GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It's pretty crazy how different our blueline could potentially look.

It would be hilarious if we built a more stacked defense with less offensive game-breaking ability and that's what brought us more overall success.
Have to admit, that’s a very good defence. Where the top 4 pairings can all skate, won’t get push around and can move the puck

Reactions: weems

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Yea I don't get it. Zito has an undergrad from Yale, a law degree, and 25 years in the industry as an agent and AGM prior to joining Florida.

Dubas has "sports management" at brock, was an agent for 5 mins, got to play GM of his grand-daddy's OHL team, and somehow convinced one of the most prestigious NHL teams he was the man for the job. All in the span of a few years. Still can't figure that one out
Tin foil hat theory i've sorta read on here before...

Shanny was hired to self sabotage the leafs while still making them money (so it doesn't look "too obvious") and in return he climb the corporate ladder. Future NHL commish is what he's aiming for. If he can defeat the immortal Bettman. Showdown of the century.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Theodore - Roy
Rielly - Pesce
Benoit - McCabe

Thompson - Woll

Wishful thinking but that would be one heck of a backend.

Interesting, but that top 4 is real expensive and real soft. Maybe someone cheaper and meaner instead of Pesce could work. I don't remember if Zadorov can play the right side, but if so, he'd be swell.

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
That won't be cheap, we have to be moving cap out if that's the plan
Yup.

Can't add two good defensemen and a goaltender without moving out JT (completely impossible) or Marner (more possible, likelihood is a matter of opinion)

Reactions: Kiwi

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I live in the real world, not the what IF world............
You really don't get my point here, do you?

My point is that you can't really talk about the past with this team, or any team without ifs.

Do you think the Leafs and Dubas did everything perfectly in the past? No? Would it have been different IF they hadn't signed the core four as they did?

You have no opinions on how things could have been done differently?

Reactions: aingefan

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It's pretty crazy how different our blueline could potentially look.

It would be hilarious if we built a more stacked defense with less offensive game-breaking ability and that's what brought us more overall success.

It would be hard to have less success (considering the core we have).

We all know the playoff record, but even regular season the COVID Canadian division was the only time we won, or even came close to winning, our division. No President's Trophy wins or Conference wins either obviously. And the one year we did win the division, the Canadian teams collectively were worse than they normally are that year (ie it was a very weak division).

I'm down for changing things up. It's overdue.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Theodore plus Thompson plus Roy for Marner and Lilly sounds good to me.

Sign Tanev, Roy, Bert, Domi, Stephenson

Trade Jarn, Robby

Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
Knies Stephenson Nylander
Roy Tavares Cowan
McMann Kampf Holmberg
Reaves

Rielly Tanev
Theodore Roy
Benoit McCabe

Woll
Thompson

Reactions: supermann_98

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
It would be hard to have less success (considering the core we have).

We all know the playoff record, but even regular season the COVID Canadian division was the only time we won, or even came close to winning, our division. No President's Trophy wins or Conference wins either obviously. And the one year we did win the division, the Canadian teams collectively were worse than they normally are that year (ie it was a very weak division).

I'm down for changing things up. It's overdue.
Bravo. Succinct and perfect.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Theodore plus Thompson plus Roy for Marner and Lilly sounds good to me.

Sign Tanev, Roy, Bert, Domi, Stephenson

Trade Jarn, Robby

Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
Knies Stephenson Nylander
Roy Tavares Cowan
McMann Kampf Holmberg
Reaves

Rielly Tanev
Theodore Roy
Benoit McCabe

Woll
Thompson

Are you prepared to pay Theodore $10M?

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Something around Marner for Theodore and Karlsson would be phenomenal business. We could then play karlsson with 88 and bump JT down to 3rd line.

Sign Roy for 5 x 5.5

Rielly - Roy
Theodore - McCabe
Benoit - Lily

Reactions: aingefan

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You really don't get my point here, do you?

My point is that you can't really talk about the past with this team, or any team without ifs.

Do you think the Leafs and Dubas did everything perfectly in the past? No? Would it have been different IF they hadn't signed the core four as they did?

You have no opinions on how things could have been done differently?
Sure I have opinions, but I don’t live in the past, I’m pretty old and have plenty of regrets, but they’re in the past, I don’t dwell on what could have been if I had did things differently……….

Most here live in the “expected”.
Hard to rxplain you can’t live in the past, the best you can do is learn from your mistakes and don’t repeat them, something the Leafs struggle with year in, year out…….

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I’m more concerned with salary than term, if Domi truly wants to be here he can sign for a team friendly salary and they can give him term. 3.5-3.75 for four-five years, no trade protection. I’d offer Bert a similar deal, let them shop themselves elsewhere if they’re after the big pay day……..
I wonder if Domi's camp is watching the Marner situation closely and wondering if Domi's new responsibilities going forward will include supporting Matty and getting 70+ points on the first line. Be an 11M replacement.

Don't think he is in a very strong negotiating position, but they may be able carve out a touch more than we'd like.

In any event they may want to lock him up sooner than later, price might go up.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I wonder if Domi's camp is watching the Marner situation closely and wondering if Domi's new responsibilities going forward will include supporting Matty and getting 70+ points on the first line. Be an 11M replacement.

Don't think he is in a very strong negotiating position, but they may be able carve out a touch more than we'd like.

In any event they may want to lock him up sooner than later, price might go up.
It’ll be up to Tre not to overpay any player going forward, I trust Tre, but that’s assuming Shanahan pushed him to sign Nylander to that ridiculous contract, if that was all Tre, the Leafs are in big trouble……..

Reactions: LeafEgo

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I think if we get theodore we should move Rielly for a 2C or 1LW

Theodore is a better/more consistent Rielly

Give him 7.5M x 8 years

Thank Rielly for everything and go get a 60-80 pt player with size
If you trade Rielly you're right back in the same position of needing another top pair guy

Reactions: Sypher04

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yup, we have two centers with a cap hit of $11M or more and we do still unironically need another center.

That's what happens when your cap allocation is completely broken and your team is a house of cards.

I need a drink.

Be careful, you might start reminiscing about our playoff performances and never stop 😂

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad