Buffalo Bills Training Camp - July 16 (rookies), July 23 (veterans)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It's a tough one.

The player will presumably want to sign later after what he hopes will be another productive season.

The team will presumably want to sign later due to the injuries & the fact he's only had one good season.

But we know Beane loves to sign his own guys & he has always had stiffy for Brown. I do hope that Beane becomes a little less trigger happy at throwing money around, given the cap problems he's currently having to deal with.
Given his injury history, I imagine Brown is actually fairly motivated to get a deal done before the season

Reactions: Dingo44

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Given his injury history, I imagine Brown is actually fairly motivated to get a deal done before the season
If Beane lets him walk, and another team signs him for $15-20M, would the Bills be in line for a meaningful compensatory pick?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If Beane lets him walk, and another team signs him for $15-20M, would the Bills be in line for a meaningful compensatory pick?
Maybe, if they lose more FAs than they sign. But given the work they've done to get cap compliant next year, and that they'll probably have $20+ million in space once they make obvious moves like cutting Von and restructuring Allen, etc., it wouldn't surprise me if we're adding more than we're losing.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Maybe, if they lose more FAs than they sign. But given the work they've done to get cap compliant next year, and that they'll probably have $20+ million in space once they make obvious moves like cutting Von and restructuring Allen, etc., it wouldn't surprise me if we're adding more than we're losing.

I'm kind of curious to see if Beane works out a one or two year extension for Josh, to try and bring next year's cap down instead. Speaking almost entirely out of ignorance, of course. I just don't see Beane going into 2025 with Josh occupying almost 20% of the cap.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'm kind of curious to see if Beane works out a one or two year extension for Josh, to try and bring next year's cap down instead. Speaking almost entirely out of ignorance, of course. I just don't see Beane going into 2025 with Josh occupying almost 20% of the cap.
They’ve already brought Allen’s cap number in 2025 down to 43 million, and could trim another 10 off with another restructure next offseason if they choose. An extension will happen eventually, but I think we’re a couple years away. Generally I agree they’ll will mostly keep pushing his biggest cap hits off to years when he’s not on the team.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I don't think Beane is going to go crazy. He got badly burned with Miller & i hope he's learned his lesson there. I expect him to prioritise 'his' guys, eg Rousseau, Brown, then continue to make smart mid tier FA signings where he always seems to get value. He's already had to dig himself out of one hole - i don't see him creating another.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
What lesson are you hoping he learned? Don't let a guy who was on pace for 14 sacks tear his ACL?

The dude was absolutely as advertised when he was brought in. You can knock the term, but that was the only way he was signing in Buffalo. If he sees another chance to shoot his shot, I hope he does it every time.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Matt Parrino on wgr:

Damar Hamlin is flying around again, don't be surprised if he is a important part of the secondary again.

Beane may wait until closer to the trade deadline to add a cheaper rental like Mathew Judon at pass rusher

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
What lesson are you hoping he learned? Don't let a guy who was on pace for 14 sacks tear his ACL?

The dude was absolutely as advertised when he was brought in. You can knock the term, but that was the only way he was signing in Buffalo. If he sees another chance to shoot his shot, I hope he does it every time.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Oh i haven't forgotten the heat i took from everyone else in this thread for criticising the signing at the time. Literally everyone else was convinced that Miller would single handedly win the SB. It was pathetic.

Unfortunately I've been proven right with the benefit of hindsight. But it wasn't difficult. It absolutely boggles my mind that some people still think it was a good move.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Von was a worthwhile swing, but the risk of injury was absolutely foreseeable. Old players get injured! If they're taking big "over the top" swings going forward, I'd much prefer they be on players not on the wrong side of 30, even knowing you have to pay a premium for premium age.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Oh i haven't forgotten the heat i took from everyone else in this thread for criticising the signing at the time. Literally everyone else was convinced that Miller would single handedly win the SB. It was pathetic.

Unfortunately I've been proven right with the benefit of hindsight. But it wasn't difficult. It absolutely boggles my mind that some people still think it was a good move.
I don't really get this take. I don't think "everyone" thought Miller would single handedly win us a Super Bowl. We had issues rushing the passer the year before and a hall of fame pash rusher with 9.5 sacks the year before became available. He was signed to basically a three year deal (25 out) and was very good the first 10 games with 8 sacks but hurt his knee. ACL injuries around Thanksgiving or later are brutal as it kills 1.5 seasons after surgery, rehab and building the knee back up to 100%. In hindsight sure it would have been nice to have that cap back but we also don't know the extent of how he helped other lineman like Rousseau.

The move was a swing that paid off in the beginning and has a chance to pay off at the end. I'd take the gamble again.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Von was a worthwhile swing, but the risk of injury was absolutely foreseeable. Old players get injured! If they're taking big "over the top" swings going forward, I'd much prefer they be on players not on the wrong side of 30, even knowing you have to pay a premium for premium age.
The Diggs trade was a perfect example of this. Yes, it cost us a 1st-round pick, but we got four excellent years of production out of it. And had it not been for personality differences, he'd still be here producing. It was a good investment. All it really cost the Bills was cap space, in the end.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

That never happened.

Your posts in this thread are great, but they would be so much better if you dropped the bizarre internet victim mentality. It’s a discussion board, people debate and have arguments….doesn’t mean they were giving you heat, or against you, or that they were pathetic.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Fuuuuuuu

SmartSelect_20240611_153019_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events