GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I will just tap out.

I see Jones and McCabe and Timmons as 7D with ok offense. I want to be big and mean and play more simple hockey.

Today, more than ever, hockey is a game of speed, and being able to transition the puck. Of the eight biggest defensive teams to make the playoffs, seven have been eliminated. Having a team of big, mean and simple hockey, is as bad as having a bunch of small skilled D men only... you need balance. You need Rielly's, Liljegren's... guys who can move the puck out of the zone, make great first passes and hopefully provide some offense in the ozone too... but the ability to make a good pass, to get the puck out of the dzone is critical in today's game. We may have not had enough size, and "meanness" before, but having too much, is also bad... unless they can move the puck really well.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I would be okay with this too. Another guy is Brandon Saad. Berube liked him on the Blues so I wouldn't be shocked if he wants him here too. Scored 26 last year. He's still a feisty, net-front presence. His cap hit is 4 million. Probably a little less than Debrusk and Bert. I feel as though the Blues may trade him because they're rebuilding and may want a cheaper player with potential (e.g., Robinson or Lily).
Saad would be a solid pickup.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
One thing I hope that we do this offseason is bring back speed. We have become a lot bigger and heavier in recent years, (I have no problem with that), but we have become a fairly slow team on average. I think we should target some fast wingers who love to forecheck, they should fit in well with Berube's scheme.

I love targeting Seattle for a Marner trade. They have a lot that helps us both now and in the future. Acquiring Wright and another good piece would make sense to me.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Should we entertain a Marner and Petterson swap?

I know Marner has worn out his welcome here and they're souring on Petterson in Vancouver as well. He's a C so can slot right into our 2nd line C role.

Change of scenery can benefit both these players, IMO.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Today, more than ever, hockey is a game of speed, and being able to transition the puck. Of the eight biggest defensive teams to make the playoffs, seven have been eliminated. Having a team of big, mean and simple hockey, is as bad as having a bunch of small skilled D men only... you need balance. You need Rielly's, Liljegren's... guys who can move the puck out of the zone, make great first passes and hopefully provide some offense in the ozone too... but the ability to make a good pass, to get the puck out of the dzone is critical in today's game. We may have not had enough size, and "meanness" before, but having too much, is also bad... unless they can move the puck really well.
why we need one of Roy, Walker, or Carrier if not 2 this off season. i could do without a Pesce/Tanev if we got 2 of those other guys, 2 are pure puck movers, and Roy a RHD version of McCabe with more offense

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Having D men with offensive abilities would be great, but as D men they should have a clue how to play defence, niether Lilly or Mo can effectively play a defensive part of ghe game. Also, Lilly is the cowardly lion in the post season……..

Reactions: Budz

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Could definitely see Tre making some big pitches to Zadorov and Lindholm. Both players he's familiar with and that fill needs.

Overpayment, here we come?

Should we entertain a Marner and Petterson swap?

I know Marner has worn out his welcome here and they're souring on Petterson in Vancouver as well. He's a C so can slot right into our 2nd line C role.

Change of scenery can benefit both these players, IMO.

While I think you are correct on scenery, I don't think we should entertain a swap.

Not that it's not good value (we would probably add) but we aren't really trying to move Marner for another $11M forward.

Team needs a new structure, don't you think? 4 $11M+ forwards just isn't working.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Could definitely see Tre making some big pitches to Zadorov and Lindholm. Both players he's familiar with and that fill needs.

Overpayment, here we come?

While I think you are correct on scenery, I don't think we should entertain a swap.

Not that it's not good value (we would probably add) but we aren't really trying to move Marner for another $11M forward.

Team needs a new structure, don't you think? 4 $11M+ forwards just isn't working.
That would completely defeat the purpose of moving Marner, his money needs to be invested in the defence………

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That would completely defeat the purpose of moving Marner, his money needs to be invested in the defence………
Some of his money needs to go on defensive help but I don't think you want all 11M going back there

A defensively responsible center would help defensively and our lack of scoring

Reactions: Menzinger

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Some of his money needs to go on defensive help but I don't think you want all 11M going back there

A defensively responsible center would help defensively and our lack of scoring
True that, and possibly goaltending……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
There's a few things to fix when you start listing them
Yes and Marner’s money will certainly help, no more finger in the dyke player acquisitions of misfits and retreads, they need to acquire quality players and build a team that doesn’t have massive turnover year after year. That’s how you develop team chemistry………

Reactions: Kiwi

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
You sound like a little pompous here. I’m in a rink 200 days a year. I know hockey - thanks.

It’s cool to not agree with my thoughts on roster though. No problem with that.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If this could be expressed in negative percentages, it would still be too high. You might as well ask him to waive to go to Columbus, because there is about as much of a chance of that happening as there is in him waiving for Calgary.
Marner does hold a good bit of power in his final destination, but if the team actually tells him he’s not in their long term plans it would be wise of him to okay a move. Who knows what type of ice time he’ll get if he refuses to go, thus potentially affecting his next contract. Marner’s all about the money, his next contract is his big ticket he should do everything possible to ensure he gets a maximum return……….

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Marner does hold a good bit of power in his final destination, but if the team actually tells him he’s not in their long term plans it would be wise of him to okay a move. Who knows what type of ice time he’ll get if he refuses to go, thus potentially affecting his next contract. Marner’s all about the money, his next contract is his big ticket he should do everything possible to ensure he gets a maximum return……….

Whatever he decides, it's still the leafs main priority to win. They will not be benching him or sticking him on the 4th.

There's this idea that either side may act out of spite but it's in nobody's interest to do so.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Maybe we can convince the Devils to trade for Jarnkrok and Kampf since Keefe loves those guys so much. Both guys are superfluous on this team with Holmberg, Dewar, and McMann here and cheaper.

I actually think pawning Kampf off on the Devils could make sense for them, they don't really have much for a 4C and Keefe obviously likes him.

I'm ambivalent on Jarnkrok but I'd love to move Kampf.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The probability is incredibly high that John Tavares re-signs with the Leafs after next season. He will be the 3C as early as next year which sucks at the 11m ticket but the following 3-4 years at an AAV around 3-4 million will be great value.

The contract was a year too long (maybe 2 years too long) but that's what you get with most UFA big tickets.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad