GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
It's when people talk about extending him....you can't have 2 wingers pulling double digit millions if you're legitimately pursuing a Stanley Cup.
You're 100% correct of course, but it's clear that some aren't interested in that goal.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Whatever he decides, it's still the leafs main priority to win. They will not be benching him or sticking him on the 4th.

There's this idea that either side may act out of spite but it's in nobody's interest to do so.
If Berube is going to hold the players accountable then they all better stop mailing it in, and that’s not directed at only Marner, Nylander’s fly by’s and Austin’s habit of being great one game and disappearing the next won’t cut it, and don’t get me started on Rielly’s defensive miscues, I don’t think he has a clue how to play defence, they should try him on the wing because he’s pathetic in his own end…….

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
He fits the profile of a Garnet Hathaway type that Tree enjoyed in Calgary.
I agree.

Trenin - Dewar - Reaves

Thats a physical and fast line. Can rotate reaves out for mathcups but thats a line Berbube would like

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I agree.

Trenin - Dewar - Reaves

Thats a physical and fast line. Can rotate reaves out for mathcups but thats a line Berbube would like

Trenin is a right shot, we could get him on RW if need be.

I still think Dewar is more likely to be a 4th line winger for us than centre.

I think we need to find a new 4th line centre

Dewar-X-Trenin

Reaves likely is going to be a 13th forward.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

Dewar-X-Trenin

Trenin is a left shot. Not right shot.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Jarnkrok has to go… he provides zero offense in the playoffs and isn’t physical enough to make up the difference despite his solid defensive game

Hard to get a read.kn how he's currently viewed in the organization.

The coaching hire suggests they'll be moving towards heavier forecheckers, then again Tre went out of his way to trade for Jarnkrok when he was Flames GM.

I don't mind him as a player so don't care either way. Though it makes sense to move him if they're looking to shake the roster up.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
On a guy like Wright, have you even paid attention to what he did last year, or???

15 points in his last 16 AHL games, 5 points in 8 NHL games?

The perception issue on Wright, is that he was long thought of as the #1 OA player in his draft. So people compare him to that expectation, which he's never going to live up to. But, he's likely going to be a decent 2C in the NHL, and the last half of the year, his play really picked up.

We could really use a future 2C... and Seattle absolutely needs an elite winger.

You trade for Wright, and their 2024 1st... likely pick up Sam Dickinson 6'3" LD from London.

You've got two very good cost controlled assets, for a decade.. Wright steps in next year. Dickinson within a year or two. You've cleared cap room, and can address other areas of the roster.

The foundation of Dickinson’s game is his mobility. It’s rare to find a defender who moves as well as Dickinson does at 6’3. It was no surprise to see him dominate the on-ice testing at the CHL Top Prospect’s Game; he’s a spectacular athlete. Thanks to his effortless skating stride, Dickinson is an impactful player at both ends of the ice and is able to play aggressively, with and without the puck.

Sam Dickinson, D, 6-foot-3, 199 pounds
Draft Eligible: 68GP-18G-52A | Playoffs: 18GP-4G-9A

Dickinson is one of the top ranked defencemen for the 2024 NHL Draft. He's a player who doesn't look like is moving quickly, but it's due to his effortless stride. He brings a combination of size, skill, and open ice transitional pace.

Dickinson logged a ton of ice time for the London Knights in regular season play and the playoffs. He's deployed in all situations. Despite his stature he isn't overly physical. He's more of a "bumper" than a "punisher". He can be elusive walking the offensive blue line and directing pucks on net or joining the rush as an extra layer.

NHL Projection: Top pairing defenceman
I agree with your assessment of Wright, but I don't think you get both assets for Marner pre-extention. That's a lot of risk for Seattle, who has very little in terms of high-end trade capital.

Odds are that any Marner deal likely happens after July 1st when his bonus gets paid and there's an opportunity to talk extension.

I think the Leafs would be wise to take Andre Burakovsky's contract. It'd give the Kraken some flexibility to for a Marner extension, but it'd also sweeten the deal a tad, while also giving the Leafs a decent scoring winger at a reasonable $5.5m cap hit.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Whatever he decides, it's still the leafs main priority to win. They will not be benching him or sticking him on the 4th.

There's this idea that either side may act out of spite but it's in nobody's interest to do so.

There’s a middle ground where he gets normal top line winger usage but isn’t the main component of our strategy at every strength. I can’t see him being the primary puck carrier in Berube’s forecheck heavy system, that’s a lot of secondary assists he loses without hurting the team just to punish him out of spite. Same with stopping the PP drop pass and moving him off the point, it’s not a spite thing it’s a “this hasn’t worked in 5 years” thing. I don’t think his camp wants him in a situation where he’s looking at 80-some points going into UFA.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Bertuzzi Matthews Stamkos
Domi Tavares Nylander
Knies Holmberg Debrusk
McMann Kampf Reaves
Dewar

McCabe Andersson
Reilly Lybushkin
Benoit Liljegren
Edmunson

Markstrom
Woll

In: Andersson Markstrom
Out: Jarnkrok Marner Robertson

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I agree with your assessment of Wright, but I don't think you get both assets for Marner pre-extention. That's a lot of risk for Seattle, who has very little in terms of high-end trade capital.

Odds are that any Marner deal likely happens after July 1st when his bonus gets paid and there's an opportunity to talk extension.

I think the Leafs would be wise to take Andre Burakovsky's contract. It'd give the Kraken some flexibility to for a Marner extension, but it'd also sweeten the deal a tad, while also giving the Leafs a decent scoring winger at a reasonable $5.5m cap hit.
I believe a deal will happen before July 1st... too many teams will have their rosters set after. You'd be limiting your trade options even further beyond the waiving of the NMC. It's easy enough to draft up a new contract agreement, in advance of July 1st, and then announce the deal right away... seems to happen often enough.

Reactions: Duffman955

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
On a guy like Wright, have you even paid attention to what he did last year, or???

15 points in his last 16 AHL games, 5 points in 8 NHL games?

The perception issue on Wright, is that he was long thought of as the #1 OA player in his draft. So people compare him to that expectation, which he's never going to live up to. But, he's likely going to be a decent 2C in the NHL, and the last half of the year, his play really picked up.

We could really use a future 2C... and Seattle absolutely needs an elite winger.

You trade for Wright, and their 2024 1st... likely pick up Sam Dickinson 6'3" LD from London.

You've got two very good cost controlled assets, for a decade.. Wright steps in next year. Dickinson within a year or two. You've cleared cap room, and can address other areas of the roster.

The foundation of Dickinson’s game is his mobility. It’s rare to find a defender who moves as well as Dickinson does at 6’3. It was no surprise to see him dominate the on-ice testing at the CHL Top Prospect’s Game; he’s a spectacular athlete. Thanks to his effortless skating stride, Dickinson is an impactful player at both ends of the ice and is able to play aggressively, with and without the puck.

Sam Dickinson, D, 6-foot-3, 199 pounds
Draft Eligible: 68GP-18G-52A | Playoffs: 18GP-4G-9A

Dickinson is one of the top ranked defencemen for the 2024 NHL Draft. He's a player who doesn't look like is moving quickly, but it's due to his effortless stride. He brings a combination of size, skill, and open ice transitional pace.

Dickinson logged a ton of ice time for the London Knights in regular season play and the playoffs. He's deployed in all situations. Despite his stature he isn't overly physical. He's more of a "bumper" than a "punisher". He can be elusive walking the offensive blue line and directing pucks on net or joining the rush as an extra layer.

NHL Projection: Top pairing defenceman

Maybe they won't want to trade Wright... that's possible... but then their roster was ok to begin with, and trading Wright and a pick doesn't affect their roster at all... no subtractions, just additions. Trading Oleksiak, Larsson, etc... some of the other names listed... well that leaves a hole in their roster, and this doesn't.... of course, it takes away futures for sure... but for a team that would like to make an impact now, in a new city.... this is definitely a help now move, with no negatives to the roster.

Here is a Seattle fans blog, specifically talking/debating about trading for Marner, Wright and the 1st....

toronto is not in a rebuild, they are in win now mode so they WILL NOT trade marner for and taking risk with pick and prospect and player who will maybe help in 3-4-5 year.

If marner being trade, the main piece will be an NHL player no doubt about it. No every trade who doesn't make leafs better after the trade making absolutly no sens at all for Treliving because the reason why he had been hire is to win NOW the same way Berube had been hire to win in playoff NOW.

So every offer who doesn't in that way, you can already delete all of them. Maybe 3 way deal...

please dont tell me you will get 11 M for free agency, overpaying player in free agency will not solve leafs problem and make this team better

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I listened to him on Kyper and Bourne. He sure seems to think highly of Marner.

Whatever you want to say about Marner, he's still an elite level winger. He'd be crazy to dismiss Marner as anything but a great player and any coach would rather have him than not. Berube saw first hand how hard it is to not only win once, but to consistently win and stay at the top.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
For those who want Markstrom.... what makes you believe he is going to rebound. He hasn't been great for a few seasons now... his save percentage over the past two years combined, is lower than Samsonov, and he nearly blew up Calgary's season on his own the year before.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Dewar-X-Trenin

Trenin is fine, but he'll likely get overpaid as a UFA.

McMann-Holmberg-Dewar/Reaves should probably be our 4th line. I think it's important McMann starts there, since I would have Cowan starting on the 3rd line with Tavares and Jarnkrok. If Cowan isn't ready, McMann goes up.

The only real holes in our forward lineup are 2nd line center and a top-6 winger. I think Domi is an automatic.

Domi - Matthews - ____*____
Knies - ____*____ -Nylander
Cowan - Tavares - Jarnkrok
McMann - Holmberg - Dewar
Reaves

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Whatever you want to say about Marner, he's still an elite level winger. He'd be crazy to dismiss Marner as anything but a great player and any coach would rather have him than not. Berube saw first hand how hard it is to not only win once, but to consistently win and stay at the top.
100 percent.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I believe a deal will happen before July 1st... too many teams will have their rosters set after. You'd be limiting your trade options even further beyond the waiving of the NMC. It's easy enough to draft up a new contract agreement, in advance of July 1st, and then announce the deal right away... seems to happen often enough.
Just looking at Seattle, they've got $20m+ of cap flexibility going into this offseason with only Beniers and Tolvanen requiring significant extensions. They've also got a fairly deep roster signed as is.

If you're looking specifically at that team, there's a good chance they'll be a trade option after the FA period starts.

I just don't see the logic of dealing him prior to the date you can legally talk extension. You'd be handicapping your GM's ability to maximize the return of that premium asset.

I don't think there are many examples of that happening in the NHL. Even the PLD trade that occurred prior to that period returned no premium assets. The two significant pieces were contracts that had to be moved to facilitate that PLD extension.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Could definitely see Tre making some big pitches to Zadorov and Lindholm. Both players he's familiar with and that fill needs.

Overpayment, here we come?

While I think you are correct on scenery, I don't think we should entertain a swap.

Not that it's not good value (we would probably add) but we aren't really trying to move Marner for another $11M forward.

Team needs a new structure, don't you think? 4 $11M+ forwards just isn't working.
tbf getting two number 1c's is invaluable. With JT gone the season after the top heaviness should sort itself out there

Reactions: Kurtz

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
For those who want Markstrom.... what makes you believe he is going to rebound. He hasn't been great for a few seasons now... his save percentage over the past two years combined, is lower than Samsonov, and he nearly blew up Calgary's season on his own the year before.
His GSAx was very good this year (8th in NHL) and very good in 21-22 (9th). 22-23 appears to be the outlier.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
toronto is not in a rebuild, they are in win now mode so they WILL NOT trade marner for and taking risk with pick and prospect and player who will maybe help in 3-4-5 year.

If marner being trade, the main piece will be an NHL player no doubt about it. No every trade who doesn't make leafs better after the trade making absolutly no sens at all for Treliving because the reason why he had been hire is to win NOW the same way Berube had been hire to win in playoff NOW.

So every offer who doesn't in that way, you can already delete all of them. Maybe 3 way deal...

please dont tell me you will get 11 M for free agency, overpaying player in free agency will not solve leafs problem and make this team better

Wright will play in the NHL next year, and contribute fairly well. Dickinson will be in the NHL within two years. Suggesting 5 years, on high draft picks is ridiculous.

Wright would be able to take over 2C, at the end of Tavares contract, (and you're the guy who thinks Tavares need replacing ASAP) avoiding the need to pick up someone like Lindholm, and paying him 7-8mil... allowing Treliving to allocate that money to the D. Such a trade doesn't suggest a rebuild, it suggests trading for assets that you can control for a decade, and maximize your long-term return, instead of trading for someone who's contract expires in a year or two.

I'm sorry, I'll take a potential 2C, and top pairing D potential, that we would have control of for a decade, any and every day of the week. The reality is... teams aren't trading their Werenski's, or Saros and creating giant holes in their lineup either. Teams would be acquiring Marner to be better now too. The reality is, you'd likely get a better return with futures included.

You'd love my Utah idea too... Crouse, McBain and their 1st... :laugh:

See, I'm tired of giving away assets for shorter term bandaids... I'd rather have very long-term solutions... When it comes down to it, the number of UFA's we need to sign, is pretty small... and the number of D available this year, is beyond the norm. Would we have to overpay some... sure. But we'd need to overpay to get a new 2C at some point soon anyway.... We won't avoid paying to fill one of the holes, with a UFA overpay... that's the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad