Speculation: Sabres 1st round pick (11th overall) in play

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Would rather package 11 and a plethora of picks and prospects for a 2c or target a top 4 rhd

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah this draft is too good to trade the 11th for anything less than a top 6 center/top line winger or top 2/3 D. I mean Adams might be motivated by the fact that he wants to save his job though.

What age and team control do you expect for that top 6F or top 2/3 D? What team is going to trade a team controlled hit (top 6F or top 4D) for the 11th pick that may be a hit or a bust?

Are you prepared to get someone like Debrincat who is close to UFA or someone you can convince to stay? Because nobody is trading a young hit who is in the NHL producing. If that happens, it's a circumstantial trade (cap space issues, etc).

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You are assuming that you are going to get a Trouba like player in FA right?

From a cap perspective sure they trade Trouba but he definitely brings something extra to the NYR in intimidation that temas value a lot.

Either way the Sabers back end is solid they need forwards help way more.
On paper, maybe. Better way to put it is that they have "talent". They certainly could use a tough, rock solid defender, preferably RH. Their situation at forward is about the same. Lots of "talent", but need tough, two way guys there.

I think that they also need a change in mindset, and blew it by not offering the farm to Berube. Getting the comfortable old shoe that is Ruff is a half measure, and doesn't speak well to the owner's/upper management's commitment to improving the team.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Yeah this draft is too good to trade the 11th for anything less than a top 6 center/top line winger or top 2/3 D. I mean Adams might be motivated by the fact that he wants to save his job though.
What makes this draft "too good"? One guy that is suppossed to be a can't miss and then at least 10 guys in a group where noone stands out, last year was much stronger and next year is probably better as well.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That is absolutely terrible. That’s a better return then what Eichel got along with other star players
I don't agree, at all. 11th is nice but by no means a getting you a sure thing(as BUF can attest to). Kulich is a late 1st that is doing well(but not amazingly) in the AHL, with no NHL experience. No one cares about the last guy.

RA is a top 2 Dman at a minimum. Still relatively young, vg both ways, and RH, which is exactly what BUF needs. Doesn't hurt that he is a Swede, and would likely be the perfect guy to support the Sabres best player, Dahlin.

If I was BUF I'd do that deal in a flash. Would go a long way to cement their D. If i was Calgary i would insist on someone like Byram instead of Jokiharju.

Last edited:

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
I don't agree, at all. 11th is nice but by no means a getting you a sure thing(as BUF can attest to). Kulich is a late 1st that is doing well(but not amazingly) in the AHL, with no NHL experience. No one cares about the last guy.

RA is a top 2 Dman at a minimum. Still relatively young, vg both ways, and RH, which is exactly what BUF needs. Doesn't hurt that he is a Swede, and would likely be the perfect guy to support the Sabres best player, Dahlin.

If I was BUF I'd do that deal in a flash. Would go a long way to cement their D. If i was Calagary i would insist on someone like Byram instead of Jokiharju.
Wasn't Kulich just named to the AHL top prospects team for a second year in a row after scoring 27 goals?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

If I was BUF I'd do that deal in a flash. Would go a long way to cement their D. If i was Calagary i would insist on someone like Byram instead of Jokiharju.
Absolutely not, that's an overpay. Kulich is a stud just like Savoie. Our two best prospects. #11 is pretty valuable considering the current draft range that includes Celebrini and everyone else. Jokiharju, as much as I like him, is still a decent NHL player at RD and had his best season. I'm not even sure why we need Andersson considering we have three defensemen at PP and we need a defensive and preferably physical RD like DeMelo or someone like that.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
On paper, maybe. Better way to put it is that they have "talent". They certainly could use a tough, rock solid defender, preferably RH. Their situation at forward is about the same. Lots of "talent", but need tough, two way guys there.

I think that they also need a change in mindset, and blew it by not offering the farm to Berube. Getting the comfortable old shoe that is Ruff is a half measure, and doesn't speak well to the owner's/upper management's commitment to improving the team.
Sabres did exactly this and got burned by Babcock years ago. They couldn’t risk being used for leverage by Berube, getting burned again and being left without a veteran coach “chair”.

I personally don’t think the gap between Lindy and Berube is that big. We’ll see what happens but most of us are good with the Lindy hire. He checks all the boxes we needed in a coach.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

3 first round picks, one of them 11OA -- for a one-season rental?? I'm sorry but there's zero precedent for that type of trade.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Sabres did exactly this and got burned by Babcock years ago. They couldn’t risk being used for leverage by Berube, getting burned again and being left without a veteran coach “chair”.

I personally don’t think the gap between Lindy and Berube is that big. We’ll see what happens but most of us are good with the Lindy hire. He checks all the boxes we needed in a coach.
People always seem to forget that had it not been for the most catastrophic bad luck to ever befall a pro hockey team ( half the roster injured and playing a defacto SCF Game 7 missing 4 of 6 starting defensemen) we'd be talking about the 2006 Cup Champion Sabres playing their home games at Lindy Ruff Arena with a giant statue of Lindy holding up the cup in Alumni Plaza.

Reactions: MeenOlViks

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
11th is worth what 11th is worth. However, at the draft, 11th can be worth a hell of a lot more to a team if their player falls.

If I can ship out 11th and Kulich for a top 6 player, I do it in a second.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
People always seem to forget that had it not been for the most catastrophic bad luck to ever befall a pro hockey team ( half the roster injured and playing a defacto SCF Game 7 missing 4 of 6 starting defensemen) we'd be talking about the 2006 Cup Champion Sabres playing their home games at Lindy Ruff Arena with a giant statue of Lindy holding up the cup in Alumni Plaza.
On the plus side, a strain of Jay McKee's staph infection did make it into the Carolina Hurricanes' Hall of Fame. It is kept in a specially designed -80° freezer, and is ready to be regrown should the Sabres ever come close to winning again.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
On the plus side, a strain of Jay McKee's staph infection did make it into the Carolina Hurricanes' Hall of Fame. It is kept in a specially designed -80° freezer, and is ready to be regrown should the Sabres ever come close to winning again.

Whoa, biological warfare is taking “bunch of jerks” to a whole new level. I don’t hate it, let’s see how it plays out.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
3 first round picks, one of them 11OA -- for a one-season rental?? I'm sorry but there's zero precedent for that type of trade.
WUT?

How would Rasmus be a 1 year rental? He's signed for 2 more years at one of the best deals around.
And calling Joki a 1st rnd pick still is pretty funny.

Andersson is for sure worth that package. Hell, I might even turn it down.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The last two seasons were sliding 18 and 19 ur old years. Compare apples to apples

If I was BUF I'd do that deal in a flash. Would go a long way to cement their D. If i was Calgary i would insist on someone like Byram instead of Jokiharju.
RA is rental value now. Hes not getting 11OA let alone add to it.

Not for 11 oa but I think Kotkaniemi and or the rights to Teravainen/Pesce would be good for Buffalo.
I dont.

Travis Konecny
Rental is not getting 11OA

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
WUT?

How would Rasmus be a 1 year rental? He's signed for 2 more years at one of the best deals around.
And calling Joki a 1st rnd pick still is pretty funny.

Andersson is for sure worth that package. Hell, I might even turn it down.
2 yrs left is rental territory. You dont get top 12 draft picks knowingly.

A more likely is Jokiharju+krebs+playoff protected 2025 1st orjokiharju, kulich and a 2nd

• Haha
Reactions: EveryDay

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium