GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Leafs trade Marner
Boston trades DeBrusk, Ullmark

Leafs trade Tavares, Robertson, Liljegren, 1st(2024)
Ottawa trades Chychrun, Pinto

Leafs sign Montour, Barrie, Dumba

Bertuzzi(5.5)/Matthews(13.5)/Cowan(1)
DeBrusk(5.5)/Pinto(3)/Nylander(11.5)
Knies(1)/Domi(3)/Jarnkrok(4)
McMann(1)/Kampf(2.5)/Dewar(1)
*Reaves(1.35)

Reilly(7.5)/Montour(6.5)
Dumba(3)/Chychrun(4.5)
McCabe(2)/Barrie(2.5)
*Benoit(1)

Ullmark (5)
Woll (1)

Total = 86.85 (1.15 remaining)
This is the worst team I've seen posted and that's after you somehow traded both JT and Marner

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I'm glad we were in on Markstrom but ended up passing on that price.
I thought he would go for a 2nd and a prospect, was surprised it was a 1st. The Devils also made a bad trade, he's a stopgap only.... he's already 35, will be 37 after his contract is done.. Are they going to resign a 37 year old? I doubt it. Bad use of a first round pick..

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I think in a trade for Marner, something like Morrow + Necas + 2025 1st would be decent. Necas can slot 2C, Morrow gives us a high-end two-way D prospect who's near NHL ready. Lots of options open up for the remaining cap space.
I could be wrong but I think Jarvis ended up playing C for them. Bring him back to where he should've been all along!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
There are quite a few UFA goaltenders available.

I think Toronto is banking on Cowen and Minten being NHL ready to fill two holes in the lineup upfront for under 2m. That way they can spend on other spots.

Both will need veteran support.

1st. line is probably set.

Knies - Matthews - marner
Cowan/Grebyonkin/McMann - NewVet - Nylander
Minten - Tavares - Jarnkrok/Holmberg
leftovers...

One center from free agency / trade.

Defense is a mess.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Reilly(7.5)/Montour(6.5)
Dumba(3)/Chychrun(4.5)
McCabe(2)/Barrie(2.5)

This isn't a good D at all.

Reilly needs a guy to help defensively, not someone like Montour.

Dumba and Chych can't defend, and Dumba is cooked.

And Tyson Barrie?

This is just yikes.

""

Headed for a buyout?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner should be worth more than the 4th overall pick.
95-100 point 200 foot players in their prime dont grow on trees (i consider prime as 26-32 as a man dont have your full adult strength until late 20's)
100%

If I were Leafs GM and shopping him my ask would be a roster player (preferably a top 4 Dman with size and grit) a top A-level prospect, and a 1st round pick as my minimum requirement and go from there.

Treliving got even more than that when he dealt a re-signed Tkachuk to Florida. The key being a sign and trade which would return even more assets then the above dealing away a pending UFA after this year.

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Leafs trade Marner
Boston trades DeBrusk, Ullmark

Leafs trade Tavares, Robertson, Liljegren, 1st(2024)
Ottawa trades Chychrun, Pinto

Leafs sign Montour, Barrie, Dumba

Bertuzzi(5.5)/Matthews(13.5)/Cowan(1)
DeBrusk(5.5)/Pinto(3)/Nylander(11.5)
Knies(1)/Domi(3)/Jarnkrok(4)
McMann(1)/Kampf(2.5)/Dewar(1)
*Reaves(1.35)

Reilly(7.5)/Montour(6.5)
Dumba(3)/Chychrun(4.5)
McCabe(2)/Barrie(2.5)
*Benoit(1)

Ullmark (5)
Woll (1)

Total = 86.85 (1.15 remaining)
The goal is not to spend the most money to get the worst team who cant defend. Honestly with this line, i don't think toronto would be a playoff team anymore, it's pretty simple. You need balance with a bit of everything, if you only have offrnsive d, you will have no choice to use offensive minded dman like rielly as shutdown D and he would be destroy.

one of worst ( to not say the worst) line i saw

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'd be all in on the best defender they can get, along with 3rd. pairing defender.
An option get 2 second pairing defenders to play behind Rielly. Still be without a true top 1st. pairing but rely on depth defending.

Ranked Order
  1. New Guy 1
  2. Rielly
  3. McCabe
  4. Liljegren
  5. New Guy 2 (Lyubushkin type)
  6. New Guy 3 (prospect(s))
Just think having at least 1 defender you don't have to hope can do the job, is better than getting 2 defenders that people think have untapped potential and are signed to a hope contract.

You probably all have your "MyWishHeCanDoItInToronto" choice rather than the everyone knows he's good.
Lil as a 4 is a nightmare imo. Trade him, dude doesn't have it.

Reactions: thusk

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Eww @ Debrusk for 6 million. Just sign Bertuzzi. At least Bert already has had time to acclimate to Toronto. Plus Debrusk has never tallied more than 50 points in any season.

It really as shame that Leafs are looking for a top line LW at that amount, when they had the current playoff leading goal scorer in house and could have had him re-signed long-term for $5 mil AAV.

That guy in Edmonton score 54 regular season goals and 15 more in the playoffs for a total of 69 goals on the season.

Bertuzzi @$5.5 mil had 21 goals and 43 points in regular season and 1-3-4 points in playoffs
Debrusk had 19 goals and 40 points in the regular season & 5-6-11 points in the playoffs

Going after Bertuzzi or Debrusk feels like a dog chasing its own tail and a massive downgrade from the player they're trying to replace.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you believe The 4th Period, the Leafs are shopping Marner for the right return

If you believe Darren Dredger the Leafs are going to pay Marner 13Mx8 years, will strip the C off Tavares for him,retire Marner's number and denounce every other player who've worn it, and announce Paul as Shanahan's replacement

Darren Dreger was front and center with the Marner contract negotiations and inflating the AAV numbers so I wouldn’t be surprised if his contact is Darren Ferris an he’s helping pump up the player for whatever reason. Dreger usually takes the position where “the Leafs are going to have to pay up!!!”

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Darren Dreger was front and center with the Marner contract negotiations and inflating the AAV numbers so I wouldn’t be surprised if his contact is Darren Ferris an he’s helping pump up the player for whatever reason. Dreger usually takes the position where “the Leafs are going to have to pay up!!!”
Dreger's opinion has no bearing on anything.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Friedman just said that Toronto is most likely pursuing Brossoit or Stolarz (if no trade).

Ottawa is after Ullmark.

Gibson is available but the Ducks won't retain money.

Not much new info.

I wish we would just buy bluechip and stop screwing around with hopes and wishes. Goaltending has always been the bedrock of all successful Leafs eras. We’ve eschewed convention for too long.

If it came down to paying Saros $8 million or Bertuzzi $5.5 million, I’m sticking the money in net. Saros can be a wildcard that takes you somewhere in the playoffs. An expensive forward can only really be a complimentary piece.

Reactions: Rocker13 and Pinto

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Dreger’s message normalizes extreme player asks and is a tool for negotiations, setting expectations, sentiments and PR. He’s an effing disaster for Toronto because he’s always jacking up the price for the click bait. Sure hope he’s getting a cut for all his leg work.
You're joking, right? They aren't paying players based on what Dreger says, :laugh:.
GM's negotiate with Agents, Dreger has no part in it.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Oh yes I haven't forgotten the saga 5 years ago. He's still at it today on radio hits advocating for the leafs to pay him as much as possible. Can someone please do this for Reinhart or another team for once?

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Dreger’s message normalizes extreme player asks and is a tool for negotiations, setting expectations, sentiments and PR. He’s an effing disaster for Toronto because he’s always jacking up the price for the click bait. Sure hope he’s getting a cut for all his leg work.
Dreger Toronto is preparing a $15 m a year offer to Marner. Puts bong down.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That is what I've been saying "Play the Kids"
Knies --- Minten --- Cowan
Rather then dumpster diving for useless vets on cheap contracts to fill depth positions.
We've gotten quite a lot of value out of cheap vets over the years, and part of the reason we utilized them was because Lou didn't leave kids to play. Thankfully, the GM after him was much better at replenishing the pool, and we're benefitting now. Though ideally we'd still supplement that with more cheap veteran depth, instead of overpaid veteran depth.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
It's not perfect, I'm probably 500k off for Roy + DeBrusk I guess but this isn't overly bad.
Screen Shot 2024-06-20 at 1.07.58 PM.png

5m or so to get a 3rd pairing dman + 13th forward.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Oh yes I haven't forgotten the saga 5 years ago. He's still at it today on radio hits advocating for the leafs to pay him as much as possible. Can someone please do this for Reinhart or another team for once?

No kidding. Also thinking about the normalization of Marner’s $12.5 million (minimum) ask on the next deal is laughable. Like other teams might not have the stomach for it, so the Leafs might re-sign him? Hello? How about the possibility Marner doesn’t get $12.5 million from any NHL team because he’s not a $12.5 million player?

And yes, where are the Reinhart for $12.5 hyperbolic reports? 50 plus goals and maybe a cup championship don’t mean anything outside of the market and they’re all bad businessmen down in Florida?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You're joking, right? They aren't paying players based on what Dreger says, :laugh:.
GM's negotiate with Agents, Dreger has no part in it.

You’d be pretty naive to think a contract negotiation, potential signing or trade isn’t also workshopped to the public via “insider reporting” to gauge and shape public sentiment from both the organization side or the player agent side. Why divulge information otherwise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad