GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If they use $6mm on Tanev, they can't use $6mm on a long term solution.
You assume all our options will come here. If all we can do is Zadorov on a 5 to 6 yr and Tanev on a 1 year it's still improving. I doubt we sign 3 defenseman. Every team with cap will be looking. Toronto won't be everyone's first choice. Look at Hannifin. We have to hope we get 2 out of this year's.

Just like Bertuzzi wasn't worth 5.5mm last year.

We know they are going to Reaves another player this year.
Most will groan, and accept it is part of the Supply and Demand issue.
I'd rather Debrusk but he likely will stay away.

I'll take that bet all day.

5-5.25M is the max

He likely prefers term.
Some GM will make him bank, just watch.

horner

May 22, 2007
For people wanting to trade for Binnington. 0.870 have % at the world championship .
The 1st goal today ahe misaed on a muffin to the top corner.
6 mill no thanks

Reactions: Al14 and Menzinger

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You assume all our options will come here. If all we can do is Zadorov on a 5 to 6 yr and Tanev on a 1 year it's still improving. I doubt we sign 3 defenseman. Every team with cap will be looking. Toronto won't be everyone's first choice. Look at Hannifin. We have to hope we get 2 out of this year's.

I assume nothing.

I hope he can encourage a defender for the top 3 spots to sign, and yes would pay the cost for that one.

They really don't have cap space to sign 2 good defenders. They can sign maybe one good defender and one depth defender.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
For people wanting to trade for Binnington. 0.870 have % at the world championship .
6 mill no thanks
"For people wanting player x, this happened in a game once, today".

Please tell me you're taking a piss with this :laugh:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
6 mill no thanks

He's an average starter is how I see him. He's tied for 13th-16th of 24 goalies since his rookie season for save % (minimum 200 games played).

If you exclude his really hot rookie season that he's never come close to replicating, he's 12th of 14 goalies (again, 200+ games played). Expand that a bit to 175+ games played, and he's 17th of 24.

So he'd certainly provide more stability than Campbell/Samsonov, but I wouldn't say he's likely to contend for a Conn Smyth if we were to actually go deep with him.

Reactions: horner

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Assuming Marc Savard comes in, I was looking at who he coached in his 2 years at Windsor. He had Shane Wright last year. Possible connection there if Marner/Seattle is a match.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I assume nothing.

I hope he can encourage a defender for the top 3 spots to sign, and yes would pay the cost for that one.

They really don't have cap space to sign 2 good defenders. They can sign maybe one good defender and one depth defender.

I'd expect Lily and Timmins to be gone by the draft. They should have enough cap for 2ish top four guys depending on the salary. And then there's the bottom pairing and #7.

Also stuff depends on what they do with Boosh and Edmundson

I’d be happy with both, however Z isn’t worth 6mil, not now, not ever…….

I wouldn't pay him that either. But Im expecting Tre to make an aggressive pitch for him, based on the Calgary connection+ the attempt to trade for him earlier mid season. Same with Tanev.

Just need to hope the salary doesn't get too wild

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
6 mill no thanks
Markstrom on retention because it's a 2 year bridge for our young 3 goalies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
We seem to have quite a few prospects needing room on the wings. I wonder if instead of trying to re-sign Bertuzzi, Treliving shifts his attention to Monahan to solidify the middle of the ice.

Reactions: Duffman955

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
We seem to have quite a few prospects needing room on the wings. I wonder if instead of trying to re-sign Bertuzzi, Treliving shifts his attention to Monahan to solidify the middle of the ice.
Didn't Tre dump Monahan his last year in CGY?

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Marner was also crap...and is still crap without Hyman...maybe the problem is Marner because Hyman is certainly thriving somewhere else.
The problem we had with Hyman is we only used him as the crash and bang winger that got the puck to matthews or marner. In Edmonton they have a guy that carries the puck and all he has to do is go to the net for a pass or a rebound chance.

Reactions: Kurtz

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd expect Lily and Timmins to be gone by the draft. They should have enough cap for 2ish top four guys depending on the salary. And then there's the bottom pairing and #7.

Also stuff depends on what they do with Boosh and Edmundson

I wouldn't pay him that either. But Im expecting Tre to make an aggressive pitch for him, based on the Calgary connection+ the attempt to trade for him earlier mid season. Same with Tanev.

Just need to hope the salary doesn't get too wild

How? Aren't they trying to get a new starting goaltender plus resign Domi and Bertuzzi

That's a fair chunk of cash right there and I'm still not sure guys have even been asked to waive let alone agreed to it

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How? Aren't they trying to get a new starting goaltender plus resign Domi and Bertuzzi

That's a fair chunk of cash right there and I'm still not sure guys have even been asked to waive let alone agreed to it

I've seen a few lineup scenarios where they end up having more cash to play with than some think. Brodie + Klingberg is essentially enough for a couple top 4 guys or close to it.

If Tre really revamps the supporting cast, and guys like Kampf, Jarnkrok are moved there's more money.

I also won't be surprised if they end up going cheap on goaltending. Get a vet 1B for a tandem for a couple years. Though I keep hearing contradictory things.

And obviously a muh different ballgame if a core piece is moved too, which resets all salary structure predictions

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

GMs often bring in former players, and Monahan is from the GTA. Largely depends on if Treliving and Monahan had a good relationship, but yea, he'd be a good fit with Tavares on the decline and potentially gone in a year.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Just like Bertuzzi wasn't worth 5.5mm last year.

We know they are going to Reaves another player this year.
Most will groan, and accept it is part of the Supply and Demand issue.
I’d rather they set a new precedence and begin to not overpay players both in dollars and term. The great Johnny Bucyk used to like to sign one year deals, he stated it kept him honest, good times way back when………

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
6 mill no thanks
He was also putrid in the shoot-out. We need better goal tending than that for sure !!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad