Speculation: Sabres 1st round pick (11th overall) in play

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
What's the biggest single need the Sabres have? RD? Goalie?

0 need for a goalie (Luukkonen), and I’d never trade an asset like the 11th for one anyway. A good *defensive* RHD would be nice, but by far our biggest need is a quality matchup center. Could also use more sandpaper throughout the lineup, but obviously the pick isn’t getting traded for some bottom 6 grinder.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
0 need for a goalie (Luukkonen), and I’d never trade an asset like the 11th for one anyway. A good *defensive* RHD would be nice, but by far our biggest need is a quality matchup center. Could also use more sandpaper throughout the lineup, but obviously the pick isn’t getting traded for some bottom 6 grinder.
Makes sense, kids got potential.

Lots of decent RHD on the UFA market this year it looks like, you guys have cap space to work with? Could probably fill that need without trading the 11th.

Hm Match Up Center would be tough though. Wonder if there are any targets out there

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think a shutdown line as a whole is a need for the Sabres. Oodles of offensive talent. Some guys they can use in tough matchups would be ideal. A younger Backlund and Coleman type would make the Sabres way better.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Don’t let the angsty Sabres fans fool you.

The team would like to effectively flip Jokiharju for a more physical 4/5 RHD, but they are not going big game hunting on the blueline.

The team has Dahlin, Samuelsson and Power under contract for 6 more years and just flipped a good young 2C to acquire Byram.

They can’t afford to invest even more into the blueline.

What they really need is a sturdy middle 6 centre who is reliable in his own zone. Edgy would help. Think along the lines of Cirelli, Jenner, Kadri, Bennett, or a young Jordan Staal, or a lesser version of the same. A guy like Nic Roy would be a great fit.

They can and would add more futures to 11 if the return required more and they have room to add a salary.

I’m thinking of recent trades like Horvat, Reinhart, Fiala, but they could also look at an older guy with a year or 3 left on his contract too.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Don’t let the angsty Sabres fans fool you.

The team would like to effectively flip Jokiharju for a more physical 4/5 RHD, but they are not going big game hunting on the blueline.

The team has Dahlin, Samuelsson and Power under contract for 6 more years and just flipped a good young 2C to acquire Byram.

They can’t afford to invest even more into the blueline.

What they really need is a sturdy middle 6 centre who is reliable in his own zone. Edgy would help. Think along the lines of Cirelli, Jenner, Bennett, or a young Jordan Staal.
Yeah think this sums it up. I imagine they'll be signing some new blood for the bottom line via FA as well. I also would like another top 6 winger but that seems like more of a pipe dream.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The 11OA should be in play and needs to be in play.

The Buffalo Sabres NEED to make, and maintain progress and that means making the playoffs to end the drought, and then becoming a team that makes them consistently.

I actually like their defense assuming it stays healthy especially in Byram's case.

I could see a situation where Mitch Marner ends up there, if staying close to home is important to him you won't get closer to Toronto than Buffalo.

The question is does he want to stay close to home? And even if he does, does he want to go to a team that has missed the playoffs 13 straight years?

Or does he see himself as the guy that can end that?

Does he see himself as the difference?

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
The 11OA should be in play and needs to be in play.

The Buffalo Sabres NEED to make, and maintain progress and that means making the playoffs to end the drought, and then becoming a team that makes them consistently.

I actually like their defense assuming it stays healthy especially in Byram's case.

I could see a situation where Mitch Marner ends up there, if staying close to home is important to him you won't get closer to Toronto than Buffalo.

The question is does he want to stay close to home? And even if he does, does he want to go to a team that has missed the playoffs 13 straight years?

Or does he see himself as the guy that can end that?

Does he see himself as the difference?

No disrespect to Marner who is a much better player than people are currently making him out to be, but he's not the player the Sabres need.

Not that he wouldn't help them, it's just that the cap space and the acquisition cost still leaves them with a big hole at centre and a need for grit, but with far fewer assets to acquire either.

They already have a plethora of skill wingers (Skinner, Quinn, Peterka, Benson and Rosen, with the latter 4 young, cheap and improving) Only way Marner goes to the Sabres is if Skinner is going the other way.

Buffalo would look at that, depending on what they would have to add.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No disrespect to Marner who is a much better player than people are currently making him out to be, but he's not the player the Sabres need.

Not that he wouldn't help them, it's just that the cap space and the acquisition cost still leaves them with a big hole at centre and a need for grit, but with far fewer assets to acquire either.

They already have a plethora of skill wingers (Skinner, Quinn, Peterka, Benson and Rosen, with the latter 4 young, cheap and improving) Only way Marner goes to the Sabres is if Skinner is going the other way.

Buffalo would look at that, depending on what they would have to add.

I think Marner might be exactly the player they need, not by himself I don't think any pone addition is getting Buffalo to the playoffs, the drought is to long for me to be confident in any one player getting Buffalo to the playoffs.

But when I hear Sabres fans talk about needing a top 6 forward, Marner certainly fits that bill.

That's of course assuming he would agree to go.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Agreed. If it’s Kulich or Ostlund, would do it as a Flyers fan. Think it’s fair value as well (not some overpay). Also assuming this would be a signed TK.
Well, I don’t think we can sign TK in advance, this can only be done after the first of July.

It won't cost that much.
Well, we're completely dumping Skinner's contract and getting a very solid top-6 forward. Although I have a hard time imagining Jeff dreaming of working with Torts.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Well, I don’t think we can sign TK in advance, this can only be done after the first of July.

Well, we're completely dumping Skinner's contract and getting a very solid top-6 forward. Although I have a hard time imagining Jeff dreaming of working with Torts.

Can Skinner play LW?

What about Josh Norris and 9th overall for a signed tk?

I don’t love it simply because of the injury history of Norris (believe he’s the one with the busted shoulder right?) I’d want a little more surety for the Flyers best player to at least be in the lineup. But like Norris as a player.

Actually heard something around Couts for Norris. High risk for both teams. Couts with his aging curve and injury history (played really well - 2C for 60 games last year then fell off a cliff), and Norris with his shoulder.

It was interesting at least. Also think we can include Laughton, Risto (RHD, believe Sens need that) and then later first to grab Chychrun as well if that’s a possibility and he’s not signing.

TK, Laughton, Risto, 31st

For

Chycrun, Norris (or equivalent?), 9th

Maybe? I dunno, I suck at these.

Gives Flyers a C, they get a bit younger and really punches up the “culture” for the Sens but also upgrades their top 6 forward and gives a defensive RHD to pair with their LHD.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Can Skinner play LW?

I don’t love it simply because of the injury history of Norris (believe he’s the one with the busted shoulder right?) I’d want a little more surety for the Flyers best player to at least be in the lineup. But like Norris as a player.

Actually heard something around Couts for Norris. High risk for both teams. Couts with his aging curve and injury history (played really well - 2C for 60 games last year then fell off a cliff), and Norris with his shoulder.

It was interesting at least. Also think we can include Laughton, Risto (RHD, believe Sens need that) and then later first to grab Chychrun as well if that’s a possibility and he’s not signing.

TK, Laughton, Risto, 31st

For

Chycrun, Norris (or equivalent?), 9th

Maybe? I dunno, I suck at these.

Gives Flyers a C, they get a bit younger and really punches up the “culture” for the Sens but also upgrades their top 6 forward and gives a defensive RHD to pair with their LHD.
Risto is not a defensive RHD, but I'd still make the deal. Also since I'm a Flames and Sens fan, I got our picks mixed up haha. Sens are actually 7th overall.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Risto is not a defensive RHD, but I'd still make the deal. Also since I'm a Flames and Sens fan, I got our picks mixed up haha. Sens are actually 7th overall.

He is now actually. 3rd in the league in xGAR behind Spurgeon and somebody. Was posted in the Flyers forum. Actually a very good defensive dman after working with Torts and Shaw.

Problem is his offense dried up, and his contract paid for him assuming he was 2 way. Lately his injuries are an issue as well, but he has absolutely become a defensive dman.

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
Don’t think we resign Buchy… leaning towards getting younger to compete again in 2-3 years.

At least that is my take on what I’m hearing.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

All the same on the pick. It gets the Flyers younger and the opportunity to draft a Dman and Catton.

Gets the Sens some character and grit on D and F, and maybe the best SH duo in the league together.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think Marner might be exactly the player they need, not by himself I don't think any pone addition is getting Buffalo to the playoffs, the drought is to long for me to be confident in any one player getting Buffalo to the playoffs.

But when I hear Sabres fans talk about needing a top 6 forward, Marner certainly fits that bill.

That's of course assuming he would agree to go.
No thanks to Marner. Overpaid.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
So Byram - Jokiharju it is!

Henri not signed for next year (yet), so you may get your wish.

He is not signed because we will be well under the cap. You can expect worse players than Jokiharju filling out the D. Brace yourself. Maybe one of the kids, like Ryan Johnson or Novikov, came out of nowhere. That's the hope. They wouldn't even sign Lindgren to an entry-level deal but even with endless contract slots. He is a long shot at the NHL, but that is a cost-saving move. Sabres are a poverty franchise now. With every deal, always check how much $$$$ defines the decision. Starting today, the Sabres's reason for existence is for Pegula to save money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad