Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'll take a stab at my ideal lines

McMann - Matthews - Domi - Think this is the same mold as what worked well down the stretch for us

Knies - Holmberg - Nylander - I think Knies and Holmberg complement each other well in how they play down low, and Nylander and Knies complement each other at making high speed plays.

Jarnkrok/prospect - Tavares - Marner - Yes that is an expensive third line but I think if they roll the top 9 lines and can double shift Marner it makes us incredibly deep

Dewar - Kampf - Reaves/whoever else

IMO that forward group is pretty deep. Helps sell the team identity as well that everyone is needed if each line has star power on it. Subject to change if a kid shows they are ready.

Defense:

Rielly - Tanev - We need this pairing to work. Maybe they can't play 25 min outside of serious situations but this is clearly our best pair.

OEL - Liljegren - Time has come to let Liljegren show if he can be a top 4 dman or not. Give him 25 games and re-evaluate from there.

McCabe - Benoit - Ideal third pairing D on a contending team. Not sure there is another team who has a clear better bottom pair than this.

Overall, I think defense is still the weak spot of the roster unless we have a few guys take steps. I think forward group is "worse" but still deep. And goaltending has some questions.

This is a roster I think is deep and if things go right, can win.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
End of the day, if someone doesn't want to be here, I don't want them here.

Kubalik, Cousins, Patches all look like viable LW options

a) I don't want to give a dime away for a nickel.
b) I'm good with signing someone to a PTO as a backup. Kubalik would be my choice there, as he's got some upside potentially, if he can find the right spot for him, and play to what his potential looked like. Patches is cooked.
c) I think we have enough kids knocking on the door, that one of them will be better than any of the PTO options anyway, and they should get the opportunity, if earned.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
""

I'm one of the bigger Nick Robertson fans, and think Keefe used him very poorly... but, the kid has no leverage here. I don't want the Leafs to trade him for nothing, and if we can't get value for him, he needs to stay and play until he builds enough value for us to get something. If he's not going to sign, that's fair... enjoy Europe this year...which isn't going to help your value either.

Trade him to the Devils so he could reunite with Keefe.

Lets see how he likes them apples.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
PTOs are a waste of time. Save your breath. Promote internally.

At most, would only contemplate a 12/13th fwd like Clutterbuck who can actually sub in on a PK, not these defensive ghosts who can hardly skate like JVR/Pacio/etc. and still won’t produce here.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Potential C solution:

TVR+McMichael for Liljegren+Jarnkrok

Washington gets a top 9 RS winger which they lack. They also get younger on D and a good partner for Sandin.

Toronto gets a 3C and a veteran defenseman who is UFA the same year as Liljegren.

TVR is somehow more of an advanced stats darling than Liljegren. He can probably better complement OEL’s game.

Reactions: DougGilmour93

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I read on Twitter, someone suggesting that there was a rumour that the Leafs had talked about trading Robertson + Kampf to the Ducks for Vatrano. Vatrano has been rumoured to be on the trade block, and is a LW, who put up 60 points last year, 37 goals. He's got one year left on a $3.65 mil contract. There seems to be no insiders behind this though. I'd do that trade.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I read on Twitter, someone suggesting that there was a rumour that the Leafs had talked about trading Robertson + Kampf to the Ducks for Vatrano. Vatrano has been rumoured to be on the trade block, and is a LW, who put up 60 points last year, 37 goals. He's got one year left on a $3.65 mil contract. There seems to be no insiders behind this though. I'd do that trade.
I went looking for the rumor. Looks like it was just some random saying they saw that rumor elsewhere. I don’t see why Anaheim would touch that. They got a 1st for Henrique at this past deadline. They should get a 1st+ for Vatrano at this deadline.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Robertson's only leverage is sitting a year, which hurts him more than it does us. I hope he smartens up by training camp.

I really don't understand where this entitlement came from?

Last edited:
Reactions: TMLAM34

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I'll take a stab at my ideal lines

McMann - Matthews - Domi - Think this is the same mold as what worked well down the stretch for us

Knies - Holmberg - Nylander - I think Knies and Holmberg complement each other well in how they play down low, and Nylander and Knies complement each other at making high speed plays.

Jarnkrok/prospect - Tavares - Marner - Yes that is an expensive third line but I think if they roll the top 9 lines and can double shift Marner it makes us incredibly deep

Dewar - Kampf - Reaves/whoever else

IMO that forward group is pretty deep. Helps sell the team identity as well that everyone is needed if each line has star power on it. Subject to change if a kid shows they are ready.

Defense:

Rielly - Tanev - We need this pairing to work. Maybe they can't play 25 min outside of serious situations but this is clearly our best pair.

OEL - Liljegren - Time has come to let Liljegren show if he can be a top 4 dman or not. Give him 25 games and re-evaluate from there.

McCabe - Benoit - Ideal third pairing D on a contending team. Not sure there is another team who has a clear better bottom pair than this.

Overall, I think defense is still the weak spot of the roster unless we have a few guys take steps. I think forward group is "worse" but still deep. And goaltending has some questions.

This is a roster I think is deep and if things go right, can win.

Eol-liljegren would be the 3rd pair and mccabe-benoit the second pair. Woth rielly/tanec together, Mccabe becoming the best D remaining and not OEL. Oel is a good complement for whats need but Mccabe still ahead and i don't think oel and liljegren together are a great fit...

personally I would go
Oel-Mccabe
Benoit-Liljegren

Liljegren show nothing to justify

With your line jt-marner would be considerate 2nd line and nylander 3rd line but that's change nothing. just fan who need to gove a number to each line

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
PTOs are a waste of time. Save your breath. Promote internally.

At most, would only contemplate a 12/13th fwd like Clutterbuck who can actually sub in on a PK, not these defensive ghosts who can hardly skate like JVR/Pacio/etc. and still won’t produce here.

I rather a long look at Steeves. McMann showed he can play after giving him extensive look
We need to promote internally. I am done with McGregor type of players taking up a spot and still get the same results

I am still dissapointed that nobody from 2020 draft looks NHL ready. That's 11 players drafted, one passed away (RIP), and nothing to show for yet.

This is draft +4 years now. By now someone should be an NHLer or at least knocking on door. Nobody from that draft is knocking on the door

2019 draft also seems like a bit of a wash except for Robertsson

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Eol-liljegren would be the 3rd pair and mccabe-benoit the second pair. Woth rielly/tanec together, Mccabe becoming the best D remaining and not OEL. Oel is a good complement for whats need but Mccabe still ahead and i don't think oel and liljegren together are a great fit...

personally I would go
Oel-Mccabe
Benoit-Liljegren

Liljegren show nothing to justify

With your line jt-marner would be considerate 2nd line and nylander 3rd line but that's change nothing. just fan who need to gove a number to each line

No giving Lilly third pair minutes and never more has to end. We need to see what we have he has enough games now.

Reactions: aingefan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I rather a long look at Steeves. McMann showed he can play after giving him extensive look
We need to promote internally. I am done with McGregor type of players taking up a spot and still get the same results

I am still dissapointed that nobody from 2020 draft looks NHL ready. That's 11 players drafted, one passed away (RIP), and nothing to show for yet.

This is draft +4 years now. By now someone should be an NHLer or at least knocking on door. Nobody from that draft is knocking on the door

2019 draft also seems like a bit of a wash except for Robertsson

7 out of 158 players drafted after Hirvonen have played more than 40 games. It’s still early for that draft.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
No giving Lilly third pair minutes and never more has to end. We need to see what we have he has enough games now.

but lilly is not a top 4 dman, leafs don't need to test him... Liljegren need to earn it and it'ssomething he never be able to do even when leafs had a massive need at RD. If he want to play on top 4, he need to prove he's better than the guy in front of him, it's how every sport was working

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad