Value of: Trading Draisaitl

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Answer possibly. If you got two good young wingers and a good top 4 rhd. Then you do it unless you think you can draft the help before one or both your stars demand a trade.

If you dont do that then you need to drop cap or trade futures away to get some of your cap space back then make a legit offer to a good ufa or two. Unfortunately i dont see many teams taking lucic and other cap high players from you.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
That doesn’t get it done. Quick and easy no from Edmonton. Ghost/Patrick is just not a good enough starting point regardless of how many futures get tacked on.

Precisely, I think. There's probably wiggle room for the two teams to make a deal just given the sheer volume of young talent the Flyers have to work with, but it mostly depends on who ends up GM in Edmonton and what his timetable looks like.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Call me a homer, but I figure it's fair to call Drai a superstar at this point.
How often has a team ever got legit value for a superstar?
Drai has already cracked 100 points and this season and he's flirting with 50 goals with a few games to go.
@8.5M with the cap going up to 83M next season how on earth are we expected to get value for that player?

The notion of trading Drai or Hopkins is almost as senseless as trading McDavid. It just can't be done.
There might be a GM out there that would be crazy enough to be willing to gamble on Sekera and Klefbom staying healthy and trade Nurse (for RHD) and Larsson (for top 9 forward) away but our top 3 forwards can't go anywhere.

Edmonton has made their bed and crapped all over it. They've gotta clean the sheets and there's no quick fix to get out of this. I know we've got the cap space to make 2 small moves or 1 medium or slightly largish move in the off-season but it's not going to be something the revamps the team. We should be better, but there's no trade out there that makes us a Tampa bay.

If we were not governed by the OBC I'd say it's safe to say that our team has learned their lesson and is actually cool with building through the draft like most sane teams, but you all know that sounds like crazy talk.

Reactions: Sacul and Nightrain

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Agreed, if we cant make the playoffs with 2 great players we should definitely trade one and give ourselves a better shot with only 1 great player.
I didn't say it was necessarily right to trade Drai but if your franchise continues to flounder next year, then a change in the culture of the team will be necessary...and instead of being top heavy with 2 talents like Drai and Connor, you could exchange Drai for many nice pieces.....regardless I think something major will happen next summer if the Oilers miss the playoffs again.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I'm bored so don't anyone take this personal now.

to PHI:
Draisaitl

to EDM:
Couturier
Konecny
Sanheim
I wouldn't give that package for mcdavid. Trading for drai would hurt and there'ss pieces I'd make available that wouldn't be for a different player.
I'm thinking
Voracek obrien zamula
Or
Konecny myers laughton ersson

I didn't put any picks in because i see the point of moving drai to be sending a help is on the way message. Package one gives you someone who can drive a line now and some very promising futures a year into thier development. Package 2 is young depth with upside. It answers immediately who will play with mcdavid.
I remember a time when Philly had the best player in the world and couldn't Marshall the depth behind him before it was too late. Trading recchi was essential to what success they had though he was clearly the second best player on the team. Im not locked in to either deal but i figured id explain a little of the reasoning to better capture value

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
If the Oilers get a chance to trade Drai for three decent young wingers, they should take it.

They would be immensely better.

Put two on both sides of McDavid and on RNH's left side. Then package the leftovers for another serviceable winger for Ganger. All of a sudden you have three lines instead of one.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the Oilers get a chance to trade Drai for three decent young wingers, they should take it.

They would be immensely better.

Put two on both sides of McDavid and on RNH's left side. Then package the leftovers for another serviceable winger for Ganger. All of a sudden you have three lines instead of one.

Or they could just draft a skilled forward with that top 7 pick they have, trade Puljujarvi for a Toffoli or a cap strap situation like Kapanen, and bring back Maroon for peanuts (plays well with McDavid).

And like y'know keep the 49 goal, 100+ point center/winger who's only 23 years old. Crazy idea.

Wingers are not that hard to acquire if you aren't a total moron like Chiarelli was. Mike Hoffman was just sitting there for the taking in the summer last year and they opted to go with a combination of Reider and Strome (who became Spooner and then eventually Gagner) for the same amount of money.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Or they could just draft a skilled forward with that top 7 pick they have, trade Puljujarvi for a Toffoli or a cap strap situation like Kapanen, and bring back Maroon for peanuts (plays well with McDavid).

And like y'know keep the 49 goal, 100+ point center/winger who's only 23 years old. Crazy idea.

Wingers are not that hard to acquire if you aren't a total moron like Chiarelli was. Mike Hoffman was just sitting there for the taking in the summer last year and they opted to go with a combination of Reider and Strome (who became Spooner and then eventually Gagner) for the same amount of money.

Uhhh... Mike Hoffman's situation is what one might call "unique". And it was a Dorion trade. I wouldn't pin your trade hopes on another criminal harassment case going down in the Senators' locker room, but, crazier things have happened.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Call me a homer, but I figure it's fair to call Drai a superstar at this point.
How often has a team ever got legit value for a superstar?
Drai has already cracked 100 points and this season and he's flirting with 50 goals with a few games to go.
@8.5M with the cap going up to 83M next season how on earth are we expected to get value for that player?

The notion of trading Drai or Hopkins is almost as senseless as trading McDavid. It just can't be done.
There might be a GM out there that would be crazy enough to be willing to gamble on Sekera and Klefbom staying healthy and trade Nurse (for RHD) and Larsson (for top 9 forward) away but our top 3 forwards can't go anywhere.

Edmonton has made their bed and crapped all over it. They've gotta clean the sheets and there's no quick fix to get out of this. I know we've got the cap space to make 2 small moves or 1 medium or slightly largish move in the off-season but it's not going to be something the revamps the team. We should be better, but there's no trade out there that makes us a Tampa bay.

If we were not governed by the OBC I'd say it's safe to say that our team has learned their lesson and is actually cool with building through the draft like most sane teams, but you all know that sounds like crazy talk.

You are a homer! One amazing season especially in a season where scoring is at all time high doesn't make you a superstar. McDavid superstar, Kucharov superstar, Crosby superstar, Draisaitl isn't a superstar.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
leave drai and mcd alone. Leave klef, nurse and larsson alone. Trade nuge for a top 4 solid d (caveat: one that really fits the team), pick up some decent forward ufa's and blast lucic to saturn.

Reactions: MC2D

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Seems to me the issue in Edmonton isn't their good players but it's the ones that aren't that good getting paid like they are. Best Bet may be to suck it up and attach whatever you have to to get rid of some of the dead weight.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
You are a homer! One amazing season especially in a season where scoring is at all time high doesn't make you a superstar. McDavid superstar, Kucharov superstar, Crosby superstar, Draisaitl isn't a superstar.

The guy with name "Toronto Born" is calling another guy a homer? :sarcasm:

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
So the Leafs don't have any great players?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Well, if you took the time to have read the post I quoted you would have seen why I wrote that. Yup! Toronto Born and proud of it.

I happen to agree that one season does not make a player a super star. However multiple 70 point seasons and a 100 point season probably means you're there.

Reactions: Sacul

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
So the Leafs don't have any great players?

Nope not at the moment. JT is the closest thing that we have. It takes a lot to be a great player and it takes a lot to be a superstar. There are guys who have the ability to be great but that's it.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Nope not at the moment. JT is the closest thing that we have. It takes a lot to be a great player and it takes a lot to be a superstar. There are guys who have the ability to be great but that's it.

Geez I'd say Marner fits that description... or at least in the conversation. Maybe we can just agree on "Star" player in the NHL, not superstar.

Semantics, but whatevs.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Geez I'd say Marner fits that description... or at least in the conversation. Maybe we can just agree on "Star" player in the NHL, not superstar.

Semantics, but whatevs.

I guess everyone has a different definition of a superstar but yes I could agree with you on being a star. There aren't too many superstars in this league in my opinion.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

OK. You're right. Maybe I shouldn't have added super on to the star, but he's a legit s tar.
If i owned ea sports those guys you called superstars would be a 95-97 and drai would be 90-92.
Fair? Still, Drai ain't no chop liver and he's gonna score 50!

Reactions: TFHockey

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
OK. You're right. Maybe I shouldn't have added super on to the star, but he's a legit s tar.
If i owned ea sports those guys you called superstars would be a 95-97 and drai would be 90-92.
Fair? Still, Drai ain't no chop liver and he's gonna score 50!

I really hope he can keep up this pace next year.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I really hope he can keep up this pace next year.

Well he isn't an older player on the edge of regression. He is very young player who went from two 70 points seasons to a 100 point season. Odds are he'll be in the same 70-100 point range again next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad