Value of: Trading Draisaitl

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
While it is fun to speculate on such deals involving Draisaitl, I would imagine of the Oilers miss the playoffs next year, then some massive changes will be forth coming and seeing someone dealt like Drai is a really possibility!

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Not even trying to shit on Oilers fans here, but it's amazing how little they have around McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH considering some of the talent and high draft picks that have been there. That's one of the trickiest solutions to figure out IMO.

Sure, Draisaitl would fetch a huge return, but there's too much value in that deal already to move him. There is no short term fix, but I'd look at moving RNH+2019-2021 1st round picks for young, cost-controlled talent. Easier said than done.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
While it is fun to speculate on such deals involving Draisaitl, I would imagine of the Oilers miss the playoffs next year, then some massive changes will be forth coming and seeing someone dealt like Drai is a really possibility!
Agreed, if we cant make the playoffs with 2 great players we should definitely trade one and give ourselves a better shot with only 1 great player.

Reactions: Sacul

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Here's the biggest underlying issue with trading Drais:

You need to establish a clear and realistic direction for the team that makes the most sense for where they are at, but also show how moving Drais helps that. Personally I feel like there are a lot of differing views here and a lot of fans aren't emotionally ready to discuss and accept some of those options.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
Not a chance

Drai didn't even play at 18. he put up 50 pts as a 20 year old which Kotka will certainly do at 19 next year.

plus A prospect chances at a #1 RHD and starting goalie.

Anyways the value is there and certainly there is a "chance" Edm gm would do this. Not sure how many habs fans would make this deal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

What's not clear? I get it if you're an oilers fan who doesn't like the value...or an avs fan who thinks that's an overpay...but I don't see what's confusing about that proposal?

Tyson Barrie, the Ottawa 1st that Colorado controls this year & Alexander Kerfoot's RFA rights for Drae and Ethan Bear.

Probably hurts us more than it helps with the hole that Barrie's departure would open up, but I love Drae & would really enjoy watching him in Burgundy & Blue.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
I'll put it in PlayStation hockey terms
Simple question

Would you trade a 95 overall player for three players around 85

That's this discussion in a nutshell

Since those 85 players would prob be 95's playing with Mcdavid and *Drai prob an 85 without him... absolutely !

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Drai didn't even play at 18. he put up 50 pts as a 20 year old which Kotka will certainly do at 19 next year.

plus A prospect chances at a #1 RHD and starting goalie.

Anyways the value is there and certainly there is a "chance" Edm gm would do this. Not sure how many habs fans would make this deal.
Drai is already an established 100 point scorer... Only 23, best friends with Mcdavid, very dedicated to the community, and on a steal of a contract.

Trading him for Kotkaniemi and 2 b+ magic beans doesn't do anything for us.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Simple question

Answer possibly. If you got two good young wingers and a good top 4 rhd. Then you do it unless you think you can draft the help before one or both your stars demand a trade.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What's not clear? I get it if you're an oilers fan who doesn't like the value...or an avs fan who thinks that's an overpay...but I don't see what's confusing about that proposal?

Tyson Barrie, the Ottawa 1st that Colorado controls this year & Alexander Kerfoot's RFA rights for Drae and Ethan Bear.

Probably hurts us more than it helps with the hole that Barrie's departure would open up, but I love Drae & would really enjoy watching him in Burgundy & Blue.

That isn't a fair trade for Edmonton. Would you take that for Mackinnon?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
There’s teams in this league who would trade the entire franchise to have both Mcdavid and Drai, they need to surround those 2, not remove either of them

Reactions: Sacul

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That isn't a fair trade for Edmonton. Would you take that for Mackinnon?

No, but Drae is no MacKinnon. You don't trade MacKinnon for anyone other than McDavid.

I would, however, be pretty pleased with that return for Rantanen...if we were moving him & didn't already have t-boobs on our blueline...which is the more pertinent question since Mikko & Drae are the comparable talents on our teams; as both are in that 'not-quite super-elite youngstar' tier, just a step behind McDavid, MacKinnon & Barkov.

You may not find it fair to Edmonton, but as Meeqs liking your post illustrates, most avs fans are going to find it unfair to colorado. I just really love me some Drae :dunno:

Reactions: Devonator

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
No, but Drae is no MacKinnon. You don't trade MacKinnon for anyone other than McDavid.

I would, however, take it for Rantanen...if we were moving him & didn't already have t-boobs on our blueline...which is the more pertinent question since Mikko & Drae are the comparable talents on our teams; as both are in that 'not-quite super-elite' tier, just a step behind McDavid, MacKinnon, Barkov, etc.

You may not find it fair to Edmonton, but as Meeqs liking your post illustrates, most avs fans are going to find it unfair to colorado. I just really love me some Drae :dunno:

They're closer than most Av fans would like to admit. MacKinnon is better but he doesn't get you McDavid. Anyway, let's not derail.

That trade isn't a good one for Draisaitl. Not a chance Barrie and Ottawa's first gets you him. He wouldn't be traded by Edmonton, but if we can pretend he would (basically the point of these boards) it would be for a legit #1 D. That would be the price from Edmonton's perspective. A guy like Seth Jones for example.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Simple question

Except the post asking for Point, Sergachev, and Cirelli is more like offering a 95 and expecting a 97, an 85, and a 75 back.

(I don’t play that game so I’m just giving roughly relative numbers; the point is that Drai doesn’t return the first player alone, much less with the other two added.)

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Maybe swap Sanheim for Morin or add Nurse to the original deal? Not sure how much more that moves the needle in the other direction. I just want everyone to be happy.

I think the reaction would be to Couturier being in there rather than Sanheim (who no one would want to trade, either).

Draisatl is a really, really good hockey player that I'd want the Flyers to trade for under the right circumstances, but Couturier + is basically a nonstarter there. That's a Selke-caliber 30-goal center under contract for $4.33 million until he's 30. The two-way play and absolute bargain contract put his value closer to Draisatl's than he'd otherwise be.

If I'm the Flyers looking to pick up Draisatl, I'm probably starting with Patrick, Gostisbehere, this year's first, and a good prospect (other Flyers fans would hate me for this, but I'd go as high as Farabee). That offer almost certainly doesn't get a deal done, but that's where it probably starts on the other side. Voracek, JVR also in the mix if Edmonton can send Lucic somewhere that isn't Philly.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They're closer than most Av fans would like to admit. MacKinnon is better but he doesn't get you McDavid. Anyway, let's not derail.

That trade isn't a good one for Draisaitl. Not a chance Barrie and Ottawa's first gets you him. He wouldn't be traded by Edmonton, but if we can pretend he would (basically the point of these boards) it would be for a legit #1 D. That would be the price from Edmonton's perspective. A guy like Seth Jones for example.

Fair enough, I think you're under-estimating Colorado's pieces, but this place would be less interesting if we all thought & rated every player exactly the same.

As for targetting an elite #1 blueliner in a 1-for-1 that makes sense, but from the outside, your problem hasn't seemed to be that your best players aren't elite enough for you to win or that they just need to be shuffled around to different spots. It's been not having enough best players...well that and the lack of puck-moving impulses from your blueline core; which an elite #1 blueliner would address, as would Barrie.

Which is why I was thinking that flipping your dollar & a dime-prospect for two 75-cent pieces...one of which would be a great solution to the creative/attacking impulses that your blueline is lacking...and a decent dime-piece, could make sense for you guys. Even if Joe would never make such a risky offer and many of my fellow avs fans would riot if he did :laugh:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Intelligent teams usually doesn't have the holes that the Oilers have, tho. Trading Drai could possibly help you on that. What's the alternative? Statue Quo? Hoping they do something during the Offseason? Continue to tank, for ever?

Stupid teams do the same things again and again, and hope that next year, it will be better. Oilers fans should know that, better than anyone.

We’ve tried the “trade star for positional need” route. We tried the “trade good player for lesser player in the name of cap savings” route. Hell we’ve tried the “trade star for a bunch of futures and hope for the best” route. What we haven’t tried is building a good supporting cast around the core group.

Look around the NHL. Not a one of the elite teams got that way by selling off their star players for lesser pieces.

Build with McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, One of Klefbom/Nurse, Bouchard, one of Puljujarvi/Yamamoto. We have the 2nd best AHL team, there IS some help coming.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think the reaction would be to Couturier being in there rather than Sanheim (who no one would want to trade, either).

Draisatl is a really, really good hockey player that I'd want the Flyers to trade for under the right circumstances, but Couturier + is basically a nonstarter there. That's a Selke-caliber 30-goal center under contract for $4.33 million until he's 30. The two-way play and absolute bargain contract put his value closer to Draisatl's than he'd otherwise be.

If I'm the Flyers looking to pick up Draisatl, I'm probably starting with Patrick, Gostisbehere, this year's first, and a good prospect (other Flyers fans would hate me for this, but I'd go as high as Farabee). That offer almost certainly doesn't get a deal done, but that's where it probably starts on the other side. Voracek, JVR also in the mix if Edmonton can send Lucic somewhere that isn't Philly.

That doesn’t get it done. Quick and easy no from Edmonton. Ghost/Patrick is just not a good enough starting point regardless of how many futures get tacked on.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Barrie + OTT 1st + Kerfoot <---> Drae + Bear

When the best current piece of your deal is a year from UFA, it’s going to fall on the deafest of ears. Kerfoot is meh and Ott 1st might not be NHL ready for 2 seasons at least, if ever. No gambling with assets like Draisaitl.

Colorado has enough good pieces coming, not interested in helping form a dynasty that we’d have to get through year after year.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
We’ve tried the “trade star for positional need” route. We tried the “trade good player for lesser player in the name of cap savings” route. Hell we’ve tried the “trade star for a bunch of futures and hope for the best” route. What we haven’t tried is building a good supporting cast around the core group.

Look around the NHL. Not a one of the elite teams got that way by selling off their star players for lesser pieces.

Build with McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, One of Klefbom/Nurse, Bouchard, one of Puljujarvi/Yamamoto. We have the 2nd best AHL team, there IS some help coming.

It's not necessary for "lesser pieces", but for positional needs. Nashville took this road, and it worked. Oilers were plagged by shite GMs, and it hurted them a lot, but here you have a piece that, once traded, could help the Oilers to fills more important holes.
Drai is a fantastic player, a powerhouse, but I don't think you need him as much as you need a really good d-man.
He's a fantastic winger for McDavid, but like I said, I'm 100% positive that I could get a bunch of point just by being with McJeesus.
Oilers don't have that luxuary in the blue line.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's not necessary for "lesser pieces", but for positional needs. Nashville took this road, and it worked. Oilers were plagged by ****e GMs, and it hurted them a lot, but here you have a piece that, once traded, could help the Oilers to fills more important holes.
Drai is a fantastic player, a powerhouse, but I don't think you need him as much as you need a really good d-man.
He's a fantastic winger for McDavid, but like I said, I'm 100% positive that I could get a bunch of point just by being with McJeesus.
Oilers don't have that luxuary in the blue line.

I wouldn’t say what Nashville did worked, considering they haven’t won a Cup and no one in their right mind would trade Johansen for Jones today. It didn’t blow up in their face, but I don’t think they can be completely happy with the result either.

There are very, very few defencemen in this league I would move Draisaitl for - most of them are not moving for anything. We can’t settle for “a good #2 and some spare parts”. Even if it’s a legit top ten #1 defencemen our forwards would be far and away the worst in the NHL. By a mile. I’m not convinced that improving our defence is worth scoring 180 goals a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad