GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
He was playing with Larkin and Raymond in Detroit. Those aren't bums. And frankly, what he did prior to his injuries isn't all that relevant anyway, because he's a different player now. Fact is, he was playing with superstars here, and failed. I'm not sure where you got the idea that he was good in Boston. He continued struggling to score, and then got some fluke points in the playoffs - mostly on the PP that he's never been good at - which deflected attention away from how poorly he was actually playing.

I'm also not sure where you got the idea that he has chemistry with Matthews. He's been the most disjointed of any regular linemate, by far. They barely interact on the ice, and Bertuzzi's approach to offense doesn't really benefit Matthews' way of scoring. It just puts more defensive responsibility on him. I see no reason to think that Bertuzzi's unsustainable hot streak for a month or two is more likely to continue than what he's shown to be over the past two years. Marner, Nylander, Bunting, Hyman, and Knies have all been better and had more chemistry. Matthews has insane goal-scoring because he is an insane goal-scorer. If any lesser linemate helped him at all, it was Domi, not Bertuzzi.

Not only is that hilariously untrue, but your comment was about us being linked to things and us looking at options. Those are both things that have been happening forever. In fact, so far we've made zero impactful changes this year, despite finally being past the flat cap, the cap rising massively, and having so many more roster spots to fill and areas to fix.
Geez. Waaaaay too many all-or-nothing, black and white statements here. If you think Bertuzzi is that bad then I don't think I can say much more to convince you.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's the Treliving way, building from the net and blue line out. It's no surprise that's his priority this off season. While we have loaded up on forwards in recent years, it's been clear to everyone for years that the goaltending and d-core simply hasn't been good enough.

Yes the d-core played fine against Boston this year, but you need to have just more then size on the back end, they need to be able to contribute breaking out of the zone and getting the pucks to the forwards, being a threat in the o-zone and being good in there own end defensively.
I'm on the same page the our new GM is going to attempt to find us a competent goalie to play with Woll.

Treliving loves big, mean and mobile Dman so I expect he will be heavy in on Brett Pesce, Chris Tanev and Nikita Zadorov etc.,

Building from the Goalie out, through strong defense is the expected "Treliving way"

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Given the Markstrom return, can't say I'm wanting to deal for a goalie .. Ullmark will return something similar, probably better due to age. Saros will be a lot more. Even someone like Gibson might get a first at this point.

Devils got retention too. So it’s basically a 1st rounder for a starter if Bahl is the sweetener. All things being equal I’d rather use that pick and heal the system too but the price isn’t that high from where I’m standing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Geez. Waaaaay too many all-or-nothing, black and white statements here. If you think Bertuzzi is that bad then I don't think I can say much more to convince you.

I think Bertuzzi is a bit of an acquired taste. Kind of like a Darcy Tucker in that he can be very effective but look utterly chaotic and low skilled doing so. Debatable whether it’s better to have a bigger body do what he does in a more efficient and less scrappy way. But he has value and is worth keeping to a certain extent.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
The Blue Jackets are open for business regarding their fourth overall pick in next week’s draft, GM and president of hockey operations Don Waddell said today (via Brian Hedger of the Columbus Dispatch). They wouldn’t be looking at shopping the pick for an immediate roster upgrade, though.

Moving back in the draft is the only option if they’re parting with the pick, Waddell implied. He said “the price is high” to get them to do it, citing multiple other teams in the top 10 are also listening to offers to swap their picks.

Leafs have a former 4th overall pick available as trade bait and the 23rd overall in this draft.
Marner should be worth more than the 4th overall pick.
95-100 point 200 foot players in their prime dont grow on trees (i consider prime as 26-32 as a man dont have your full adult strength until late 20's)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm on the same page the our new GM is going to attempt to find us a competent goalie to play with Woll.

Treliving loves big, mean and mobile Dman so I expect he will be heavy in on Brett Pesce, Chris Tanev and Nikita Zadorov etc.,

Building from the Goalie out, through strong defense is the expected "Treliving way"

I don’t like putting any trust in Woll. He’s going to break your heart with his injury issues if he’s Plan A.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
i like this line 2-3 years from now, but, i'd rather balance Minten and Cowan with vets.
If Minten and Cowan both make the team. I would place Minten with Nylander and Cowan with Tavares.
Nylander just needs a C who will play a 200 foot game. While Tavares needs someone to set him up.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's not a thing. July 1st is filled with contracts that have dry ink on them.
I realize agents can sniff around, but I'm not sure teams can make offers.

If agent talks to Treliving and says, "What are you looking for?" Treliving could say, "We need a 2nd. pairing defensive defenceman, around 6'6", 230 pounds." I doubt he says, "We'll give Zadorov 6*5.5."

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
David Pagnotta thinks Juuse Saros is looking for an $8 to $8.25M AAV on an extension and doesn’t believe Nashville has an appetite for that given Yaroslav Askarov is right behind him.

Reactions: Kurtz

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
If Minten and Cowan both make the team. I would place Minten with Nylander and Cowan with Tavares.
Nylander just needs a C who will play a 200 foot game. While Tavares needs someone to set him up.
i see a Knies - Minten - Jarnkrok line as a strong possibility to be our starting #3 depending on if they want to move Knies up after a decent showing in the playoffs, but i think his reaction speeds need to improve more to play higher on a regular basis
Cowan i could see with JT and Nylander/Marner or even get a look next to Matthews, as he is a pretty good passer too

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don’t like putting any trust in Woll. He’s going to break your heart with his injury issues if he’s Plan A.
I agree as much as Woll is fine when available but as they say the best ability in availability.

But I believe Treliving knows this as he as in on Markstrom.

With the dust settling on today's blockbuster move, it is being reported that the Maple Leafs were one of many suitors in the eventual Jacob Markstrom bidding war.

Many teams claimed their interest in Markstrom throughout the regular season and even in the early parts of the off-season including the Toronto Maple Leafs. It remains to be seen what the Maple Leafs offered for Markstrom but there was indeed interest coming from Brad Treliving - the former general manager of the Flames, and Markstrom was willing to waive his NMC for a trade to Toronto.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
what evidence is there that we are prioritizing goaltending right now? The strongest link so far has been to Brossoit. If I were betting I think we sign him or Talbot. Which I'm not totally against, but I hardly think it's making the position any more of a focus than in the past.
We have barely any assets to trade. We'll be in on the best free agent tendy available which is quite thin this year.

We're in an awkward place goaltending wise. We might have a solid #1 in Woll or we might have one of the worst tandems next year because of what's available in FA and Woll's health issues.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
what evidence is there that we are prioritizing goaltending right now? The strongest link so far has been to Brossoit. If I were betting I think we sign him or Talbot. Which I'm not totally against, but I hardly think it's making the position any more of a focus than in the past.
It's different takes from different people, Mirtle thinks Toronto is going after Brossoit, while Lebrun and I think Freidman have said Toronto was looking to add a bigger piece in net. There was an article posted yesterday about how the Leafs were in on Markstrome as well.

To me, if you look at everything, I don't think Brossoit fits the agenda of stabilizing the net, he's in the same territory as Samsonov.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
We have barely any assets to trade. We'll be in on the best free agent tendy available which is quite thin this year.

We're in an awkward place goaltending wise. We might have a solid #1 in Woll or we might have one of the worst tandems next year because of what's available in FA and Woll's health issues.
maybe Hildy comes into camp and steals the #1 job (we could hope) and have a really cheap tandem, or use Woll as trade bait and run Hildy (if he wins the job) with a vet rather than Woll.

• Haha
Reactions: Frostitute

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

Goes with what the 4th period is reporting

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Was listening to CJ's podcast yesterday and was surprised to learn that Pesce was looking for 6X6 from the Canes but they wouldn't go above 5x5. I thought his number would have started with a 7.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Leafs trade Marner
Boston trades DeBrusk, Ullmark

Leafs trade Tavares, Robertson, Liljegren, 1st(2024)
Ottawa trades Chychrun, Pinto

Leafs sign Montour, Barrie, Dumba

Bertuzzi(5.5)/Matthews(13.5)/Cowan(1)
DeBrusk(5.5)/Pinto(3)/Nylander(11.5)
Knies(1)/Domi(3)/Jarnkrok(4)
McMann(1)/Kampf(2.5)/Dewar(1)
*Reaves(1.35)

Reilly(7.5)/Montour(6.5)
Dumba(3)/Chychrun(4.5)
McCabe(2)/Barrie(2.5)
*Benoit(1)

Ullmark (5)
Woll (1)

Total = 86.85 (1.15 remaining)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Leafs have a $10.9 mil winger they would like to move on from. :wg:

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
If you believe The 4th Period, the Leafs are shopping Marner for the right return

If you believe Darren Dredger the Leafs are going to pay Marner 13Mx8 years, will strip the C off Tavares for him,retire Marner's number and denounce every other player who've worn it, and announce Paul as Shanahan's replacement

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I think in a trade for Marner, something like Morrow + Necas + 2025 1st would be decent. Necas can slot 2C, Morrow gives us a high-end two-way D prospect who's near NHL ready. Lots of options open up for the remaining cap space.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I think in a trade for Marner, something like Morrow + Necas + 2025 1st would be decent. Necas can slot 2C, Morrow gives us a high-end two-way D prospect who's near NHL ready. Lots of options open up for the remaining cap space.

From what I've read on the gen board, Necas wants $8m and works better on the wing as he has poor defensive awareness and doesn't take draws.

Reactions: Duffman955
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad