News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I have Yamamoto over Puljujarvi but both are excellent prospects. Obviously very different types of players but I think both will be solid top 6 players... both need patience and time to achieve their maximum potential.

Reactions: lakai17

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

3ffa19bfc08837cce97d38c1ed287fdd

Reactions: Yeah15

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I am not sure about that he cannot keep up because McD and Drai process the game at a higher level. Krejci made his living out of processing the game, smart play and excellent vision. It's on looch to bounce back in terms of effort, McD and Drai are smart enough to understand how to play with Lucic (if they play together).

i think right now when his confidence still isn't great, he will have troubles with those two. Krejci might not have played with as much pace and might have also accommodated his play to get the best out of looch etc. i don't think drai and connor play that way. i think, as of now, if you play on connor's or drai's line YOU have to accommodate to THEM. they don't accommodate to you. i think this is why some of the best players may not be easy to play with. some of the good players a level below may be easier to play with (like Krejci, Oates, etc etc) because they can accommodate their game to any linemates they get.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country

Well here's the first attempted PP units. I like that the first unit is loaded up. Lucic meh, as long as he's commanding the net front. All lefties though, so all one timers are gonna come from one side.
Not a fan of Caggiula on the 2nd unit, I'd rather McDavid double shift and run that spot. I feel there a better option even if you don't double shift Connor. Benning meh, but he does have some decent offensive instincts when he's playing confident.
If the 1-3-1 is anything to follow, sounds like Pulju has the left half wall spot which is good news.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Could be. Rieder is pretty much a German version of Todd Marchant. hard working fast player that skates miles and can stretch clubs up and down the wing. Rieder is fast on forecheck and while he doesn't win many puck battles alone he at least sets up 50/50 chaos situations which Drai is good taking advantage of.

I would say Todd was more physical whereas Rieder has comparable hands. Neither is a classic goal scorer, both need tons of setups to get their goals but they both put themselves in good situations enough to get them. Rieder is in prime. Very good chance he could put up 20goals or 40pts playing with Drai. If he gets a regular dose of that I would almost bank on it.

i think Rieder has significantly more natural talent than Marchant ever did. It may or may not translate to better numbers but he certainly has far better hands. He may not be quite as explosive or have that upper 1 percentile speed Marchant had but yes he is also very quick.

Wouldn't surprise me if Rieder puts up some impressive numbers should he and Drai mesh and he gets that confidence snowball growing. So much has to do with confidence and feeling good mojo.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Still seems like our coaching staff is really stubborn. Lucic shouldnt be on the first unit PP.
I guess, I mean to advocate for the Devil, it's early in camp and the extended new Coaching staff are getting a feel for the players. I would suspect Lucic probably comes off that group at some point.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Still seems like our coaching staff is really stubborn. Lucic shouldnt be on the first unit PP.
I think he's fine if they have him stand in front of the net. He shouldn't be handling the puck on the side boards or at the blue line like Woodcroft insisted on.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think he's fine if they have him stand in front of the net. He shouldn't be handling the puck on the side boards or at the blue line like Woodcroft insisted on.

Yeah I do agree with that. He spent too much time off to the side of the net.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
i think Rieder has significantly more natural talent than Marchant ever did. It may or may not translate to better numbers but he certainly has far better hands. He may not be quite as explosive or have that upper 1 percentile speed Marchant had but yes he is also very quick.

Wouldn't surprise me if Rieder puts up some impressive numbers should he and Drai mesh and he gets that confidence snowball growing. So much has to do with confidence and feeling good mojo.

hey, few people remember but Marchant did put up one 60pt season. Mostly he was around 30-40. he wasn't a plug. Just not reliable scorer and if he was he would have been an allstar.

But he scored the right times and I loved him just the same!

Theres few bigger moments in Oilers lore than the Marchant OT game 7 tally series winner.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Does anyone rely on a point shot anymore?

Early days, but it sure seems like TMac isn't going to give Puljujarvi a real shot with the talent.
He wasn't on the PP at all really last year and he is on the second this year. That's a start.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Those PP units are.....something. 5 left shots on our top PP?

I think the idea is to use McDavid on his natural wing. It opens klefbom, drai and rnh for one time options. I suggested the oilers do this while watching the jets in the playoffs. They run 4 right shots on their top unit. Laine, buff and scheifele for one time options with wheeler (also a right shot) on his natural side as the QB setting them all up. Then whoever in front of the net. It was stastny for them at the time.

Removes Connor as a one time option but gives us three shooting options.

The devils also did something similar with Hall as their PPQB IIRC.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Not single RH shooter on first PP unit. I mean seriously.
Handicapping ourselves.
We have seen this kind of setup fail so many times in Finnish National team.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
1st PP unit probably has Mcdavid on the right half wall to feed onetimers to all the left shots. Lucic as a net front presence is fine with me. 2nd unit will probably be more of a grind it out/crash the net PP unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad