fails fully in the preseason it would be pretty simple to get him to go back to Europe.

Yes...provided that Montoya is an adequate replacement in the backup role. Thats the issue for me.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yes...provided that Montoya is an adequate replacement in the backup role. Thats the issue for me.
Yes that's an issue, but if Koskinen fails, there's likely someone you can look to bring in (trade or otherwise) to have an shot at the back-up position.

There's always Pavelec or Lehtonen (or Mason), or waivers or trade.

None of its ideal, I'm still going to give Koskinen a bit of the benefit of the doubt to see if he can bring his game around in camp.

Reactions: guymez

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I wonder what happens if that Benson - McLeod - Yamamoto line keeps impressing. Do we just say screw it and have them as a high skill 4th line? Lol

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I wonder what happens if that Benson - McLeod - Yamamoto line keeps impressing. Do we just say screw it and have them as a high skill 4th line? Lol

Nice to see some success from this trio, but I can only reasonably see one of them potentially making the team out of camp. I don't think McLeod is even signed to an NHL contract yet.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Benson is 20.... hasn't played a full season of hockey in several years because of injury issues... and truly could likely use an entire year in the AHL to work on his development which has no doubt taken somewhat of a hit.

McLeod turns 19 in 3 days... has NHL size/speed already but is he ready for the intensity/grind of the NHL caliber level of play? Definitely needs more games vs decent competition to see if he can take the abuse that NHL level opposition dishes out and see if he can still make those smart plays when the opposition gets tougher as well.

Yamamoto has the speed and skill and smarts imo as well... only thing he doesn't have is the size and I'm not sure if his consistency is there yet either. He turns 20 next week as well so it's not as if he's a green 18 year old.. he does have that 9 game NHL stint and an extra year of Junior under his belt which has helped his development.

Of the 3 I think Yamamoto is closest.... he's not going to get much bigger(if at all). He's just got to show that he can bring what he did last game in every game he plays. If he does... he makes the team imo. If he doesn't... he starts in the AHL and works on that consistency down there. No harm in that because the advantage of his Sept birthday is that he can play in the AHL this season which is a great advantage for both Yamamoto and the Oilers to have.

Personally I think it's best to have both Yamamoto and Benson down in the AHL champing at the bit to come up to the NHL roster... which should keep solid pressure on the Oiler vets who'll know their jobs are in jeopardy and they have to keep their asses in gear without slacking like they did last season.

Reactions: Cypress

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
Every goalie has rough nights like Koskinen had last night. It's one night, I'm not ready to panic. I want to see how he does over a couple of games, wait for a pattern to develop before forming an opinion. Hopefully, he does better in his next outing.

Reactions: MisterD

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yeah I honestly don't get this either...

2017 - Yamamoto sent down
2016 - Pulju has spent time in AHL both seasons
2015 - Nobody holds Connor back
2014 - Draisaitl sent down to junior, starts next year in AHL
2013 - Nurse spent 2 more years in junior and started draft +3 in NHL
2012 - Yak, 1st overalls are never held back. His lack of hockey sense and Eakins ruined him, not how quickly we put him in the league
2011 - RNH, was NHL ready, still doing fine.
2011 - Klefbom. Developed for several years and is a #1 dman when healthy.
2010 - Hall was NHL ready. Elite 1st overall pick
2009 - Paajarvi. This is the one that I will argue should have spent some time in the AHL instead of starting in the NHL in draft +2
2008 - Eberle. Waited a couple seasons. Did just fine. Our coaching didn't do him any favours
2007- Gagner. Kid was NHL ready. Coaching ruined him after his rookie season.

That is every 1st round pick post lock-out. The only case one can MAYBE make for rushing players is Paajarvi, but I think he, like our other busts falls more into the part on himself, part on our coaching/environment did him no favours.

Mmmm... that's not the whole picture.

Yamamoto - needs this full season in the AHL.

Puju - should never have dressed for an NHL game (maybe 9 last season?). He should be playing his rookie season this year with a slid ELC. He wasn't physically mature and we' wrecked his confidence.

Drai - should never have played his rookie season. Should have went straight back to Jr, and let us slide his ELC. He was a non contributor year 1.

Nurse - could have used a full year in the AHL.

Yak - 2 years in Jr and a year in the AHL/KHL. who cares about draft position.

Nuge - naw. Back to Jr.

Reactions: OilDrop37
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad