GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
When looking backwards that is all you have. IF the cap had continued to rise or IF we had allocated differently. No one can say for sure what would have happened.

With the benefit of hindsight I would say we would be in a much stronger position IF

(a) We kept Marleau for one more year and moved Kapanen and Johnson for assets (insert those assets + Wes Jarvis)

(b) Traded Marner and kept Hyman and added a goalie

(c) Signed Pietrangelo and not Tavares while keeping Kadri

We are a strong team, but that's a lot of IFs.
Could’ve should’ve would’ve

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Friedman said today that Vegas will be around Marner talks. He specifically named Theodore and Logan Thompson. Theodore will need a new contract after next season but I’d do it. I wonder if Tre keeps it low key in free agency and lines up the cap to take a run at McDavid if he hits free agency
Would love a deal around Marner for Theodore and Thompson. I would be willing to even retain the difference between those two’s salaries to Marner’s.

Last edited:

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Would love a deal around Marner for Theodore and Thompson.
Yeah add this to the Pagnotta report about the Leafs knowing where Marner would be ok going and I think the chances are 70-30 he gets moved. Friedman isn’t a guy to just throw out names like that so this must be moving along a lot quicker and a lot more quieter than we think.

And it makes sense, Thompson and Woll are both fairly young they can share the net, Theodore fills a massive gap on our D. You would think the Leafs would have an idea about what it would take to re-sign him

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Yeah add this to the Pagnotta report about the Leafs knowing where Marner would be ok going and I think the chances are 70-30 he gets moved. Friedman isn’t a guy to just throw out names like that so this must be moving along a lot quicker and a lot more quieter than we think
Hopefully, it would be nice to get it completed before the draft and free agency to know where we stand and what our needs continue to be. Or if he’s not moving to know that.

Reactions: trellaine201

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Hopefully, it would be nice to get it completed before the draft and free agency to know where we stand and what our needs continue to be. Or if he’s not moving to know that.
Also this would give credence to the rumors of Pesce. Two big names Theodore and Pesce, maybe you circle back on Edmundson as a 3rd pairing guy and maybe if you don’t like the asking price from Lilly you can flip him around the draft for a pick.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Also this would give credence to the rumors of Pesce. Two big names Theodore and Pesce, maybe you circle back on Edmundson as a 3rd pairing guy and maybe if you don’t like the asking price from Lilly you can flip him around the draft for a pick.
if you get Theo, you cant circle back to Edmunson, or we are in the all LHD boat again, but, it would make Pesce/Tanev more palatable but I'd still pref Roy & Walker to have more mobility on the back end (in addition to Theo)

Reactions: JKG33

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

Whether you believe Liljegren's already reached his ceiling or you think he still has room to grow into a 20+ minute per night RHD you have to admit it would be typical of the Leafs to sell when his stock is at its absolute lowest.

Of course he would probably be due a small raise on his next contract and the question then becomes, is he worth his next deal for what he brings to the team? Hard to say, he's only ever played for Keefe who jerked him in and out of the lineup like a yo-yo, and let's be honest who was a rookie coach learning on the fly.

Let's trade a 25 year old Dman to make room for a 34 year old Tanev, then let's look back in 3 years and tell me if you would have that move back.

Last edited:

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Whether you believe Liljegren's already reached his ceiling or you think he still has room to grow into a 20+ minute per night RHD you have to admit it would be typical of the Leafs to sell when his stock is at its absolute lowest.

Of course he would probably be do a small raise on his next contract and the question then becomes, is he worth his next deal for what he brings to the team? Hard to say, he's only ever played for Keefe who jerked him in and out of the lineup like a yo-yo, and let's be honest who was a rookie coach learning on the fly.

Let's trade a 25 year old Dman to make room for a 34 year old Tanev, then let's look back in 3 years and tell me if you would have that move back.
he hasnt even been allowed to play a full 82 game season yet ...injuries this year hampered his play big time with the high ankle, and then the upper body before the playoffs.
it would be foolish to give up on him when he's likely only looking at a 2mil short term deal

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

Of course he would probably be do a small raise on his next contract and the question then becomes, is he worth his next deal for what he brings to the team? Hard to say, he's only ever played for Keefe who jerked him in and out of the lineup like a yo-yo, and let's be honest who was a rookie coach learning on the fly.

IMO if you move on from Liljegren, Chatfield would be good replacement. He’s more of a Berube and Treliving player and the two will probably cost the same dollar figures.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Friedman said today that Vegas will be around Marner talks. He specifically named Theodore and Logan Thompson. Theodore will need a new contract after next season but I’d do it. I wonder if Tre keeps it low key in free agency and lines up the cap to take a run at McDavid if he hits free agency
I can totally see Marner saying yes to Vegas, everyone wants to play there plus income tax etc. Let’s make this happen. Plus keeps Marner out of our conference.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
he hasnt even been allowed to play a full 82 game season yet ...injuries this year hampered his play big time with the high ankle, and then the upper body before the playoffs.
it would be foolish to give up on him when he's likely only looking at a 2mil short term deal

While I don’t disagree in a vacuum, this team needs to win, plain and simple. The Leafs need to determine what he’s capable of giving them next season for the cap he’ll use. If you’re still uncertain you know what that is or if you cannot commit to giving him the ice time to figure it out then you move him and upgrade the position and you live with whatever the long term assessment of the move ultimately is. We are right now in a 4 year window. They need to make moves to compete with speed and precision. If he doesn’t end up putting it together, we cannot wait 2 more years to find that out feeding him ice time.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I like Shea Theodore... but it was shocking to see he's thrown NINE hits this past year. The amount he plays, you think he'd accidentally bump into more people than that.

""

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I like Shea Theodore... but it was shocking to see he's thrown NINE hits this past year. The amount he plays, you think he'd accidentally bump into more people than that.

""

This is why I've completely gone away from proposing Theodore swaps on this board. 2 months ago I was proposing Theodore+Roy packages daily. Once I looked under the hood on Theodore I completely backed off. I'd much prefer a package of Koczak, Hill, Roy.

Reactions: Fogelhund

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Theodore-Roy
Rielly-Walker
McCabe-Benoit/Lilj.

From your lips to God's ears

It's pretty crazy how different our blueline could potentially look.

It would be hilarious if we built a more stacked defense with less offensive game-breaking ability and that's what brought us more overall success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad