News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I really don't get understand why this team struggles to play the point man as a one time option.

They've loaded up one unit with RNH, Draisaitl, and McDavid, and that leaves you with Strome and Puljujarvi QB'ing the second unit. That's okay, but then the point man on the second unit needs to be a LH shot.

With this setup you're going to see Pulju and Strome cycle and struggle to find an open shooter. And I don't trust Rieder or Caggiula to set up Benning, Strome or Pulju for a good one timer...

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyHistorian

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I really don't get understand why this team struggles to play the point man as a one time option.

They've loaded up one unit with RNH, Draisaitl, and McDabid, and that leaves you with Strome and Puljujarvi QB'ing the second unit. That's okay, but then the point man on the second unit needs to be a LH shot.

With this setup you're going to see Pulju and Strome cycle and struggle to find an open shooter. And I don't trust Rieder or Caggiula to set up Benning, Strome or Pulju for a good one timer...

I think you are really Dazed and Confused. Who's the Irish player? ;)

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
[QUOTE="Dazed and Confused, post: 149602375, member: 58561"]In my defence it is nearly 11pm here, and it's too late for proper spelling... Though you would think with the number of times I've written "McDavid", my phone would know to autocorrect it :laugh:[/QUOTE]

hey

that is my corner block and excuse --that and posting when very drunk

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The swarm was a defensive system. This sounds like an offense type system.

Strudwick is saying they would be very aggressive in their own end, with three guys moving towards the puck when it's in the corner. That is what the swarm was. Take chances leaving guys open with the idea that they won't be able to get the puck to them under pressure.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Strudwick is saying they would be very aggressive in their own end, with three guys moving towards the puck when it's in the corner. That is what the swarm was. Take chances leaving guys open with the idea that they won't be able to get the puck to them under pressure.

I guess we will see if Strudwick is right. Three guys sounds difficult.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Is it just me or did we use that weird PK formation today where one guy pinches out to the point leaving a whole bunch wide open?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Is it just me or did we use that weird PK formation today where one guy pinches out to the point leaving a whole bunch wide open?

Yeah I thought the PK was really weak honestly. I didnt like the formation. Whether thats the system or the players being rusty, I dunno. Seemed like the flames had a ton of room.

I thought the PP was pretty awful too, especially the earlier pp's. Even the Bear goal ... the pp was ugly. Looked a bit better in the third period.

I thought the defensive system wasnt great in general. Lots of broken plays in the Oilers end. They did have a pretty good third period though.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah I thought the PK was really weak honestly. I didnt like the formation. Whether thats the system or the players being rusty, I dunno. Seemed like the flames had a ton of room.

I thought the PP was pretty awful too, especially the earlier pp's. Even the Bear goal ... the pp was ugly. Looked a bit better in the third period.

I thought the defensive system wasnt great in general. Lots of broken plays in the Oilers end. They did have a pretty good third period though.
Todd straight up said today to not look into systems at all and if you want to judge systems in the game tonight or special teams, just don't.

Early camp is so little systems work and more getting the guys up to speed.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Guy had 3 points in 10 games. He wasn't great by any means
Oh yes he was, by all means he was great, awesome or whatever's your preference. Best D in the tournament, also robbed for MVP of the entire tournament (the last one is opinion of course, not only mine, also a couple of journalists were on the same page).

I thought we went over this already. That doesn't mean he'll play the same way this season or that he should be on the PP. But credit should be given were credit is due.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2 and nabob

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Was he an all-star because of his offense or because he was a solid shutdown defender?
Because he was the best defender...

Showed great instincts in the offense, could have easily gotten more points if team mates woukd have executed or his 2 or 3 post-outs would have been post-in. Solid as a rock on D, punishing opponents all over the ice. Great movements and puck moving. When OEL defers break-outs to you more than often it means you are doing something right.

Edit: not to turn this into an Adam Larsson thread. Point is you are off the marks with you take on his WHC. Doesn't matter what stats you bring up, I watched all the games, as did several others with no bias, and Larsson came out on top for everyone. Doesn't matter for this season, but that is another story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol and ujju2

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Guy had 3 points in 10 games. He wasn't great by any means
You have to be careful making a conclusion based on these numbers. It is a small sample size but it prorates to 24 ppp over 82 games which would be top 10 in the league last year for defensemen.

{Added in edit: You can ignore this post. Thanks to LaGu for pointing out that all Larsson's points were ES. Though 24 ES points is not at all shabby for a guy with Larsson's defensive game.)

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
You have to be careful making a conclusion based on these numbers. It is a small sample size but it prorates to 24 ppp over 82 games which would be top 10 in the league last year for defensemen.
He only scored EV points, the 3 pts in 10 GP were the totals.
This will go down to people choosing to watch the numbers or watch the games (i.e. re-runs if they missed it). As I said, by anyones account who followed the tournament he was great, and he could have racked up several more points with just a little bit of more luck. He was also team leader in +- with +13, only behind two Finns for the tournament (that is an important detail to remember, because the Finns went 23-2 in their first 3 games vs South Korea, Lativa and Norway so their +- is pretty high and maybe not as telling as it could be; it's a bit like Kane "MVP" who scored 8 out of his 20 pts vs South Korea and Norway...).

EDIT: sorry for going off topic.

Are there more cuts announced today before the Vancouver game?
I seem to remember that they often said before-hand when cuts were coming, but I could be wrong about that.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He only scored EV points, the 3 pts in 10 GP were the totals.
This will go down to people choosing to watch the numbers or watch the games (i.e. re-runs if they missed it). As I said, by anyones account who followed the tournament he was great, and he could have racked up several more points with just a little bit of more luck. He was also team leader in +- with +13, only behind two Finns for the tournament (that is an important detail to remember, because the Finns went 23-2 in their first 3 games vs South Korea, Lativa and Norway so their +- is pretty high and maybe not as telling as it could be; it's a bit like Kane "MVP" who scored 8 out of his 20 pts vs South Korea and Norway...).

EDIT: sorry for going off topic.

Are there more cuts announced today before the Vancouver game?
I seem to remember that they often said before-hand when cuts were coming, but I could be wrong about that.

Thanks for pointing this out. I have edited my post above. I also agree that in the games I saw he looked fantastic. Of course I am perhaps somewhat biased because I think a lot more highly of Larsson than many here. I love watching him in person because he is such a physical force. BUt he also gets less credit than he deserves for his ability to move the puck.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If he had been held off the score sheet, you know there would be posters harping on that.

I thought he looked pretty good last game, even though the competition was weak. Looking forward to seeing him light it up with Mcjesus
Fixed it for you

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Crazy question, if McLeod has another strong game, does anyone else want to see him on the wing with Nuge and McDavid for a bit in the preseason?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Crazy question, if McLeod has another strong game, does anyone else want to see him on the wing with Nuge and McDavid for a bit in the preseason?

He's a left shot... so probably not just because that would be 3 LHS on the same line. Team really needs to find someone with a RHS to play with McD and RNH.

Rattie
JP
Aberg
Yamamoto

Those are probably the most likely candidates to end up auditioning there and right now it's Rattie's spot to lose.

It's not out of the question to have a LHS like McLeod try out there but my feeling is that they are going to try and develop some chemistry in lines in this camp and might not do as much juggling as in past camps. They want to accelerate that process of finding what works before they head overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad