Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
If tampa missed the playoff next season, do we tell it was a good idea to trade sergachev and let go Stamkos.

They made a choice but nobody know if its a good one or a bad one or just doesn't change anything
You honestly think theyre going to miss the playoffs by swapping serg with mcdonagh, gaining 8m from a poor 5 on 5 player and defensive liability, and possibly getting guentzel?

I know I for sure wouldnt bet on that happening.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Regarding Bertuzzi and Domi, it's pretty clear that both Bertuzzi/Domi wants to stay and that the Leafs want them back as well. Trelving has told them to stand pat as he needs to shore up his defense first and needs all available cap-space he can get

Treliving negotiated with both of them and has an idea of what they want and what they would need to stay. He just wants his defense figured out first

weems

Jul 3, 2008
If we sign Tanev, we need to be careful with the following defensive acquisition that it doesn't push us too far in the struggle to move the puck territory.

I like Zadorov as a player but not sure I like committing that type of money to a guy that's strengths are physicality, big shot, strength in front of the net right after signing Tanev. I would rather get someone that is better at retrieving pucks and being able to really turn it up the ice with some speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: SprDaVE

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
If we sign Tanev, we need to be careful with the following defense acquisition that it doesn't push us too far in the struggle to move the puck territory.

I like Zadorov as a player but not sure I like committing that type of money to a guy that's strengths are physicality, big shot, strength in front of the net right after signing Tanev. I would rather get someone that is better at retrieving pucks and being able to really turn it up the ice with some speed.
Pretty clear Treliving is all in this summer, I’m expecting Zadorov, OEL, Tanev. One of Domi/Bert back and Lilejgren traded. Also swapping 2nd rounders allows Brad to have some ammo for the trade deadline

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
I don't want to trade Marner for picks and prospects during the Matthews window. It makes no sense to me.

If the Leafs trade Marner, they need a new high end forward. Who would be the leafs 3rd best point getter after they axe Tavares and Marner? We're looking at Maxi Domi... I mean, it's a huge drop off...

There would need to be a plan to get a new #3 forward i.e a Guentzel or Robert Thomas type. Because I don't see that happening, I think they should keep Marner.
I think we need to come to terms that we don't need 3 to 4 superstar players to win the cup. I rather we take a step back from being an offensive powerhouse team to an all rounder team.

Tre can still trade Marner for picks and prospects and then use some of the acquired assets to bring in a player like Pavel Buchnevich or someone else, while still have cap space to make an impactful signing.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Why would he get $3M+ in arb?

The only guys that usually jump that much are guys that put up big offensive numbers and Liljegren has not done that to this point.

I have him at 1 lx $1.9M or 2 x$2.5M max and at that point you keep him unless you somehow acquire 3 better RHD. No point in adding Tanev just to remove Liljegren for no reason.
He played over 19 minutes/game. That’s closer to 2nd pair than 3rd. He’s projected at 4M+ by both AFP and EvolvingHockey. He most likely gets 3+.

Assuming he gets 3, which he deserves, and the Leafs sign one more top 4D - why pay that much for a 3rd pair D who you don’t trust in the playoffs?

Reactions: Kurtz

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
With this Tanev deal, I really hope the Leafs recognize that he can probably be a #4 for maybe the next 1-2 years.

After that, he needs to be on the bottom pair. I see no internal defenders who are going to be top 4 anytime some so they need to explore the trade market.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I will go on the record. I am for Zadorov. I personally believe he will a fine 4D. I’m ok going over 5 million as well.

I predict he’s an instant fan favourite and exactly what this team needs. He’s getting better, not slowing down.
Agreed.

Tanev, Zadorov, McCabe, Benoit. That's a big, mean and hard to play against blue line. Add in players like Knies & Reaves on the front end and damn, the composition of this team all of the sudden looks mighty intimidating. I love it.

Folks need to head over to the Canucks and Stars boards and read what they have to say about Zadorov and Tanev respectively. IDK, sure sounds like 2 guys both teams near desperately wanted to keep around and figure hard to replace - in particular Zadorov. Both Berube type players too. Don't care about the grumbles around here, I'm thoroughly excited by Tre's supposed targets.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I think we need to come to terms that we don't need 3 to 4 superstar players to win the cup. I rather we take a step back from being an offensive powerhouse team to an all rounder team.

Tre can still trade Marner for picks and prospects and then use some of the acquired assets to bring in a player like Pavel Buchnevich or someone else, while still have cap space to make an impactful signing.
An all around team still has offence though. If we're trading Marner and letting Tavares go as everyone seems to want, our new 3rd best forward would need to be much better then Buchnevich.

The winner of the Stanley cup had 4 players aged 26-28 with 70+ points.

1. Reinhart - 94
2. Tkachuck - 88
3. Barkov - 80
4. Verhaeghe - 72

I don't think we're going to be able to get a 24-28 year old winger capable of 75+ points for Marner or else I would do the trade. I would trade Marner for Robert Thomas but not Buchnevich. But it's not happening so we may as well just keep Marner.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I don't want to trade Marner for picks and prospects during the Matthews window. It makes no sense to me.

If the Leafs trade Marner, they need a new high end forward. Who would be the leafs 3rd best point getter after they axe Tavares and Marner? We're looking at Maxi Domi... I mean, it's a huge drop off...

There would need to be a plan to get a new #3 forward i.e a Guentzel or Robert Thomas type. Because I don't see that happening, I think they should keep Marner.
The Bruins kicked our asses with only pastranak having more than 70 points.

Nylander and Matthews are good for 80-100+ points a year.

Vegas had only one PPG player in their winning season.

Replacing Marner with a guy like DeBrusk, Bertuzzi etc in addition to getting actual defenders will be a positive.

Mitch's 90+ points don't mean anything when it doesn't work in the playoffs

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Do you realize than Roy bring absolutly nothing more than Mccabe except he's a RHD?

a RHD McCabe would be great tho? We'd actually have 4 defensemen worthy of being in a top 4 for the first time in the cap era

Florida did the exact same shit with Huberdeau. President trophy win, they get embarrassed, they recognize that the way they play wont work, and dumped the guy that just scored 115 points and set the assist record for LW because they knew he couldnt cut it come post season time. And that move got them a cup and another final appearance so far.

Still blows my mind the amount of people that are cool with running it back :laugh:

You guys are so scared of making any kind of change or risk. What do we literally have to lose lmao. Its not like we've been successful.

I don't think most people are cool with running it back, most just recognize Marner isn't waiving his NMC and would rather discuss the future rather than things that won't happen

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
You honestly think theyre going to miss the playoffs by swapping serg with mcdonagh, gaining 8m from a poor 5 on 5 player and defensive liability, and possibly getting guentzel?

I know I for sure wouldnt bet on that happening.

difference sometime between be in playoff and missed it its like 3 game... we dont know what will happen

vegas finished 8th after winning the cup

last year, Florida was 1 win from pittsburgh vs chicago

We just dont know what could happen

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
a RHD McCabe would be great tho? We'd actually have 4 defensemen worthy of being in a top 4 for the first time in the cap era

I don't think most people are cool with running it back, most just recognize Marner isn't waiving his NMC and would rather discuss the future rather than things that won't happen

Trading mccabe at 2M to get a RHD mccabe at 6M???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad