Value of: Trading Draisaitl

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
The Oilers won't trade Draisaitl. That said, I'll join the mad flurry and also do a proposal for the guy, for no reason at all other than my own twisted enjoyment.

From MTL:

- Tatar (good top-6 W for depth, makes 4,8M$ and we could retain)
- Danault (elite third-line center, borderline second-line center with good defense making about 3M$ and we could retain)
- Brook (awesome defense prospect)
- Suzuki (once again, really good forward prospect)
- 2019 1st round pick

To MTL:

- Draisaitl

So, 2 roster players to add depth for a lesser caphit than Drai, 2 really good prospects, and a first-round pick. In terms of pure value its a lot to give up, but then again Draisaitl is an absolutely incredible player on his own.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Are we doing this again and McDavid proposals will soon follow...

Nacho - Kidding.gif

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Would Oiler fans be open to a deal with Preds involving two (very good) players for Draisaitl? Would the Preds?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would Oiler fans be open to a deal with Preds involving two (very good) players for Draisaitl? Would the Preds?

If one of them is Subban, no. Ellis/Ekholm/Josi we could have discussions. But trading Draisaitl would blow such a hole in our forwards it would need to be something like Draisaitl+Sekera/Russell for small forward downgrade and massive defensive upgrade. If you get my meaning.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The Oilers won't trade Draisaitl. That said, I'll join the mad flurry and also do a proposal for the guy, for no reason at all other than my own twisted enjoyment.

From MTL:

- Tatar (good top-6 W for depth, makes 4,8M$ and we could retain)
- Danault (elite third-line center, borderline second-line center with good defense making about 3M$ and we could retain)
- Brook (awesome defense prospect)
- Suzuki (once again, really good forward prospect)
- 2019 1st round pick

To MTL:

- Draisaitl

So, 2 roster players to add depth for a lesser caphit than Drai, 2 really good prospects, and a first-round pick. In terms of pure value its a lot to give up, but then again Draisaitl is an absolutely incredible player on his own.

Doesn’t get it done but credit for not including junk like Hudon or Alzner for cap purposes.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
That isn't a fair trade for Edmonton. Would you take that for Mackinnon?
It's very différent as situation. Mackinnon is our 1c and we don't have a second . Edmonton has 1c ( one of the best) and Draisaitl is 1w or 2c. If we give Mack for Draisaitl is like 1$ for 4 quarter. But for you ,you still have a top 1c ,2c,and Hugues or Kakko( elc contract) for 3 year and Lucic is not a problem until the end of his contract.plus a top OD RHD and i young guy with 2 last season 40 points without a dominant linemate.
But if i was Sakic i never do that.
Barrie +1st Avs 2019 +1st Avs2020 Kerfoot
For Draisaitl and Lucic(33%)

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
It's very différent as situation. Mackinnon is our 1c and we don't have a second . Edmonton has 1c ( one of the best) and Draisaitl is 1w or 2c. If we give Mack for Draisaitl is like 1$ for 4 quarter. But for you ,you still have a top 1c ,2c,and Hugues or Kakko( elc contract) for 3 year and Lucic is not a problem until the end of his contract.plus a top OD RHD and i young guy with 2 last season 40 points without a dominant linemate.
But if i was Sakic i never do that.
Barrie +1st Avs 2019 +1st Avs2020 Kerfoot
For Draisaitl and Lucic(33%)

That doesn't get it done. Look at it from an Oiler perspective. Wht would they trade a young, 100 point foward for anything less than a #1D? Those don't grow on trees, admittedly, and they rarely become available. However the Oilers shouldn't be downgrading talent anymore than they already have.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
You are looking at Drai in a micro situation of the Oilers overall situation, if you take an objective look at the macro there is a ticking "time bomb" in McDavid and if the Oilers do not get "good" in a hurry there's a worse scenario waiting which may destroy whatever reputation Oilers have left as a franchise (players want to play).

Draisaitl is not a “decent asset”. He is one of the best assets in the NHL. Intelligent teams don’t trade the likes of Draisaitl for depth. Stupid teams with no plan or foresight do that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You are looking at Drai in a micro situation of the Oilers overall situation, if you take an objective look at the macro there is a ticking "time bomb" in McDavid and if the Oilers do not get "good" in a hurry there's a worse scenario waiting which may destroy whatever reputation Oilers have left as a franchise (players want to play).

“Edmonton’s forwards are horrible and we don’t wanna make McDavid mad so we’d better trade his best friend who also happens to be one of the best forwards in the league”

There is NO scenario where trading Draisaitl makes the Oilers a better team unless a team like your Flyers offers Couturier+Patrick+Konecny. That’s not happening, so trading Draisaitl is not happening.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
There's always a team out there willing to overpay for a player like Drai, Oilers GM just has to find them.

So what is the solution? Wait another 3-4 years an rebuild? As an Owner that is an awfully risky move for the entire franchise, where the the #1 player might just leave and then also at the same time destroy the organization's reputation.

I would wager that McDavid values his career accomplishments over playing with his buddy and not ever having a real chance at the Stanley Cup. If McDavid is content with choosing Drai over having a competitive team then I guess there is no urgency for the Oilers to improve.

“Edmonton’s forwards are horrible and we don’t wanna make McDavid mad so we’d better trade his best friend who also happens to be one of the best forwards in the league”

There is NO scenario where trading Draisaitl makes the Oilers a better team unless a team like your Flyers offers Couturier+Patrick+Konecny. That’s not happening, so trading Draisaitl is not happening.

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Talk about over reaction. McDavid is pissed his team missed the playoffs... shocker!!

If the Oilers trade Draisaitl for most of the offers in this thread they are even further away from winning. Unless you are getting 2-3 very, very good young and mostly cost controlled young pieces (like the Philadelphia or Tampa offers) then you absolutely do not even consider it.

Other than that you sit tight and wait for the Chiarelli contracts/acquisitions to expire (Lucic, Russell, Gagner, Sekera, Manning... and likely add Koskinen to this list) and hope some of your young promising players (Bouchard, Jones, Samorukov, Bear, Berglund, Yamamoto, Benson, Marody, Maksimov, McLeod, 2019 pick(s)... even Puljujarvi) continue to develop in the right direction. I guess just sit back and "enjoy" the next two years.

If we have 4-5 ELCs in the line-up and rid ourselves of the dead weight contracts... not to mention the cap increases... we should be in a significantly better position. I fully understand the right moves will still need to be made by the new GM with signings and FA signings... but that goes without saying with any successful team.

The most important part of this process is that the new GM/coach have open effective two communications with the core guys, so they understand the vision and you have their buy-in.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There's always a team out there willing to overpay for a player like Drai, Oilers GM just has to find them.

So what is the solution? Wait another 3-4 years an rebuild? As an Owner that is an awfully risky move for the entire franchise, where the the #1 player might just leave and then also at the same time destroy the organization's reputation.

I would wager that McDavid values his career accomplishments over playing with his buddy and not ever having a real chance at the Stanley Cup. If McDavid is content with choosing Drai over having a competitive team then I guess there is no urgency for the Oilers to improve.

How does trading Draisaitl for unmentioned lesser pieces make the Oilers a better team? How does losing Draisaitl but adding a bunch of stuff make the team better?

The problem isn’t that the high end players aren’t good enough, it’s that 1) the oilers don’t have enough difference makers and 2) the depth is bad. Depth is much more easily acquired than a player of Draisaitl’s talent.

If you think the GM should be able to find this “overpay” then suggest a deal. Make the Oilers better by trading Draisaitl.

Reactions: Sacul

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
You have to look no further than depth acquisitions like Eric Lindros (Nordiques/Avs got stacked and won a Cup) , Joe Thornton (Bruins won a cup with the depth acquired), Wayne Gretzky (Oilers won another Cup after he left), Phil Esposito (Bruins won a Cup after he was traded to Rangers), Paul Coffey (RedWings traded him and won a Cup).

Those are just a few teams who traded a star player for depth and then went on to become better...

How does trading Draisaitl for unmentioned lesser pieces make the Oilers a better team? How does losing Draisaitl but adding a bunch of stuff make the team better?

The problem isn’t that the high end players aren’t good enough, it’s that 1) the oilers don’t have enough difference makers and 2) the depth is bad. Depth is much more easily acquired than a player of Draisaitl’s talent.

If you think the GM should be able to find this “overpay” then suggest a deal. Make the Oilers better by trading Draisaitl.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You have to look no further than depth acquisitions like Eric Lindros (Nordiques/Avs got stacked and won a Cup) , Joe Thornton (Bruins won a cup with the depth acquired), Wayne Gretzky (Oilers won another Cup after he left), Phil Esposito (Bruins won a Cup after he was traded to Rangers), Paul Coffey (RedWings traded him and won a Cup).

Those are just a few teams who traded a star player for depth and then went on to become better...

Lindros was one of the biggest trades in NHL history - someone wants to offer a package like that for Draisaitl I’m listening. Gretzky was sold and the Oilers weren’t made better for it. The Thornton trade was miserable for Boston and not a single piece they got back was still there for the Cup. Coffey/Shanahan was shuffling deck chairs. Esposito was 40 years ago with no salary cap.

So really the only two comparables were a crooked owner selling his best player to pay personal debts and a horrible Thornton for spare crap trade. Hard pass.

Reactions: Sacul

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
That doesn't get it done. Look at it from an Oiler perspective. Wht would they trade a young, 100 point foward for anything less than a #1D? Those don't grow on trees, admittedly, and they rarely become available. However the Oilers shouldn't be downgrading talent anymore than they already have.

Nobody with a brain is giving up a #1D worthy of the name for Draisaitl. Drai is a good player but he’s a winger whose output is heavily dependent on playing with one of the best players in the world. If Drai were putting up those numbers while playing center and carrying his own line then it’d be a different story, but he hasn’t proven to be capable of either of those things and nobody is trading a 1D for a winger whose scoring would likely plummet the moment he’s separated from McDavid.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nobody with a brain is giving up a #1D worthy of the name for Draisaitl. Drai is a good player but he’s a winger whose output is heavily dependent on playing with one of the best players in the world. If Drai were putting up those numbers while playing center and carrying his own line then it’d be a different story, but he hasn’t proven to be capable of either of those things and nobody is trading a 1D for a winger whose scoring would likely plummet the moment he’s separated from McDavid.

Draisaitl isn’t getting moved then. Easy peasy. Though I wonder How Point or Kucherov would fare playing with Rieder/Lucic/Chiasson. Easy to pull the holier than thou “drive a line!” card when your team’s “lesser” linemates are guys like Gourde and Stamkos and Johnson.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Well, the moment he was separated from McDavid(missed 4 games) this year he had 5 points.....103 point pace.

Reactions: TFHockey

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

The pieces that Boston got for Thornton had literally nothing to do with their Cup.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Depends on how you define very good players...

I'd really just rather keep draisaitl than do anything else. 6'3 speedsters with elite size, skill, and hockey sense don't grow on trees. This player is one of the five to ten most valuable players in the league.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Lindros was one of the biggest trades in NHL history - someone wants to offer a package like that for Draisaitl I’m listening. Gretzky was sold and the Oilers weren’t made better for it. The Thornton trade was miserable for Boston and not a single piece they got back was still there for the Cup. Coffey/Shanahan was shuffling deck chairs. Esposito was 40 years ago with no salary cap.

So really the only two comparables were a crooked owner selling his best player to pay personal debts and a horrible Thornton for spare crap trade. Hard pass.

Value of malkin threads used to run into the same issue. While hes definitely a star player and those are rarely dealt it's not for the overwhelming overpayments people talk about for a generational player.
The lindros to the rangers deal would be your best pre cap comparison. Its actually what i based my proposal on.
Edmonton gambled on a 1for1 with a star and lost bad so i understand the hesitation. Yet it needs to be accepted that drai will be the best current player in a deal

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
The best outcome from this proposal would likely be a 3 way trade. Use Drai as bait to dump 2 other contracts (1 per team) and get picks in return - as a means to BEGIN the rebuild. Other than that, I don't see much value in trading him for other players

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
All these non Oilers fans get it... Why don't you.

Trading Draisaitl would make Mcdavid request a trade immediately. Trading a 23 year old with almost 50 goals and 100+ points is NOT part of the solution. Especially when said 23 year old is still signed for 6 more years at a bargain of a cap hit.
you have to acquire talent ,surround Mcdavid with said talent,and feel some pain for at least 2 more seasons and no,Lou Lamorello is not available

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad