GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I like Debrusk’s speed which would fit Berube’s north-south style and ability to get up on the forecheck
He definitely fits Berube’s style. Berube also had big D and a solid goalie. For sure he’s in the ear of Treliving and communicating the style of game they want and what players fit into that. Got a feeling Marner isn’t exactly the coach’s favourite

I do as well. I like a Matthews/Debrusk and Knies/Nylander 2 line punch.
Good mix of skill/straight line.
Exactly this. The issue with a Matthews/Marner duo is neither one wants to dig the puck out from the corners. Matthews will sometimes do it but Marner is allergic to toughness. He wants everything to be cute

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Signing DeBrusk and possibly Bertuzzi and Domi doesn’t make sense unless you’re working on a Marner trade. Why are we wasting more cap on a winger. We have massive holes on D and in net

Sign DeBrusk, trade Marner to Vegas for Theodore, Thompson+?

Ok but why not start with trading the player before starting to already drive interest into expensive replacements? Just seems like a weird thing to do and to be honest, this is probably just DeBrusks camp driving up interest. It's typical.

I'm sure it'll all make sense by the end of the off-season though, at least I hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocker13

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We are really limited to free agents until the Marner issue is resolved. It will determine who you can and can’t pursue UFA. You may want 2 top 4 D, a 2nd line centre and a goalie, but you have to do that assuming Marner and 11 million is staying right now.
At this point Tre has to have an idea what he can get back for Marner. It will most likely be less than market value but unless you are willing to pay him, take what you can get, add Debrusk and Lomberg, and you are probably a better playoff team.

I'm not sure why Duclair has played for so many teams but I like what I have seen from him. 24 goals in 70+ games. I like Domi but we need goals.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Exactly this. The issue with a Matthews/Marner duo is neither one wants to dig the puck out from the corners. Matthews will sometimes do it but Marner is allergic to toughness. He wants everything to be cute
People can dislike Babcock but there is a reason he had Hyman (and at time Brown) on with Matthews.
Just like Bert and Domi.

Regular season is one thing but when the grind comes we need something different than spending 20+ million on Marner/Nylander. One is fine.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I don’t hate if the leafs sign debrusk but worry about the cap hit and term. Then I think that was my issue with Hyman. That turned out I was wrong and we should have kept Hyman.

Reactions: aingefan

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don’t hate if the leafs sign debrusk but worry about the cap hit and term. Then I think that was my issue with Hyman. That turned out I was wrong and we should have kept Hyman.
The numbers have to work for any UFA that we sign with term. You cannot fritter cap space away like the previous GM. This will be especially true next year when Tavares comes off the books.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Reading Bertuzzi's agent comments....its pretty obvious the Leafs are prioritizing the blueline first.

They want to keep cap space open to add two legit top 4 defenseman is what it sounds like. They want to prioritize forwards later

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The numbers have to work for any UFA that we sign with term. You cannot fritter cap space away like the previous GM. This will be especially true next year when Tavares comes off the books.

True but we also have to consider a rising cap and how that will impact the market.

I look at Debrusk as a potential candidate to take a step forward in production based on his play style.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
With us being connected to Guentzel, Debrusk, Arvidsson, as well as trying to resign Domi, Bertuzzi...

You'd have to think they are shopping Marner hard

I think there is a lot of speculation for clicks. Marner being moved opens up salary to potentially bring in those wingers.

But it apparent the priority is the blue line.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
With us being connected to Guentzel, Debrusk, Arvidsson, as well as trying to resign Domi, Bertuzzi...

You'd have to think they are shopping Marner hard
You're not doing your job as a GM if you're not connected to everyone, to gage prices and determine fallback options

Problem is, with the leafs being the biggest hockey media market, everything gets leaked and it becomes a hoopla.

Every other GM is also connected to multiple players but they're stuff isn't getting leaked for clickbait

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
You're not doing your job as a GM if you're not connected to everyone, to gage prices and determine fallback options

Problem is, with the leafs being the biggest hockey media market, everything gets leaked and it becomes a hoopla.

Every other GM is also connected to multiple players but they're stuff isn't getting leaked for clickbait
Na man, I been around for long enough.

There is a lot of credible sources being extra bold this year on Leafs activity. Something is cooking this year.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
so fat speculation has us linked
Reading Bertuzzi's agent comments....its pretty obvious the Leafs are prioritizing the blueline first.

They want to keep cap space open to add two legit top 4 defenseman is what it sounds like. They want to prioritize forwards later
the right play IMO. Give some of the Marlies the chance to prove they can hold down an NHL role. Far easier and cheaper to acquire quality wingers than it is to acquire quality defenceman at the deadline as well. Look what Tarasenko just went for this past off-season.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I know people are down on Bertuzzi, but you have to remember that he stunk for the first half of the year and still managed to get 21 goals. Him getting 30 goes next year is not out of the question. In fact, given his chemistry with Matthews, I kind of expect it.
Or alternatively, we should remember that he was hot to finish the year and still only managed 21 goals and 43 points playing with superstars in a top-six role while constantly messing up prime chances, being horrible defensively, undisciplined, and bringing pretty much nothing else to the table. Bertuzzi has paced for 30 goals once in his career, and paces 22.8 goals per 82 GP over his career. He'll be 30 next year, is injury prone, and has had his quality of play and shot noticeably decline since those injuries. He doesn't have any chemistry with Matthews. Domi maybe has a bit, but Bertuzzi was just there, mostly screwing things up.

If our solution this offseason is taking a bad, unnecessary winger signing from last offseason that failed and re-signing him to more term, this team is screwed.

Reactions: Evilhomer

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
so fat speculation has us linked

the right play IMO. Give some of the Marlies the chance to prove they can hold down an NHL role. Far easier and cheaper to acquire quality wingers than it is to acquire quality defenceman at the deadline as well. Look what Tarasenko just went for this past off-season.

Yep.

The blueline is 100% the priority. We have multiple difference makers up front, Easton Cowan is our top prospect and is knocking at the door, Knies is our best U25 NHLer and will probably be getting better, and while maybe not NHL ready for this season, Grebenkin/Minten are probably close and are also among our top prospects.

On D, the only internal help potentially coming in the next year or two is Niemela, barring someone taking big steps forward. And our blueline is clearly lacking currently, with only two top 4 D on the roster and ~3 holes to fill.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
On DeBrusk - Unlike Dubas, Brad actually checks in on all options it seems and does a ton of shopping.
Dubas would slam the door shut on players he doesn't like regardless of their price or wanting to be here.
We've been in on everybody every year since the beginning of time, at least according to the media.
Not sure where you got this weird idea about not checking in on options/not shopping around/slamming doors shut on players in the past.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009

This was my takeaway as well. It sounds like the door hasn't been shut on Bert, but there's other business they'd prefer to get done first.

I also imagine Bertuzzi doesn't want to wait too long, like he did last year. Sort of makes me wonder if Treliving is going to get aggressive, early, on some of these defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad