GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
My main target in any Marner trade is a young centre who's either a current 2C or can become a 2C, plus other pieces like picks, prospects, and an underrated depth forward or defenseman. I've no appetite for dealing Mitch for a goalie and I doubt any team is going to part with a true #1/top pairing or a potential #1/top pairing defenseman for Marner. Trading Mitch for a centre helps our depth at our weakest forward position, addresses the upcoming hole at 2C, and gets this team younger and hopefully faster.

I don't think Minten or Holmberg have the ceiling to be a 2C in the NHL, and whoever we draft at 24 is also unlikely to have a high ceiling. UFA market also isn't brimming with talent at centre. Lindholm I suppose this season is the best option. Next year there's Draisaitl but I doubt he'll make it to UFA, and after him it's a bunch of other 30+ year olds. This hypothetical centre should/would have Marner's playmaking, and even if he never reaches Marner's gaudy offensive totals by nature of his position he'll make up for it with defensive play, faceoffs, and hopefully more willingness to drive the net and go to the dirty areas.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
i just throw it on the air 3 way deal

to Nashville : Mitch Marner extended

To calgary : Tor 1st round pick + one kemell, wood, molendyk Sveckov or L'heureux

To Toronto Juuse Saros extended and Rasmus Andersson

why that's making sense for calcagy, they are in a rebuild and i don't really they would have any interest on marner or marner to go to Calgary.

Nashville : They was looking to trade Saros last season and with this, they absolutly got was they want with a player like marner who instantly becoming their best foward.

Toronto : Toronto get a great d with Andersson and get their best goalie since Cujo and Ed Belfour at 29. Why i put Saros unstead of Markstrom even if leafs need to give a 1st pick? he's younger and he's better

sign tanev
resign Domi

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Cowan-Jt-Nylander
Mcmann-Holmberg-Robertson
Jarnkrok-Kampf-Reaves/ Dewar

Rielly-Tanev
Mccabe- Andersson
Benoit- ???

Saros
Woll
Can’t have JT as your 2nd line centre, he needs to be moved down the line up to the third line to be effective……..

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
This hypothetical centre should/would have Marner's playmaking, and even if he never reaches Marner's gaudy offensive totals by nature of his position he'll make up for it with defensive play, faceoffs, and hopefully more willingness to drive the net and go to the dirty areas.
I'm not sure that exists and I'm not sure there is a team willing to give that for Marner. I've proposed Dach which is the closest you're getting to that.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Can’t have JT as your 2nd line centre, he needs to be moved down the line up to the third line to be effective……..
you can'tchange everything, you need to make choice

staying with jt as 2C and built a real contending D + get a real number who will stay healthy or spend money on 2nd c and having hole in d/goaltending. Leafs will not solve everything

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I'd like to keep Domi. Can put him literally anywhere in the top 9 and he's effective.
Rumours has it that Domi wants $6 million per with term...that's ridiculous...he could get the heck outta here...all that talk about always wanting to be a Leaf is fake.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Rumours has it that Domi wants $6 million per with term...that's ridiculous...he could get the heck outta here...all that talk about always wanting to be a Leaf is fake.
I'm not surprised that's his ask. If he can meet the team halfway I'd pay him around 5. I'd rather have 2 Domi's over 1 Marner

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I'm not surprised that's his ask. If he can meet the team halfway I'd pay him around 5. I'd rather have 2 Domi's over 1 Marner

This is his only chance to sign a long term deal and retire as a Leaf if he doesn't get greedy. Asks for too much, Leafs might move on. $5 million is fair.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Pagnotta said we will be interested in David Perron as an UFA. Won a cup in St.Louis under Berube.

I'm fine with it if he replaces Jarnkrok. Should be cheap to have

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Domi needs to sign either a team friendly deal or hit the road. Most of his (sentimental) value comes in knowing what it's like to ham up the Leaf angle and be a supporting cast teammate to a star player. If he's trying to jockey for a hometown overpay and try to get more from the Leafs than anywhere else... no. Sorry.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Would you want marner and Domi for $15mm?

How about $18mm for subsequent years?

He scored 9 goals, right?

Max Domi was outscored by Michael Bunting by about double the goals and 10 points on his $4.5 million walk away deal from Carolina. Yes all the extra snot and Leafs sentimentality and popularity for not being Mitch Marner, but that's a $4 million medium term deal bumped up to $4.5 million on the very generous end. If that's not good enough, good luck in Seattle or something.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Pagnotta said we will be interested in David Perron as an UFA. Won a cup in St.Louis under Berube.

I'm fine with it if he replaces Jarnkrok. Should be cheap to have

Hard competitor and greasy too. He would be a nice new flavour.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
The people that think Domi is extending at $3.5 million for term are just not living in reality, IMO. In what world is a UFA with a history of proven production, taking substantially less than $100,000 per point?

I think that the deal winds up getting done in the $4.5 million range, for 4-5 years. I also think he plays the majority of next season with Matthews after Marner is traded, and puts up a quality 60+ point campaign that will justify the contract.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
My main target in any Marner trade is a young centre who's either a current 2C or can become a 2C, plus other pieces like picks, prospects, and an underrated depth forward or defenseman. I've no appetite for dealing Mitch for a goalie and I doubt any team is going to part with a true #1/top pairing or a potential #1/top pairing defenseman for Marner. Trading Mitch for a centre helps our depth at our weakest forward position, addresses the upcoming hole at 2C, and gets this team younger and hopefully faster.

I don't think Minten or Holmberg have the ceiling to be a 2C in the NHL, and whoever we draft at 24 is also unlikely to have a high ceiling. UFA market also isn't brimming with talent at centre. Lindholm I suppose this season is the best option. Next year there's Draisaitl but I doubt he'll make it to UFA, and after him it's a bunch of other 30+ year olds. This hypothetical centre should/would have Marner's playmaking, and even if he never reaches Marner's gaudy offensive totals by nature of his position he'll make up for it with defensive play, faceoffs, and hopefully more willingness to drive the net and go to the dirty areas.
Shane Wright. Young, two-way right handed center who could be our #2 center as soon as this season.

Max Domi was outscored by Michael Bunting by about double the goals and 10 points on his $4.5 million walk away deal from Carolina. Yes all the extra snot and Leafs sentimentality and popularity for not being Mitch Marner, but that's a $4 million medium term deal bumped up to $4.5 million on the very generous end. If that's not good enough, good luck in Seattle or something.
The absolute max (no pun intended) that I would sign Domi for is 4.5M per year. Anything higher than that is going to be an overpay imo.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The people that think Domi is extending at $3.5 million for term are just not living in reality, IMO. In what world is a UFA with a history of proven production, taking substantially less than $100,000 per point?

I think that the deal winds up getting done in the $4.5 million range, for 4-5 years. I also think he plays the majority of next season with Matthews after Marner is traded, and puts up a quality 60+ point campaign that will justify the contract.

$4.5 million is generous money for Max Domi. That’s Michael Bunting money, and Ryan O’Reilly money. ROR though unavailable to us, is infinitely better than Domi. And Bunting, though more flawed and less of an overall presence than Domi, is easily more productive. Domi has also never been good anywhere for more than a couple of years. He can’t build on momentum anywhere. So if he’s found a forever home in his home town, he better not screw it up and ask for moon and the stars cause that goodwill can burn through pretty fast. He didn’t get us over that Game 7 hump either if we’re keeping score.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005

When has Domi had a history of 'proven production'?? He had that one really good season of 28 goals and 72 points with Montreal and he's never gotten close to that career high ever again. That season was also the only time he came close to scoring 30 goals and has never gotten above 20 since.

I don't mind him coming back, but 4-5 million x 3 years or so would be good for me.

Reactions: aingefan

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
I liked Domi's performance this year as much as anyone but I fear that this was a honeymoon season and that he will eventually wear out his welcome as he has with other clubs. I would limit term to 2-3 years @4-4.5M per year and no NTC/NMC offered in case things turn sour. Same with Bertuzzi. If both can find better deals elsewhere, so be it.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

I think we all need to readjust our contract expectations to a rising cap. The cap essentially hasn't moved in like 5 years (rose 2M over 5 years), which is unprecedented. Before COVID, the cap rose on average by ~2.8M, which would have been ~14M over those 5 years following COVID.

All of that to say, historically every offseason, there was "sticker shock" with UFA contracts. Domi at 4.5M does sound a bit absurd, based on the last few years. But based on the direction the cap is headed, the $$ teams have available this offseason, etc, its not ridiculous (though I think still a bit high for a one-dimensional guy with only moderate offensive production).

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Lose the battle win the war. Goal is to win a cup. Even if we lose out on some value I could care less. There are plenty of teams interested. If we can strike a deal great but it may not happen either ofc. And top wingers are making 10 mil plus easy.
what happens when the return for marner is garbage and then our shit for brains management uses the capspace on not good players?

Reactions: Rude Dog

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I think we all need to readjust our contract expectations to a rising cap. The cap essentially hasn't moved in like 5 years (rose 2M over 5 years), which is unprecedented. Before COVID, the cap rose on average by ~2.8M, which would have been ~14M over those 5 years following COVID.

All of that to say, historically every offseason, there was "sticker shock" with UFA contracts. Domi at 4.5M does sound a bit absurd, based on the last few years. But based on the direction the cap is headed, the $$ teams have available this offseason, etc, its not ridiculous (though I think still a bit high for a one-dimensional guy with only moderate offensive production).
The Leafs should let other teams set the market for bad contracts. They’ve set the market in the past just for no one to follow.

what happens when the return for marner is garbage and then our shit for brains management uses the capspace on not good players?
Then the Leafs don’t win the cup for the 58th straight year.

Reactions: ToneDog

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
The Leafs should let other teams set the market for bad contracts. They’ve set the market in the past just for no one to follow.

Then the Leafs don’t win the cup for the 58th straight year.
probably also close the potential window for good; If you're trading marner for pennies on the dollar and then you turn around and spend the money on brett pesce and some other over the hill folk the leafs are probably going to end up with 70 year drought lol

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
probably also close the potential window for good; If you're trading marner for pennies on the dollar and then you turn around and spend the money on brett pesce and some other over the hill folk the leafs are probably going to end up with 70 year drought lol
So you believe that if they keep Marner they can win? You believe that signing his next contract is shrewd business? The highest paid winger, signed until 36? He will most likely be the highest paid winger for the entirety of his next contract too - depending on what Kaprizov gets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad