GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Maybe a plan would be to get Theodore, move Liljegren and sign Pesce? Bring in someone like Carrier or Tanev?

Rielly-Pesce
Theodore-Carrier/Tanev
Benoit-McCabe

I wouldn't go near Pesce, I have doubts he's going to age well, I'd much rather go after Roy to partner Rielly

Then if you have Theodore I think you can partner him with McCabe and save money just needing a 3rd pair type

Then you have enough money to go shopping for a center

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Marner for Shea Theodore and Adin Hill makes more sense as a basis for salary purposes for Vegas. Vegas doesn't have much cap room and likely would move Hill's salary and keep Thompson at 790k (I would think). Leafs essentially take money spent on forward and spreads it over goaltending and defense. I'd prefer Thompson, I just don't see how it makes sense unless they are adding William Karlsson or Nic Roy.

Leafs would have roughly 18million (Dewar and Robertson signed) in cap space to fill a Top Four RHD, 4/5 RHD (or re-sign Lilijgren if it's cheaper), at least one (if not two) top-six forwards, and if not two top-six forwards than a top-six and quality 3rd line forward.

So you are probably spending roughly 9-10million in defensive additions in this scenario, and are left with 8million for 2 forward upgrades unless planning on playing Holmberg/Robertson/McMann/Cowen/Jarnkrok in a 2nd line position full-time next year. Could try and move Kampf/Jarnkrok to open up space too.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Marner for Shea Theodore and Adin Hill makes more sense as a basis for salary purposes for Vegas. Vegas doesn't have much cap room and likely would move Hill's salary and keep Thompson at 790k (I would think). Leafs essentially take money spent on forward and spreads it over goaltending and defense. I'd prefer Thompson, I just don't see how it makes sense unless they are adding William Karlsson or Nic Roy.

Leafs would have roughly 18million (Dewar and Robertson signed) in cap space to fill a Top Four RHD, 4/5 RHD (or re-sign Lilijgren if it's cheaper), at least one (if not two) top-six forwards, and if not two top-six forwards than a top-six and quality 3rd line forward.

So you are probably spending roughly 9-10million in defensive additions in this scenario, and are left with 8million for 2 forward upgrades unless planning on playing Holmberg/Robertson/McMann/Cowen/Jarnkrok in a 2nd line position full-time next year. Could try and move Kampf/Jarnkrok to open up space too.

Vegas is absolutely swimming in centres - and with their cap issues, I wonder if we could grab a centre in the deal as well - Roy or maybe even Wild Bill.

Reactions: LeafSteel

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
At the end of the day I seriously doubt Tre wants to relive a Gaudreau situation. He also doesn’t have any historical ties with Marner. So I think he’s closer to trading him but would be willing to hear Marner’s contact asks when he can be extended July 1st.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The more I think about it, the more I like Hronek over Theodore as a trade target. Both offensive guys but Hronek is younger and a RHD. Big shot from the point that would be good on the PP. Needs a new deal now instead of in one year being the main downside but at least he’s still fairly young.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What the hell am I reading?

Coaches treat players differently so that they can get the best out of them

Some guys need a bit of tough love every now and then to help them stay focused
Just like some guys need a softer touch to get the best out of them

People are different, they need different things to motivate and help them progress

Marner isn't a bad person because he doesn't react to tough love like Nylander does, there's nothing wrong with a coach treating guys differently to help improve everybody's performance

That's just good coaching

To an extent certainly.

If you can't discipline a player because he crumbles, what are teammates going to think when they get their butt kicked all around the room?

There has to be a perception of fairness or the team probably won't go through any walls for you.

You might save the child but you'll lose the adults.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Maybe it’s just me but I think I prefer Montour over Theodore…

He’s about to be 29 and his next contract kicks in at 30. He’s also looking to get paid.

I want the Leafs to get younger to reset the timeline a bit.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

Leafs could also retain or a third team can get involved and get compensated to retain.

Reactions: Frostitute

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
What if you could do ...

Lindholm - extended
Zadorov - extended
for
marner

with no increase in Cap.
I think Lindholm would be great for Willy.
He moves JT to 3C
Zaddy plays with McCabe or Reilly.

Still leaves 20 mill for a Goalie, at least one more RD and a couple of wingers.

Yes from me all day.

Reactions: aingefan

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
To an extent certainly.

If you can't discipline a player because he crumbles, what are teammates going to think when they get their butt kicked all around the room?

There has to be a perception of fairness or the team probably won't go through any walls for you.

You might save the child but you'll lose the adults.

Just because he doesn't react well to the old tough love routine doesn't mean you can't discipline the guy

You just do it in a different way, that better suits his temperament

From my experience guys don't react badly to that it's the guys that break the rules with zero consequence because of who they are people have a problem with

You just need to know your guys and what motivates them

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just because he doesn't react well to the old tough love routine doesn't mean you can't discipline the guy

You just do it in a different way, that better suits his temperament

From my experience guys don't react badly to that it's the guys that break the rules with zero consequence because of who they are people have a problem with

You just need to know your guys and what motivates them

Agree, you can discipline equally using different techniques, but it has to be seen to be discipline or it's just "teacher's pet."

My guess a team like that doesn't step up in the playoffs. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

F' you coach, go get your pet to do it. All I get is blame, all he gets are apologies.

Reactions: Frostitute

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I wouldn't go near Pesce, I have doubts he's going to age well, I'd much rather go after Roy to partner Rielly

Then if you have Theodore I think you can partner him with McCabe and save money just needing a 3rd pair type

Then you have enough money to go shopping for a center

Pesce reminds me of Brodie, and while that’s fine I want more than a right-handed Brodie this time around with the cash and options available. 4 years ago we chose Brodie over Tanev and while I understand the injury concerns Tanev had at the time ultimately he would’ve been the far better choice. He would’ve been (hell he still may be) the perfect Rielly partner and unlike Brodie he’s still playing at a high level.

I view the Pesce vs Roy decision as the same thing, only this time it’s more difficult because neither of them are Ontario boys so there’s no hometown connection so wooing them over will be more challenging and/or cost more. At least they’re both RHD.

Regardless, this time around I want the defensive stud who’s physical over the defensive stud who’s more cerebral.

Reactions: TheShape and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Agree, you can discipline equally using different techniques, but it has to be seen to be discipline or it's just "teacher's pet."

My guess a team like that doesn't step up in the playoffs. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

F' you coach, go get your pet to do it. All I get is blame, all he gets are apologies.

I think that's reading a lot into it

If there was team rifts you would find they lose badly, our guys try hard and get close unfortunately they just can't get over the hump which now looks like a mountain mentally

If Marner was doing whatever he liked and couldn't give two ***** I'm sure we would have heard something before now

He's a good player and seems like a decent guy, I don't think we would have kept on trying the same thing for this long if he was a problem

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Eichel got multiple coaches fired and played GM before the neck became a problem, if you want to tell me he’s better than Marner and the character issues ended up being overblown I won’t argue but at the time of the trade he had a much more publicly toxic reputation with more baggage than Marner did. The only real upside he had over Marner at the time of the trade was contract length but that was a coin flip on whether it would be an asset or an anchor.
I mean I hope people can see the difference between the rotating cast of idiots Buffalo brought in and Babcock (who at the time was well respected).

Maybe it's because I was super high on Eichel in a time where others weren't, but I just don't see the comparison to present day Marner.

I think when they're both at their best Eichel is the better player. He's a play driver and a center. While Eichel was an unknown, Marner is a known passenger and playoff failure.

Yeah, he strongly stated his opinion that marner is emotionally glass.
Matthews is strong, but Nylander is way above Matthews as far as thick skin goes.
Not sure I completely agree, I think it isn't thick skin so much as trying to hit fog with a bat.

Had some opinions on what the Leafs are trying to do this summer, 2 defenders who'd probably be 2nd. pairing.

My interpretation on what he said about Domi and Bertuzzi is Domi being the better fit, and maybe more doable long term.
Honestly I found that segment to be quite damming on all 3 of them, but Marner in particular. You're telling me this alleged superstar, top 10 paid player in the league who wants a raise, can't handle the coach giving it to him? I'm surprised we're not seeing more talk on that part around here.

As for Nylander and Matthews, I don't entirely think them being "thick skinned" as Friedman put it as all that great either. We've seen what they do in the playoffs. To me it seems like while they can take it like a man unlike Marner, they don't really do anything about it. It's the same old shit with all 3.

I agree with him on Domi. If the cap is right I'd love to keep Domi, he's shown he can bleed blue unlike a lot of others on this team.
It depends who they find in UFA.
The only one really is Montour or maybe Sjkei. Getting some combo of Roy/Walker/Pesce/Zadorov/Tanev.. none of them would make Rielly expendable

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Trade for Hronek.
Sign Matt Roy
Sign Brendan Dillon (should be cheaper than edmundson?)

Reilly - Hronek
Dillon - Roy
Benoit - McCabe

McCabe technically shouldn't be on the 3rd paring but regardless it wont matter both our 2nd paring and 3rd pairing would be equal in minutes. Wont be labels

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
why does this matter? if we believe hes not that good then this shouldnt matter
Thats why I'd love to see him traded to Buffalo.

It did get me thinking.. Buffalo wants a top 6 forward and they have the 11th pick. That's right around a window where a 1 for 1 trade could make sense. Although Marner probably says no to that one

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Before you trade Marner (likely happens after July 1st anyways),

Sign Pesce
Trade for Parayko at the draft (Robertson/Niemela/1sts/whatever)

start the offseason with this:

Rielly-Parayko
McCabe-Pesce
Benoit-Liljegren

Sign a big guy like Hakanpaa/Edmundson to be the 7th. You can consider moving Liljegren to grab somebody to take over PP1 if you need too at that point.

We have $20M to spend without moving Marner, I am not pushing to trade him unless we get a ridiculous offer for him. Plus with Tavares expiring and the cap likely going up another 5% we could be looking at 40-50M next offseason in cap space as it stands today. You can build a solid defense with the space we have. I don't really care about losing Domi or Bertuzzi if it means we can't upgrade the back end right away. If you have to run with kids up front until the deadline to do so, I am okay with that.

Reactions: Kurtz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad