Votes: 26 54.2%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The conversation is about regular season. That's a four game playoff sample.
and Ive asked for proof Nylander is one of the leagues best at cycles.. or at least very good at it. Do you have a better answer than my 4 game sample size? least i have something. Id bw very surprised if Nylander was among the tops on the cycle. So if you have evidence to support this claim.. please do post it.

This JFresh report seems to indicate most of his offense is from off the rush:

1722145851352.png

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
If the team can improve defensively the need for goals will become slightly less

The two main issues with their style of play that seems to have plagued them for many years

1. They come out slow and go behind often trying to play catch-up

2. They don’t take over a game and close it out. They get up with a lead and then more often than not let teams get back into it. Way too many overtime games that should have been shutdown

Also their power play should be way more potent than it is. They have become predictable

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
and Ive asked for proof Nylander is one of the leagues best at cycles.. or at least very good at it. Do you have a better answer than my 4 game sample size? least i have something. Id bw very surprised if Nylander was among the tops on the cycle. So if you have evidence to support this claim.. please do post it.

This JFresh report seems to indicate most of his offense is from off the rush:

View attachment 897483
Just pointing out that a four game playoff sample isn't a reasonable rebuttal on a comment about regular season play.

The JFresh post indicates he is very good at rush performance, but gives no indication of quantities. It's also a "projection chart", not statistics.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If the team can improve defensively the need for goals will become slightly less

The two main issues with their style of play that seems to have plagued them for many years

1. They come out slow and go behind often trying to play catch-up

2. They don’t take over a game and close it out. They get up with a lead and then more often than not let teams get back into it. Way too many overtime games that should have been shutdown

Also their power play should be way more potent than it is. They have become predictable

Florida
11th. overall Goals For
2nd. overall Goals Against

Coaching can make a bigger difference than changing a couple of players.

Unless, perhaps, those two players are an elite keeper and Norris winner.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Florida
11th. overall Goals For
2nd. overall Goals Against

Coaching can make a bigger difference than changing a couple of players.

Unless, perhaps, those two players are an elite keeper and Norris winner.
For all the line up, trade and FA discussion it seems we aren't considering the coaching change enough in terms of how different this team will be this year. Hopefully, different equals better obviously.

Reactions: ULF_55

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Called this a month ago but not like it's hard to do.

UFA and his bro is lighting it up in Toronto.

Surprised it's not an NHL deal though. If a few of the young guys figure it out... Marlies are going to be a solid team next year.

Great to have him as a call up.

He's probably going to get a very long leash in training camp.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Genuinely surprised he didn't hold out for an NHL deal

100% will get a look at camp I assume
Every player will get a look in camp, Styles jr will play minor hockey in a major city, probably bunk in with Styles senior making it probably his best option since no other NHL team was interested…….

That's how you show you want to be a Leaf.
Or want a job……..

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Just pointing out that a four game playoff sample isn't a reasonable rebuttal on a comment about regular season play.

The JFresh post indicates he is very good at rush performance, but gives no indication of quantities. It's also a "projection chart", not statistics.

So... my 4 game stats and JFresh projecting Nylander's 99% off-the-rush offense are of little use? Where do you think JFresh got his projections? Everything can be argued against if you want to use unsupported opinions.
Reminder that what I posted is significantly more than the poster who posted no statistical evidence and just said... haha, you are wrong; he's an incredible cycle player.

'In a debate, he who asserts must prove.' – Aristotle

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
So... my 4 game stats and JFresh projecting Nylander's 99% off-the-rush offense are of little use? Where do you think JFresh got his projections? Everything can be argued against if you want to use unsupported opinions.
Reminder that what I posted is significantly more than the poster who posted no statistical evidence and just said... haha, you are wrong; he's an incredible cycle player.

'In a debate, he who asserts must prove.' – Aristotle
Do you think a 4 game playoff sample is the same as an 82 game regular season sample, particularly when the topic is regular season? (That sample shows that Nylander is as good a scorer as Matthews, Marner, and Tavares combined.)

Yes, JFresh has a prediction that Nylander would be very good on the rush. I don't disagree with that at all, as it agrees with the eye test. I don't see how his being very good on the rush means he can't be good on the cycle. That stat does not mean 99 % if his chances are off the rush, but that he is in the 99th percentile of effectiveness when he rushes.

I don't disagree with you that the burden of proof lies with him, and I haven't disagreed with either of you on the subject of his plays. All I have done is point out that the particular stats you used aren't particularly relevant.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Do you think a 4 game playoff sample is the same as an 82 game regular season sample, particularly when the topic is regular season? (That sample shows that Nylander is as good a scorer as Matthews, Marner, and Tavares combined.)

Yes, JFresh has a prediction that Nylander would be very good on the rush. I don't disagree with that at all, as it agrees with the eye test. I don't see how his being very good on the rush means he can't be good on the cycle. That stat does not mean 99 % if his chances are off the rush, but that he is in the 99th percentile of effectiveness when he rushes.

I don't disagree with you that the burden of proof lies with him, and I haven't disagreed with either of you on the subject of his plays. All I have done is point out that the particular stats you used aren't particularly relevant.
My initial post was shared earlier, and I'm open to discussion and even arguments against my views. So far, one person disagreed without providing any evidence to support their opinion. You seem to disagree with me as well. Do you have any proof, or do you simply enjoy critiquing without wanting others to do the same to your opinion? I've provided my evidence, which includes watching all of Nylander's goal highlights and seeing him play live. That's considerably more evidence than what has been presented to counter my viewpoint. Am I wrong? Does Nylander's highlight package indicate a strong cycle or forecheck player? Have you watched it?

It seems your focus is on whether I presented my information perfectly or if there might be a minor error in what I wrote. That's not the poiint of this conversation; it's not about me. It's about the topic, which is whether Nylander is a good cycle player and forechecker. I see puck retrieval as a big part of the cycle, which is why I included forechecking in my initial post below.

So, instead of nitpicking my opinion, please rovide evidence that proves me wrong. You haven't even stated your opinion on whether Nylander is a good cycle player, which is quite telling about your intentions.

Is Nylander a good cycle player and forechecker?

Here was my post:

Both Nylander and Marner are perimeter offense guys who are more off the rush offense but have no cycle, forechecking ability.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
So who has reviewed his Blue Jackets 23 games played?

How he managed 11 goals in 23 games in Columbus and 13 in 98 games the rest of his career?

View attachment 897553

A lot of it will come down to his deployment. In his 23 games in Columbus he played almost 17 mins a game, nearly 5 mins more than his average in any other season. So, you can probably infer from that he was playing up the lineup with better players than he’s accustomed to. Maybe even got pp time

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think his stats with Pittsburgh are probably more representative of what he is as an NHL player than his stats with Columbus.
I think his stats with Columbus are probably more representative of what he is as an NHL player than his stats with Pittsburgh.

Columbus gave him minutes they didn't have to guarantee minutes to Malkin, Crosby, Letang and Karlsson. 5 games at 13 minutes a game in Pittsburgh ... Malkin got 1 assist in 5 games playing 18 minutes a game. Maybe they should have waived him?

Reactions: arso40 and Sypher04

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A lot of it will come down to his deployment. In his 23 games in Columbus he played almost 17 mins a game, nearly 5 mins more than his average in any other season. So, you can probably infer from that he was playing up the lineup with better players than he’s accustomed to. Maybe even got pp time
9 even strength goals in 23 games.

Yeah, I'm sure they really had nothing to lose and gave him the opportunities that a team trying to make the playoffs could not.

That plays right into the situation I attribute to the Leafs prospects.

Keefe would not risk playing Marlies unless he absolutely had to therefore no real development from the prospect pool.

Hoping Berube does what he did in St. Louis and give opportunities to the kids.

Reactions: aingefan

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think his stats with Columbus are probably more representative of what he is as an NHL player than his stats with Pittsburgh.

Columbus gave him minutes they didn't have to guarantee minutes to Malkin, Crosby, Letang and Karlsson. 5 games at 13 minutes a game in Pittsburgh ... Malkin got 1 assist in 5 games playing 18 minutes a game. Maybe they should have waived him?
Then what was the excuse in Buffalo and Chicago? I think it's far more likely that he's just a draft pick that hasn't worked out.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Then what was the excuse in Buffalo and Chicago? I think it's far more likely that he's just a draft pick that hasn't worked out.

Buffalo and Chicago ... yeah you would think they'd have given opportunities since both of those team are horrendously managed and completely incompetent.

Garbage franchises since Toews fell off a cliff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad