Speculation: Sabres 1st round pick (11th overall) in play

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Makes sense, kids got potential.

Lots of decent RHD on the UFA market this year it looks like, you guys have cap space to work with? Could probably fill that need without trading the 11th.

Hm Match Up Center would be tough though. Wonder if there are any targets out there
The issue is buffalo DOES NOT have the cap spacr in 25/26 or 26/27

Peterka and Quinn are RFAd and Greenway a UFA. Say Peter m.j a snd Quinn get 3 yr bridges st %3.5M each
Also now have Bynam.

Right now signed roster is$64.5 with the 4 above under contract. The additional salary near $9M

In 2026 Tuch us as UFA snd benson is an RFA. It probably costs $5.5M more in keeping both.

In looking at current teams structure

8/5/0 $64.5M
UPL resigned for 4 yrs at $4.5M
Backup G next year, Levi 25/26 $1.5M
8/5/2 $70.5M
When you add in the raises in salaries

8/5/2
24/25 $64.5M
25/26 $73.5M
26/27 $76.5M ( Clifton is a UFA bur replaced with an ELC/low contract

During these years Savoie, Kulich, ostlund on ELCs. If you add 3F ELCs and a low vet for 4F at $4.5M and a $1.5M 7D

12/6/2
24/25 $70.5M. $87.7M
25/26 $79.5M. $90.5M
26/27 $83.5M $94M

I have not accounted for Krebs, Jokiharju, or Ryan Johnson.

Ryan Johbdin could be that added D with a fill on for 24/25. Slot salary $2M

Thsy leaves about $8M to pjsy with long term over 3years.

Buffalo drafted some decent RD so they are not looking at signing a UFA to a long contract. They as also have RFA Jokiharju.

The D can be

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Power-xxx
Byram'-Clifton

Sam-Dahlin
Power-byram
Johnson-Clifton

I think they might be looking at a cheaper RD at $3M or less because their D/G salary we I'll be higher than desired.

They could trade Johnson for a young RD

They have at C po stlund and possibly Kulich ir Savoie. They could draft a C.

The 3C is also a short term thing.

They traded mittlestadt because their 3C is higher than they allocate. They are looking st $4M or less for that role.

They would like a winger with size. They drafted one in 2nd round last year. Someone who nay be middle 6 also short term

With these p ln syerd its eith short term vet for 2-4 yrs or they want a U23 player

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I think Marner might be exactly the player they need, not by himself I don't think any pone addition is getting Buffalo to the playoffs, the drought is to long for me to be confident in any one player getting Buffalo to the playoffs.

The Sabres making the playoffs is definitely not about any one addition.

It's about the ceilings of Thompson, Cozens, Power, Byram, Quinn and others on their roster who were nowhere near those ceilings last season.

The potential of all their young talent needs to mature and be realized, or McDavid won't get them into the playoffs

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
He is not signed because we will be well under the cap. You can expect worse players than Jokiharju filling out the D. Brace yourself. Maybe one of the kids, like Ryan Johnson or Novikov, came out of nowhere. That's the hope. They wouldn't even sign Lindgren to an entry-level deal but even with endless contract slots. He is a long shot at the NHL, but that is a cost-saving move. Sabres are a poverty franchise now. With every deal, always check how much $$$$ defines the decision. Starting today, the Sabres's reason for existence is for Pegula to save money.
Not signing Lindgren was a cost- saving move?

That's a hockey decision.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He is not signed because we will be well under the cap. You can expect worse players than Jokiharju filling out the D. Brace yourself. Maybe one of the kids, like Ryan Johnson or Novikov, came out of nowhere. That's the hope. They wouldn't even sign Lindgren to an entry-level deal but even with endless contract slots. He is a long shot at the NHL, but that is a cost-saving move. Sabres are a poverty franchise now. With every deal, always check how much $$$$ defines the decision. Starting today, the Sabres's reason for existence is for Pegula to save money.

They didn’t sign Lindgren because he sucks. There was zero growth in his game over the last two full seasons. None. Nada. That’s why they didn’t sign him. Man, some of your takes are so far out in the field. I feel like you’re just trying to troll for reactions.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
They didn’t sign Lindgren because he sucks. There was zero growth in his game over the last two full seasons. None. Nada. That’s why they didn’t sign him. Man, some of your takes are so far out in the field. I feel like you’re just trying to troll for reactions.

What are the bets the Sabres will be nowhere near the 50 contracts allowed. They were somewhere near 42 most of the year. Lowest in the league. Lindgren was a long shot. I said that. A nothing but a small symbol of spending. It's not one thing. It's everything. The Sabres are penny-pinching everywhere. I feel like your naivete is a desperate need to feel good about a franchise that has missed the playoffs 13 years straight. I get it. I'm a fan going on 50 years but reality is hard to miss.

Could also be a benefit to the player.

Will the Sabres be anywhere near the 50 contracts slots or bottom of the league once again?

• Wow
Reactions: Jacob582

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The issue is buffalo DOES NOT have the cap spacr in 25/26 or 26/27

Peterka and Quinn are RFAd and Greenway a UFA. Say Peter m.j a snd Quinn get 3 yr bridges st %3.5M each
Also now have Bynam.

Right now signed roster is$64.5 with the 4 above under contract. The additional salary near $9M

In 2026 Tuch us as UFA snd benson is an RFA. It probably costs $5.5M more in keeping both.

In looking at current teams structure

8/5/0 $64.5M
UPL resigned for 4 yrs at $4.5M
Backup G next year, Levi 25/26 $1.5M
8/5/2 $70.5M
When you add in the raises in salaries

8/5/2
24/25 $64.5M
25/26 $73.5M
26/27 $76.5M ( Clifton is a UFA bur replaced with an ELC/low contract

During these years Savoie, Kulich, ostlund on ELCs. If you add 3F ELCs and a low vet for 4F at $4.5M and a $1.5M 7D

12/6/2
24/25 $70.5M. $87.7M
25/26 $79.5M. $90.5M
26/27 $83.5M $94M

I have not accounted for Krebs, Jokiharju, or Ryan Johnson.

Ryan Johbdin could be that added D with a fill on for 24/25. Slot salary $2M

Thsy leaves about $8M to pjsy with long term over 3years.

Buffalo drafted some decent RD so they are not looking at signing a UFA to a long contract. They as also have RFA Jokiharju.

The D can be

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Power-xxx
Byram'-Clifton

Sam-Dahlin
Power-byram
Johnson-Clifton

I think they might be looking at a cheaper RD at $3M or less because their D/G salary we I'll be higher than desired.

They could trade Johnson for a young RD

They have at C po stlund and possibly Kulich ir Savoie. They could draft a C.

The 3C is also a short term thing.

They traded mittlestadt because their 3C is higher than they allocate. They are looking st $4M or less for that role.

They would like a winger with size. They drafted one in 2nd round last year. Someone who nay be middle 6 also short term

With these p ln syerd its eith short term vet for 2-4 yrs or they want a U23 player
Musing about the Sabres needing cap space is hilarious since they don't actually field teams anywhere near the cap for how many years now? Four years now. LOL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What are the bets the Sabres will be nowhere near the 50 contracts allowed. They were somewhere near 42 most of the year. Lowest in the league. Lindgren was a long shot. I said that. A nothing but a small symbol of spending. It's not one thing. It's everything. The Sabres are penny-pinching everywhere. I feel like your naivete is a desperate need to feel good about a franchise that has missed the playoffs 13 years straight. I get it. I'm a fan going on 50 years but reality is hard to miss.

I’m naive about this team? :biglaugh: Ha, sure thing pal.
Will the Sabres be anywhere near the 50 contracts slots or bottom of the league once again?

Why would they sign someone who is not worth a contract? They did this with Karabacek and Cornel when they weren’t worth it. There is no need because he was not actually good at defending in the WHL, let alone against men in a pro league. He regressed last year, he wasn’t being used in important situations in D+1. There is nothing there. FFS.

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Why would they sign someone who is not worth a contract? They did this with Karabacek and Cornel when they weren’t worth it. There is no need because he was not actually good at defending on the WHL, let alone against men in a pro league. He regressed last year, he wasn’t being used in important situations in D+1. There is nothing there. FFS.

The guy is 19. I could bring up Brandon Hagel but stuff happens. It's not about one guy. These mid to late picks are mostly lottery tickets. I get that. I don't even blame them on Hagel. Who knew? My issue is, why are you not getting as many lottery tickets as you can? Do you ask yourself that?

There are just so many troubling signs about this team's spending. Old Pegula was wreckless. It was dumb, and stupid contracts weigh you down, but you are handicapped by penny-pinching, too. There is a middle ground. Using some of the loopholes in the cap requires real money.

I respect ownership not wanting to lose money but Pegula was the guy who said that didn't matter.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Needs if trading #11? Top 6 power forward or top 6 two way center.

Defensive center and bottom 6 toughness and penalty killer are more realistic needs but shouldn't cost #11 overall.
Guy who I think would be great fit for Sabres for a lot of reasons is Brayden Schenn. His best spot is top 6 power winger, but he can impersonate decent 3rd line center. He isn't really 2nd line center anymore. He is also the kind of veteran leader who can both play 18 minutes a night and mentor the next generation. Unfortunately for us, our next generation is further behind yours. So assuming he would waive (which is big assumption), what- if anything- would we have to add (1 or more of retention, picks, or players, could all potentially be in play) to make it worthwhile for Sabres?

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
He was supposed to be a 1st round pick but plummeted in that too. He has only regressed since D-1 year

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

Why would they sign someone who is not worth a contract? They did this with Karabacek and Cornel when they weren’t worth it. There is no need because he was not actually good at defending on the WHL, let alone against men in a pro league. He regressed last year, he wasn’t being used in important situations in D+1. There is nothing there. FFS.
Hey!

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
When your lotto ticket has losing numbers, you throw it out. A 4th round pick who has gotten worse each year since he was drafted is a losing ticket. Toss it and move on.

You have missed the metaphor. If you are allowed to hold 50 lottery tickets and the cost of the tickets does not matter, you hold 50 or close to 50. Sure, if you are 100% sure the ticket is a loser, throw it out. (That isn't clear, but whatever). But the issue we threw away a likely losing ticket, and it's almost a given we will not be holding anywhere close to 50 as has been the case.

I'm sure I will be told this or that to justify this regime (which coincidentally found an AHL coach who was probably cheaper than anyone with real professional experience.) \\

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

You realize they are paying the AHL only contracts in Rochester?

They have a few NCAA players they cant sign yet

They might have had one of the highest ELC roster counts

Realistically you need

23 man roster
3-4 sliding contracts outside AHL
16 Rochester contracts (9/5/2)
1 other for another G
Can conversation an AHL only if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad