Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

With Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brad Treliving all but confirming that he's looking to trade defenseman Timothy Liljegren, it shouldn't be surprising that Leafs scouts are out there pounding the pavement.

What is surprising though is that Leafs scouts are reportedly in Montreal tonight to scout the Montreal Canadiens and, presumably, their opponent the Los Angeles Kings.

Habs insider Karine Hains reports that the Leafs have three scouts at the Bell Centre this evening scouting the game.

Could we see a trade between the two bitter rivals?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

With Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brad Treliving all but confirming that he's looking to trade defenseman Timothy Liljegren, it shouldn't be surprising that Leafs scouts are out there pounding the pavement.

What is surprising though is that Leafs scouts are reportedly in Montreal tonight to scout the Montreal Canadiens and, presumably, their opponent the Los Angeles Kings.

Habs insider Karine Hains reports that the Leafs have three scouts at the Bell Centre this evening scouting the game.

Could we see a trade between the two bitter rivals?

LA’s current RHDs are terrible with Doughty out and they’re trying to win so I’d think a trade with the Kings is more likely.

Insane how LA used to have the deepest RHD depth in the league and all these stud prospects, looks barren now.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
What would we ask the Kings for in a trade for Lily?

I dunno, maybe this combo:

Kaliyev (Wants out of the organization. Had a good year 2 years ago. Big goal scorer in the past)
Samuel Helenius (6'6 beast of a center. Not much offense though. 21 years old. Kampf replacement)

These moves would open up cap space too.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Kaliyev (Wants out of the organization. Had a good year 2 years ago. Big goal scorer in the past)
Samuel Helenius (6'6 beast of a center. Not much offense though. 21 years old. Kampf replacement)

A giant centre would be a welcomed addition if he can play a two way game regardless of offensive shortcomings imo………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Interesting. Are any of these three close to returning? If so, I would think that heightens the urgency of moving out Liljegren.
did'nt Lub hit the lottery with his current contract, or was that Edmonson?

Something around Liljegren for McBain would be great.
if only the Ute's would be that foolish...............

Cap space is only useful if you have a plan to use it.

and an extra $10mil on the cap
do you not think Tre could use that 3 million more wisely?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Kaliyev is injured for awhile and we're loaded with wingers already. I think the Leafs would much prefer a depth D if we're doing a "hockey trade".

Helenius would probably be ok but he's definitely a project. Not sure he's a replacement of anyone anytime soon.

Last edited:

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Durzi & Marino are out for a while, would think Utah would have interest in Liljegren.

Timothy Liljegren & David Kampf
for
Jack McBain & Late Pick

Knies - Matthews - Marner
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Pacioretty - Tavares - Robertson
Lorentz - McBain - Jarnkrok
Reaves
That's a solid trade if we can get a 3rd or better along with Mcbain.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Liljegren+ what for Andersson? Minten? Robertson? 1st?

He’d be a perfect fit on our D

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Andersson
OEL-Hakanpaa
/Benoit

Liljegren plus all four assets you listed combined and it's still an easy yes for me.

I'm no expert but to me that suggests it would take more :laugh:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Gonna see if I can find info on him…….

I recall watching him in the World Juniors back in December 2020. He moves well enough for a big guy, and had a good tournament, with 4 points in 7 games, as an under ager. The next year, he just didn't perform as well.

The question is really going to be, does he have enough offense to be a NHLer... He's a long term project, and a 4C at best, if he hits.

""

""

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I wonder if Armstrong can make something happen with lily? 🤔
Or Rob Blake…….

I hope Rantanen makes it to free agency…

If the Leafs are going to hand out a $12+ mill AAV contract, I hope it’s to him.
Yeah, up whoever gets paid like that causes a cap issue that’ll plagued this team since Boy Wonder got taken to the woodshed three times…….

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Canadiens couldn't possibly want Liljegren right? If they did, I would take a retained Dvorak in return.

Otherwise if it's the Kings...a 2026 2nd or 2025 3rd + 2026 5th

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Canadiens couldn't possibly want Liljegren right? If they did, I would take a retained Dvorak in return.

Otherwise if it's the Kings...a 2026 2nd or 2025 3rd + 2026 5th

Utah has more prospects and picks than contract spots. I could see it.

Maybe a prospect (not first obviously) they liked from last years draft or a couple of 2nd/3rds.

I was a big Lilly fan. I think the has all the tools but you can’t have a 3 million dollar 7 D

Reactions: Pinkcat

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Turcotte could be worth a punt if you can get a pick as well if it' going to be LA.

I've always liked Fagemo as well, but he might be just a tweener.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Utah has more prospects and picks than contract spots. I could see it.

Maybe a prospect (not first obviously) they liked from last years draft or a couple of 2nd/3rds.

I was a big Lilly fan. I think the has all the tools but you can’t have a 3 million dollar 7 D

I totally see him going elsewhere and having success.

I would take McBain for Liljegrne, no problem.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Yeah I won’t be shocked if Liljegren is in Utah colours within a month.

They'd have to be the front-runner.

One thing I'd question -- what are the Leafs hoping to achieve in a Liljegren trade?

Is it to just accumulate some draft capital and clear cap space, with Liljegren out ($2.2m over a replacement player), so that Hakanpaa ($700k over a replacement player) and Jarnkrok ($1.3m over a replacement player) can be activated off LTIR?

To me, this seems somewhat foolish, as you're likely always going to have at least 1 forward on LTIR, and you'd still need to clear a roster spot up front to bring Jarnkrok back. Which of the Leafs current 13 forwards + Dewar does Jarnkrok hold more importance than?

I guess I'd advocate for a different approach... Liljegren and Jarnkrok for Jack McBain and a 2nd round pick.

Utah gets an immediate replacement in the lineup with a versatile forward that can also lead by example on a young team... and "transitions" the upside they have in McBain at a position of depth, to a position of need.

From the Leafs standpoint, you clear a bunch of space to the point where you're out of LTIR, can start accumulating cap space, and pick up a piece of draft capital. You get a guy that might be a really solid #3 centre today with the right set of linemates, and potentially turn the Leafs centre position into a position of strength, with Mathews-Tavares-McBain-Kampf as your healthy lineup, and Domi, Holmberg, Dewar and Lorentz all able to step into the middle of the ice as required.

Heck, a middle-6 line of Domi, McBain and Nylander could be really good IMO, regardless of whether its Domi or McBain playing C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad