Speculation: Sabres 1st round pick (11th overall) in play

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
You realize they are paying the AHL only contracts in Rochester?

They have a few NCAA players they cant sign yet

They might have had one of the highest ELC roster counts

Realistically you need

23 man roster
3-4 sliding contracts outside AHL
16 Rochester contracts (9/5/2)
1 other for another G
Can conversation an AHL only if needed.

Every team has the same issues and most teams don't sit at the bottom of the list for players under contracts. I'm pretty sure they were at 42 contracts for most of the year. I know they were bottom of the league. But keep attacking me and don't face the reality of this owner. (This isn't about one contract. Who cares about Lindgren. It's about all of it under the worst owner in the league.)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The guy is 19. I could bring up Brandon Hagel but stuff happens. It's not about one guy. These mid to late picks are mostly lottery tickets. I get that. I don't even blame them on Hagel. Who knew? My issue is, why are you not getting as many lottery tickets as you can? Do you ask yourself that?

There are just so many troubling signs about this team's spending. Old Pegula was wreckless. It was dumb, and stupid contracts weigh you down, but you are handicapped by penny-pinching, too. There is a middle ground. Using some of the loopholes in the cap requires real money.

I respect ownership not wanting to lose money but Pegula was the guy who said that didn't matter.

Why is this a hill worth dying on?
Many mid/late round picks dont get signed
In an ideal world for ELCs you want to target about 5 per year coming in for AHL
Next year they have Savoie, kulich. Ostlund, komarov, unsure on Wahlberg.

They could also just sign him to a AHL only contract if he goes undrafted. That doesnt carry a 3 yr commitment.

Reactions: Jacob582

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Every team has the same issues and most teams don't sit at the bottom of the list for players under contracts. I'm pretty sure they were at 42 contracts for most of the year. I know they were bottom of the league. But keep attacking me and don't face the reality of this owner. (This isn't about one contract. Who cares about Lindgren. It's about all of it under the worst owner in the league.)
I dont see the contract count being an issue because you are forgetting the ELCs on the main roster.

With this past years team if Peterka, Quinn, Power, benson,Krebs were not on the Sabres but in AHL/sliding contracts and filled them with vets their contracts would be 47

Look at the league roster count factoring in ELCs on the big teams roster. You will see some vorre ln action with lower roster counts if you have more on big club

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Why is this a hill worth dying on?
Many mid/late round picks dont get signed
In an ideal world for ELCs you want to target about 5 per year coming in for AHL
Next year they have Savoie, kulich. Ostlund, komarov, unsure on Wahlberg.

They could also just sign him to a AHL only contract if he goes undrafted. That doesnt carry a 3 yr commitment.

It's not. But the direction of the franchise (in terms of spending) is troubling. I accept we won't be Vegas using scamming LTIR or Leafs with crazy front-loaded and bonus contracts but if we are $8 to $10 M under cap it's a big handicap. It just doesn't look like Pegula has same commitment financially. I won't ever get it. The guy is 73 and worth $7 billion, and a die-hard fan, but these billionaires are tight with bucks.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
what's your goalie situation like?

can have our 14th OA and one of Blackwood or Vanacek for 11OA if you're keen on trading down.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Habs are sending this year's first AND next with Gallagher? Wow. Thank you.

Yup, the Jets and Flames 1st. :naughty:

giphy.gif

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't understand how this guy can be so valuable. Although Konecny is a different story.

View attachment 881130View attachment 881132

One of the weirdest cases of an incredibly mid player that everyone seems to somehow think has big value. I’m not sure I’d want to waste a roster spot on him if Philly was giving him away for free (given the current make up of the team and the prospects knocking on the door), much less trade high end assets for him.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Levi’s been doing very, very well in the AHL, but I don’t think there are any Sabres fans who want to see him penned into the line-up before camp opens. Get a vet backup and let Levi keep developing—he’ll get his chances when injuries inevitably happen.
Actually, he is probably good to go. Rochester's absent defense style prepped him plenty :naughty:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I thoughts Luukkonen backup was Levi? Am I wrong here?
Levi likely pjayd in Rochester withc as ll ups so hrd playing trgularly.

Thry can resign comrie for a year.

Levi’s been doing very, very well in the AHL, but I don’t think there are any Sabres fans who want to see him penned into the line-up before camp opens. Get a vet backup and let Levi keep developing—he’ll get his chances when injuries inevitably happen.
He can be called when in 3 in 4 or 4 in 6 stretches or even on b2b mid week.

He needs to play 50+ for conditioning

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
If 11 is moving, I want a higher end player. Not Scott freaking Laughton. If Calgary wants to retain on Kadri I am all for it. They wont be good before he is bad and we can give them 11+.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If 11 is moving, I want a higher end player. Not Scott freaking Laughton. If Calgary wants to retain on Kadri I am all for it. They wont be good before he is bad and we can give them 11+.

No way Calgary is retaining on Kadri with the length of hie contract left.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don’t let the angsty Sabres fans fool you.

The team would like to effectively flip Jokiharju for a more physical 4/5 RHD, but they are not going big game hunting on the blueline.

The team has Dahlin, Samuelsson and Power under contract for 6 more years and just flipped a good young 2C to acquire Byram.

They can’t afford to invest even more into the blueline.

What they really need is a sturdy middle 6 centre who is reliable in his own zone. Edgy would help. Think along the lines of Cirelli, Jenner, Kadri, Bennett, or a young Jordan Staal, or a lesser version of the same. A guy like Nic Roy would be a great fit.

They can and would add more futures to 11 if the return required more and they have room to add a salary.

I’m thinking of recent trades like Horvat, Reinhart, Fiala, but they could also look at an older guy with a year or 3 left on his contract too.
The way LAK's fans are whining about Fiala you'd think that they would welcome a 11oa for Fiala trade. I would do that in a flash, from the BUF POV, though probably some salary would have to go back the other way.

Fantasy land, unfortunately, as Fiala has a NMC.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I know there have been questions on future of Joker in Buffalo and need for a better RD who can pair/fit better with other defenders Sabres have

To :hawks
D Henri Jokiharju (RFA)
11th overall pick
43rd overall pick

To :sabres
D Connor Murphy (2 x $4.4M)
18th overall pick
34th overall pick

Hawks jump to #11 in draft and get a younger RD back in deal

Sabres get a vet SAH upgrade at RD who can PK and while downgrading 1st round pick improve 2nd round pick.

Joker being RFA in need of raise and not potentially being fit in Buffalo makes moving on from him easier for Sabres IMO. He was also an inherited piece for GM and they may not want to commit a raise and extension to him. Hawks have plenty of room and signing Joker to a 2-year deal shouldn't be issue as he can hold fort on right side until Rinzel (Or I assume Levshunov comes along)

Murphy has limited NTC but given direction Sabres are moving (Nearly made playoffs) and Hawks being 2nd worst team in NHL and in full rebuild convincing him to waive it for Buffalo (If they are on his list) may not be a difficult move

Reactions: Jacob582

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad