Value of: Trading Draisaitl

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Flyer fans gonna rip you a new one.

Oilers say yes before they see it, no takebacks.
Maybe swap Sanheim for Morin or add Nurse to the original deal? Not sure how much more that moves the needle in the other direction. I just want everyone to be happy.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What if post lottery it's a top 2 pick?

We can't rebuild forever. Draisaitl has proven he is an elite talent, only 23 and signed long term. Also.. to the Avs? I think that the Oilers aren't going to consider any trade for Draisiatl unless it is an offer they simply can't say no to. He is a 100 point forward and Connor McDavid's best friend and linemate. I can't imagine he goes for Barrie and a top 2 pick.

The kind of overpayment it would take to land Draisaitl just aren't made in the NHL unless you're a terrible GM like Chiarelli... and he was so bad he lost his job and is unlikely to ever get another one in the NHL.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I was quietly in the non-Edmonton-fan group that thought turning Draisatl into a smorgasbord of assets and/or cap relief (likely in a series of transactions) was the option for Edmonton, but seeing how close he has gotten to contending for the Rocket has made me rethink that a little bit. Unless, as the swirly-orange-avatared Edmonton poster whose name escapes me at the moment said, the package is too good to be true, I'm more in the wait-and-see what happens in the lottery camp.
@ChaoticOrange is who you're thinking of. :)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It’s the hand we’re dealt with Gagner. By having him on the fourth line at evens I’m trying to emulate what made him so successful in Columbus - limited even strength minutes with heavy PP time.

Kassian is streaky but I’d expect a decent amount of juggling. He’s been fine there for now.

Gambardella I’ve seen enough of to be comfortable with him in a 4th line role. Marody is an elite AHL player, he’d be more than OK in a fourth line role. We also still have Cave under contract if you’d prefer him.

Benson is the biggest question mark which is why I have him with RNH. He and Nyquist are both strong players who could insulate him and show him the ropes. I’m all for overseasoning prospects but for me guys are ready when they’re ready. You can’t look at guys having PPG+ seasons in the AHL and not at least give them a fair crack at a roster spot. High performing players need to be rewarded, otherwise what’s the point of the AHL?

This. There is marinating, and then there is leaving guys down too long. If they have earned a shot, give them a shot. If they fail, send them back down, tell them what they need to work on, and try it again later.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Since trading McDavid would be a treason against the Oilers and Canada in general, and since only a bunch of desperate teams would consider paying a lot for RNH, Draisatl makes the most sense.

1- His value might might never be as high as right now.
2- Just like Crosby before him, I'm pretty sure you could put almost anyone on the McDavid line, and he'll produce like hell.
3- You can't roll a stacked first line and have a bunch of losers everywhere else, that's dumb as hell.

With Drai, you target teams like Tampa Bay, Nashville, San Jose, etc, and ask what d-men are available. You probably could get a monster package for him.

Reactions: Torontoborn

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Nicholson went on a long tangent about pro scouting and just scouting in general... Along with a new GM and Coach we most likely end up with new scouts. Maybe the OBC get moved into different non hockey related positions upstairs (this is the Oilers way of firing them).

Whoever the new GM is will be under pressure to win. The 1st rounder is gonna be traded almost for sure if we don't win a lottery for a top 3 pick. Mcdavid and Drai need help, and they need it now.

A review of the scouting team would be a good start. Win now desire vs build correctly is a tough line to walk for all GM’s.....slippery slope to walk. But also can’t risk having your franchise player & best player in the world become so disenchanted he demands a trade. I’m very interested in seeing the Jets moves this summer......but after that I’m very interested in seeing the Oilers moves this summer. As much as Canadian teams compete with each other, bicker, etc.......I love to see all Canadian teams doing well......it’s been a long time since all the Canadian franchises can say they’re doing well or on the right path at least. Good luck guys

Reactions: 780il

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
When Draisaitl can center his own line then I will believe the hype as of now his numbers are very inflated due to the McDavid factor. Edmonton would be smart to trade this guy while his stock his high.

Draisaitl hasn’t had a winger worth a damn since he was 19.

Toronto fans love to pull the drive a line argument until you point out that Marner plays virtually every second with Tavares. Why don’t the leafs slap Marner on a line with Gauthier and Petan? If he’s really capable of driving a line he should be able to drag a couple of fourth liners to good results the way Draisaitl gets asked to when he plays with Rieder and Chiasson.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Trading any of their current impact players is not the answer. The only options I see them having this offseason is some deals that can clear some cap space, possibly on defense, and to acquire some mid range type forwards from teams wanting to possibly shed salary. Maybe a Connor Brown type player from the Leafs. They may very well be done with Puljujarvi, he could possibly be moved in a deal for a mid range guy. They also need some of the guys on the farm to become good NHL players. Maybe a Yammato, or a Benson.

If they can add a couple mid range players with some speed and offensive skill to support McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH, that would go a long way into making the team more competitive. Obviously defense and goaltending has not necessarily been top notch either, but there may not be many options to make any significant changes this upcoming offseason in those areas.

Last edited:

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Since trading McDavid would be a treason against the Oilers and Canada in general, and since only a bunch of desperate teams would consider paying a lot for RNH, Draisatl makes the most sense.

1- His value might might never be as high as right now.
2- Just like Crosby before him, I'm pretty sure you could put almost anyone on the McDavid line, and he'll produce like hell.
3- You can't roll a stacked first line and have a bunch of losers everywhere else, that's dumb as hell.

With Drai, you target teams like Tampa Bay, Nashville, San Jose, etc, and ask what d-men are available. You probably could get a monster package for him.

Why would Tampa want anything to do with Drai? They already have two elite 1Cs in Point and Stamkos, another top six center in Johnson and a middle six center in Gourde who were both moved to the wing because of the team’s incredible center depth, and an excellent 3C in Cirelli. So they clearly don’t need Drai as a center, and while he’d certainly be a nice addition as a winger the Bolts are tight against the cap and will be losing half their defense at the end of this season. Trading a defenseman for a high-priced winger is about the dumbest thing the Lightning could do right about now.

Reactions: 780il and TFHockey

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Why would Tampa want anything to do with Drai? They already have two elite 1Cs in Point and Stamkos, another top six center in Johnson and a middle six center in Gourde who were both moved to the wing because of the team’s incredible center depth, and an excellent 3C in Cirelli. So they clearly don’t need Drai as a center, and while he’d certainly be a nice addition as a winger the Bolts are tight against the cap and will be losing half their defense at the end of this season. Trading a defenseman for a high-priced winger is about the dumbest thing the Lightning could do right about now.

Said high-priced winger just had a 100 points season. Depending of the ask, Tampa Bay would be completly mad to ignore an offer.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Few packages for fun with the Ducks (assuming Kes/Eaves LTIRetire):

1)
Drai

for

Rakell
Silf
Steel

- Oilers get an entire second line, on great contracts.
- Ducks get a top-tier superstar C to replace Getzlaf for years to come and clear up some of their young winger logjam.

2)
Drai
Nurse

for

Lindholm
Rakell
2019 1st-round (ANA)

- Oil add a 30G+ winger, upgrade on LD to a true top-pairing presence, while saving substantial money. They also add another Top10 lotto pick in this year's draft.
- Ducks downgrade on D but still have a decent Top4 (Fowler, Nurse, Manson, Larsson) as along as the new coach plays more of a 'team D' style. Acquiring Drai speaks for itself and is explained above.

I'd rather relocate than see Draisaitl on the Ducks. (only half kidding...)

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Said high-priced winger just had a 100 points season. Depending of the ask, Tampa Bay would be completly mad to ignore an offer.

We already have three forwards at or just below that level, a defense that is about to lose its three most experienced veterans, and zero cap space to spare. Even if they were offering him for free we would have to either flip him or gut our defense by trading McDonagh (for starters) in order to afford his contract. Sure, if they want to sell him for pennies on the dollar and retain or take back enough salary for us to fit him in capwise we’d be open to it, but there is no realistic trade for him that makes us a better team.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
I do see the oilers making some moves to get into playoff form rather quickly this off-season, I just don't think they will trade drai being it would cost quite a bit to get him, I understand the thought of selling off an A+ and getting 4 B's in return that would round out the team but not many teams can afford the price tag that will come with trading for Drai. they will have to give up some prospects and picks and bring in some proven players. I wouldn't be surprised if 2020 pick is in play as well as this year's first.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
At the end of the day it always seems that Oilers fans are not willing to part with any decent asset, yet are expecting depth talent to come back in a trade when the rest of your roster is trash and teams know that the Oilers are desperate...the only other option is to wait 3-4 years and groom draft picks and weed out trash players; but Oilers fans don't want that either (nor does McDavid)...so then the Oilers stay status quo and stay in this 13 year funk; with McDavid likely leaving for nothing.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Id give the whole team to have him play in mtl, but i really dont think habs have the assests to get him.

Would look nice in a habs jersey.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
At the end of the day it always seems that Oilers fans are not willing to part with any decent asset, yet are expecting depth talent to come back in a trade when the rest of your roster is trash and teams know that the Oilers are desperate...the only other option is to wait 3-4 years and groom draft picks and weed out trash players; but Oilers fans don't want that either (nor does McDavid)...so then the Oilers stay status quo and stay in this 13 year funk; with McDavid likely leaving for nothing.

Draisaitl is not a “decent asset”. He is one of the best assets in the NHL. Intelligent teams don’t trade the likes of Draisaitl for depth. Stupid teams with no plan or foresight do that.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Draisaitl is not a “decent asset”. He is one of the best assets in the NHL. Intelligent teams don’t trade the likes of Draisaitl for depth. Stupid teams with no plan or foresight do that.

Intelligent teams usually doesn't have the holes that the Oilers have, tho. Trading Drai could possibly help you on that. What's the alternative? Statue Quo? Hoping they do something during the Offseason? Continue to tank, for ever?

Stupid teams do the same things again and again, and hope that next year, it will be better. Oilers fans should know that, better than anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad