Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I’d actually be interested to see a breakdown of his most common linemates. I only remember him playing probably like half the games with Matthews but I could be misremembering.

I think it’s also before the allstar break he was losing steam and needed the time off. First NHL length season so not unexpected
1000004210.jpg

Reactions: Sypher04

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’d actually be interested to see a breakdown of his most common linemates. I only remember him playing probably like half the games with Matthews but I could be misremembering.

I think it’s also before the allstar break he was losing steam and needed the time off. First NHL length season so not unexpected

1727022180589.png

Playoffs:
1727022313719.png

Reactions: Sypher04

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’d be taking a hard look at Laughton right now. Someone who can play center or wing with a little bit of an edge, depending if you want to continue having Nylander down the middle or move him back to wing.

To Toronto: Scott Laughton + 4th Rounder
To Philadelphia: Nick Robertson + Timothy Liljegren

To Toronto: 3rd Rounder
To Pittsburgh: Calle Jarnkrok

You would free up 2.975 million after doing these deals.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Pacioretty - Tavares - Marner
Grebenkin - Laughton - Nylander
McMann - Kampf - Holmberg/Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - Hakanpaa

Woll - Stolarz

Last edited:
Reactions: Avilaj07 and rumman

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
We need another top 6 center
Why try Willy somewhere he hasn’t done before
His strength is getting the puck in the neutral zone and going to the net where he can use his great shot.
I think if he concentrates too much on defence it could impact his offense
Of course he has to be accountable defensively but not to neuter him

Here is a list of centres I wouldn’t mind pursuing. Of course we trade kampf and Jarnkrok for cap purposes
I only took centers from rebuilding teams

Jenner
Laughton
Mcbain
Vatrano
Wennberg

Reactions: Kurtz

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
We need another top 6 center
Why try Willy somewhere he hasn’t done before
His strength is getting the puck in the neutral zone and going to the net where he can use his great shot.
I think if he concentrates too much on defence it could impact his offense
Of course he has to be accountable defensively but not to neuter him

Here is a list of centres I wouldn’t mind pursuing. Of course we trade kampf and Jarnkrok for cap purposes
I only took centers from rebuilding teams

Jenner
Laughton
Mcbain
Vatrano
Wennberg
Apparently he's played centre everywhere but the Leafs.

Yes, he looked like he was focusing a bit too much on the defensive side last night, but it was the first game there.

On his goal he was the first man back into his end, and two quick passes later he's scoring from in close.

Generally he looked a bit cautious, but not neutered.

Reactions: aingefan

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Yes, he looked like he was focusing a bit too much on the defensive side last night, but it was the first game there.

On his goal he was the first man back into his end, and two quick passes later he's scoring from in close.

Honestly I think Willy can pull a Zetterberg and switch to center full time and be successful.

Matthews/Nylander/Tavares down the middle would be sweet but we need to get some better right shot RW's on the roster though. Jarnkrok and Reaves being the depth after Marner is sad.

Reactions: aingefan

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I’d be taking a hard look at Laughton right now. Someone who can play center or wing with a little bit of an edge, depending if you want to continue having Nylander down the middle or move him back to wing.

To Toronto: Scott Laughton + 4th Rounder
To Philadelphia: Nick Robertson + Timothy Liljegren

To Toronto: 3rd Rounder
To Pittsburgh: Calle Jarnkrok

You would free up 2.975 million after doing these deals.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Pacioretty - Tavares - Marner
Grebenkin - Laughton - Nylander
McMann - Kampf - Holmberg/Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - Hakanpaa

Woll - Stolarz
Laughton is an ideal Leaf target but I think he's gonna be a trade deadline acquisition instead of now.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Skinner, e. Kane, toffoli, hyman, huberdeau, forsberg, konecny, schwartz, kreider, eberle, drouin, marner, ehlers.. couple of player who played as a C in the other league outside of NHL and didn't play that position in NHL.

The fact he having skill and played at the position doesn't mean its the best fit for him in the NHL.

And yes he need time to ajust but all the scoring chance he create by beating d with his speed will not be possible anymore as a center. He will need to find an other way to produce and its where the challenge will be offensively if he still playing at C.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Skinner, e. Kane, toffoli, hyman, huberdeau, forsberg, konecny, schwartz, kreider, eberle, drouin, marner, ehlers.. couple of player who played as a C in the other league outside of NHL and didn't play that position in NHL.

The fact he having skill and played at the position doesn't mean its the best fit for him in the NHL.

And yes he need time to ajust but all the scoring chance he create by beating d with his speed will not be possible anymore as a center. He will need to find an other way to produce and its where the challenge will be offensively if he still playing at C.
How many if those players have been IIHF World Championship MVP, all-star, and leading scorer as centres?

I didn't say he was necessarily the best fit for centre - I was responding to someone who said he had never played it.

As a centre you can't use your speed to beat the opposing D? Somebody should explain that to McDavid!

Instead of speculating about what he maybe can and can't do, why not let him play a few games and see?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

It doesn't mean it isn't a best fit for him, does it? I mean he might be best as a C, but if he doesn't get reps in at some level, you eliminate that possibility from his future.

..and absolutely you can use your speed to your advantage at C, or any position for that matter...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It doesn't mean it isn't a best fit for him, does it? I mean he might be best as a C, but if he doesn't get reps in at some level, you eliminate that possibility from his future.

..and absolutely you can use your speed to your advantage at C, or any position for that matter...

Along the boards versus middle of the ice?

Just speculating you have more room in the middle of the ice as opposed to along the boards?

:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad