GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
How much are you guys projecting on Byfield? 55 pts is nice and it's nice he's finally breaking out but I don't think he would really command much more than 4-5M on a 2-3 year deal, if you guys are going for term and paying for the potential....okay yea I see the price going up.
Personally I don't see the value in Byfield but a lotta other Kings fans seem to think he's earned a big long term deal.. like $7.5m+ and wanna lock in before the price goes up.

I don't think he's it but it'll probably happen. Also keep in mind 55 points in LA would be a lot more elsewhere

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Why are we discussing Kings trade possibilites? They have nothing the leafs want outside of Byfeld and Brandt Clarke and I don't see them getting traded.

Lets not do these inane Kempe at $5.5M is actually better than Marner at $10.9 nonsense. It's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33 and LeafChief

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Why are we discussing Kings trade possibilites? They have nothing the leafs want outside of Byfeld and Brandt Clarke and I don't see them getting traded.

Lets not do these inane Kempe at $5.5M is actually better than Marner at $10.9 nonsense. It's the dumbest thing I've ever read.
When the playoffs roll, I’d take Hyman and Kempe on the wings with Matthews over Marner at the same price everyday.

Regular season and going to the All-Star game, sure Marner is better.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Marner is miles ahead of Kempe, let’s be serious here. LA would be stupid to reject such a move centred around those two… Pinelli would be a solid piece to go after along with their 2nd next year.

To Toronto: Adrian Kempe + Francesco Pinelli + 2025 2nd Round Draft Pick
To Los Angeles: Mitch Marner

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
When the playoffs roll, I’d take Hyman and Kempe on the wings with Matthews over Marner at the same price everyday.

Regular season and going to the All-Star game, sure Marner is better.

You remember Hyman over here doing jack shit in the playoffs? Maybe you'll be salivating over Marner in 3 years.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Maybe if LA moves off of Fiala and/or Dubois the possibility for Marner opens up, but I'm not sure I see it.

Would Fiala+ be worth considering? If we're targeting forwards from LA I too prefer Kempe and Byfield but I think LA would be reluctant.

Roy and Talbot are pending UFAs that we could potentially get some early negotiating on as well?

If we're talking replacement forwards and spreading some money around, another name I like is Konecny. Dunno if Mitch is interested in Philly but I really wanted TK back when the Leafs were in position to draft him.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018

it isn't though.

You then have 7m cus mitch wants 12.5 next contract. You use that 7M and even if you get a forward like stephenson afor 6 or lindholm for 7 you're really saying three lines rolling JT Matty Kempe Lindholm Nylander Knies and Mcmann isn't better depth or more impactful?

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Just needed a different coach and better depth.

Better depth? He was riding shotgun with Matthews/Marner... it isn't like he was playing 3rd line and needed help.

He also was bad under 2 coaches.

He really just needed McDavid.

I like Hyman, but he will go down as one of the most overrated players ever because of who he has played with every season.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Just needed a different coach and better depth.

He needed to learn to lift the puck in close. You can go look through every goal he scored as a Leaf, maybe 1 or 2 of them weren’t slid in along the ice in tight. The only time he was able to lift the puck here was on PK breakaways where he had time and space to wire a wrist shot. In Edmonton he scores plenty of those JVR forehand backhand roofs after his first year there. He straight up didn’t have that mechanical ability here, it never happened.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That was a lesser part of the problem, which was magnified by the fact that we simply spent the money at less important positions.

No, our problem was we had half the cap tied up in 4 guys then couldn't get enough talent around them

If our problem was who we were paying why did our offense always disappear in the playoffs, that's where the bulk of our cap was going so by your logic it should have been OK not God awful

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
No, our problem was we had half the cap tied up in 4 guys then couldn't get enough talent around them

That was a small part of the problem. If we had a 10 million dollar defenseman(who was worth it), he could play a lot in all important situations. That would lighten the load on the whole defense core. If we had a 10 million dollar goalie (who was worth it), he'd cover up a lot of issues.

If our problem was who we were paying why did our offense always disappear in the playoffs, that's where the bulk of our cap was going so by your logic it should have been OK not God awful

Creating offense take a whole 5 man unit. When you have so much tied up in so few, especially in the least impactful positions, it makes it tough. Switch one of our 10 million dollar contracts to the blueline, and our transition game improves a ton, which helps out offense.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That was a small part of the problem. If we had a 10 million dollar defenseman(who was worth it), he could play a lot in all important situations. That would lighten the load on the whole defense core. If we had a 10 million dollar goalie (who was worth it), he'd cover up a lot of issues.

Creating offense take a whole 5 man unit. When you have so much tied up in so few, especially in the least impactful positions, it makes it tough. Switch one of our 10 million dollar contracts to the blueline, and our transition game improves a ton, which helps out offense.

We didn't have a problem defending in the playoffs, even with some meh goaltenders

We couldn't score, we also have an all offense no defense Rielly skating around transitioning the puck

2 goals or less in 12 of the last what? 13 games or something insane like that? It's a miracle we get to game 7s or the 2nd round

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If waddell gets hired in Columbus, I feel like the chances of Columbus getting in on the Marner sweepstakes would jump heavy

Even though I understand they want and need a Center, Waddell in Carolina always went big game hunting for players like this.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
+/- is so over rated. Kind of surprised that someone who has been on these sites for so long you would even use that stat.

It's a contextual stat. Certainly it's useless on a macro scale - it wouldn't make much sense to compare players on different teams. But when the guy is making near 10 mil on a good team and has by far the worst +/- on the roster, it certainly offers a glimpse into his contribution. If Stamkos was on a shut-down line deployed against the top line of other teams, with largely defensive zone starts, then perhaps you can excuse it, but obviously that's not the case.

You'll need to state your reasoning for why you personally feel that that stat is overrated, and I hope it's not as simplistic as "because there are other guys on the ice", because that is true of every statistic, regular or advanced.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

That's part of the reason, but it was also due to allocating money to the wrong support guys. We could have stuck with Kadri/Hyman at very reasonable cap hits, but instead Kyle gave similar money to the likes of Kerfoot and Mrazek. TJ Brodie was solid for us for most of his tenure, but Tanev was also a UFA that year, signed for less, and would have been a perfect fit with Morgan.

There's certainly less room for error when you have a big chunk of money tied up in a few guys, but the possibility to succeed is still there if you've got a smart guy in charge.

Off course hiring a rookie coach to lead a team ready to contend and treating goaltending as an after-thought didn't help either.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That's part of the reason, but it was also due to allocating money to the wrong support guys. We could have stuck with Kadri/Hyman at very reasonable cap hits, but instead Kyle gave similar money to the likes of Kerfoot and Mrazek. TJ Brodie was solid for us for most of his tenure, but Tanev was also a UFA that year, signed for less, and would have been a perfect fit with Morgan.

There's certainly less room for error when you have a big chunk of money tied up in a few guys, but the possibility to succeed is still there if you've got a smart guy in charge.

Off course hiring a rookie coach to lead a team ready to contend and treating goaltending as an after-thought didn't help either.
You could use that argument to keep the core 4 and have another go next year, we have a lot of money free to make some interesting changes around our big boys

The problem is its easy to say these things after the fact but I'm pretty sure most of us agreed Kadri was a ******* moron getting suspended again and that Hyman contract was risky with that much term

Also that Brodie contract was pretty bloody good for the bulk of it, UFA contracts usually have some risk towards the back end of them

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
q-Why he would not be Saros, if you want value you need to give value. If they are okay to continue with Askarov. Like they already doing it with Rinne over Vokoun. No body anticipated nashville moving jones for johansen but they did it, no body expected subban beong traded for Weber but it's happening. No body saw Luomgo moving back from Vancouver to florida bu its happened. You just don't know what Gm want so stop trying to act like you know it.

I'm not pretending to know what the GM wants at all. But if the GM states what he wants, and the player states what they want... it's pretty clear to see what they want. Maybe stop pretending someone is being traded, when both the GM and player state they are extending and staying???

2-Columbus are in a rebuild!!! The goal for columbus is to develop their young player and build around.
-Toronto in a WIN NOW mode. The goal is to get player who will help the team right now.

prospect and young player don't have the same view

3-Johnson had been draft as a pure center and and started in NHL as winger. Nylander has been draft as a RW who can play at C like easton Cowan. so don't know what you really want to say here...

1- Leafs tried nylander at C...but during the season Domi step up as C #3. When Domi switch on matthews wing, holmberg took this job and did well. When Matthews get injred, Domi step up at c. So the fact leafs tried nylander doesn't leafs really having a need at the position. Its the same thing with columbus.

2- Fantilli get injured, Jenner get injured, Roslovic injured, and kuraly get injured, Johnson had a bad 2nd season and came back couple of game in AHL to find his game back. Sure that's hurt the position.

Marner was drafted as a C, Nylander was drafted as a C, Johnson was drafted as a C.... none are NHL C's. Columbus main need, is still a C.... somehow you still don't see that, and are pretending otherwise? Spending assets, and that much cap on a winger would be foolish.

Better depth? Have you seen Edmonton's lineup? Their bottom six is worse than Toronto's.
Ah... but their expensive players, show up when it counts, and are usually the best players on the ice when they win. A step our guys somehow haven't, or aren't capable of.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad