GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

question for the group: in your opinion is McDavid more likely to leave Edmonton for Toronto if the Oilers win a Cup or if they don't?

I don't know.

I can argue it either way and it doesn't really matter because it would come down to McDavid.

Is he pissed they didn't get over the finish line and decides to leave?

Do they win a cup and he's content, he stays on for his career?

Reactions: supermann_98

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wonder if Vegas would have any interest in something around Jarnkrok for Whitecloud.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

question for the group: in your opinion is McDavid more likely to leave Edmonton for Toronto if the Oilers win a Cup or if they don't?
I'm leaning towards this possibility being more likely if Edmonton doesn't win. Edmonton being better than Toronto at that time (or vice versa) might be enough to sway him into staying (or leaving) too though in the absence of a Cup. Think Stamkos vs Tavares here.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

If the team is successful, and wins cups, you'd think he'd want to stay, and continue with that success... especially if the Leafs aren't winning. He's going to get paid wherever he plays, so it probably comes down to either a preference where to play, or where he thinks he has the best chance to win a cup... It might be hereasay, but his best chance right now is clearly Edmonton. I think it's a pretty big long shot to expect him to sign with the Leafs in the future.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
If the team is successful, and wins cups, you'd think he'd want to stay, and continue with that success... especially if the Leafs aren't winning. He's going to get paid wherever he plays, so it probably comes down to either a preference where to play, or where he thinks he has the best chance to win a cup... It might be hereasay, but his best chance right now is clearly Edmonton. I think it's a pretty big long shot to expect him to sign with the Leafs in the future.

Or maybe he would see his mission complete in Edmonton, and then take on the new mission of a cup in Toronto. Seek a greater challenge, so to speak.

Or more likely he will just commit long term to Edmonton because that's what most stars do. Except JT and Auston I guess.

Stamkos can go f*** himself.

Guy was -21 on a good TB team this year, I'm not even sure how that's possible. PP merchant.

Well we do need PP help....

Reactions: aingefan

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
think of it this way ...winning a Cup in Edmonton is good, but, winning a Cup for the Leafs would be his career defining Epic moment.

Or maybe he would see his mission complete in Edmonton, and then take on the new mission of a cup in Toronto. Seek a greater challenge, so to speak.

Or more likely he will just commit long term to Edmonton because that's what most stars do. Except JT and Auston I guess.

Well we do need PP help....
maybe you are too young to remember Pronger, or Messier or Gretzky who were at least traded out for $$ reasons.

Reactions: Rocker13

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Saros is going to be 30 when his next contract begins. There's so much risk there, I don't see how any decent GM would trade Marner with him as a centrepiece.
What people haven't understood yet is Toronto window is only open for another 6-8 years, You're getting a elite goalie those 6-8 years with Saros (New flash, this core has yet to had a quality starter year in and year out).

When Nylander 8 year contract is done he will be 36.
Matthews 4 year contract he will 31 (assuming he resigns again for 6 years will bring him to 37).
Rielly will be 36 when his deal ends.

I don't exactly love a Marner for Saros, but if you can add another roster player and a 1st round draft pick it will help this team contend.

Reactions: CapspaceKiller

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Getting completely rolled in a trade doesn't exactly do us any favors either

A 27 year old Marner who's a significantly better player than PLD should be worth at least as much as he was traded for, if not more

I'd rather he walks after next season than we Kadri his trade and end up empty handed anyway
Not picking on you by constantly quoting your post, but again no matter what trade happens, Toronto is always going to lose this deal when trading Marner.

You're losing the best player in the deal every time, Toronto isn't getting someone that's better then him back. You're getting multiple players or picks and prospects.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Ok... I hear you. But are you prepared to let this 100 point RW who had Selke votes walk away next year and get absolutely nothing?
If you screw up this trade Kadri style what have you lost just getting the extra year instead?

Marner is 27, a 100 point player who has Selke votes, now tell me why I should expect less back for him than PLD got back

all good goalies are a headcase ...I'd be worried when they arent
The problem is this headcase isn't very good either

Reactions: TMLAM34

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
What people haven't understood yet is Toronto window is only open for another 6-8 years, You're getting a elite goalie those 6-8 years with Saros (New flash, this core has yet to had a quality starter year in and year out).

When Nylander 8 year contract is done he will be 36.
Matthews 4 year contract he will 31 (assuming he resigns again for 6 years will bring him to 37).
Rielly will be 36 when his deal ends.

I don't exactly love a Marner for Saros, but if you can add another roster player and a 1st round draft pick it will help this team contend.

Like people have already pointed out, there are concerns with how Saros will age because he is not the typical size for a goalie.

Feel free to believe that he'll be giving you elite starts for $8-9M a season when he's 36. I am not happy with the team taking that risk.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not picking on you by constantly quoting your post, but again no matter what trade happens, Toronto is always going to lose this deal when trading Marner.

You're losing the best player in the deal every time, Toronto isn't getting someone that's better then him back. You're getting multiple players or picks and prospects.

That's all I heard before PLD was traded to, Winnipeg is going to lose that deal, they have the best player

They didn't, they were able to make an extremely good trade, we should be able to also if we get the correct players back

Here's the thing, you get the correct players and prospects you don't come out a loser, you can still come out strong in the long term

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That's all I heard before PLD was traded to, Winnipeg is going to lose that deal, they have the best player

They didn't, they were able to make an extremely good trade, we should be able to also if we get the correct players back

Here's the thing, you get the correct players and prospects you don't come out a loser, you can still come out strong in the long term

I mean if we got a good defenseman and winger/centre and they produce say 90 points and they're the same or less on the cap....I still think that's good.

One thing I never liked about the top heavy structure was it's a house of cards that can come crashing down. Montreal series was a prime example with JT going down, 11M out of your 82M cap that's around 13.4% of your cap just sitting on the sidelines being useless.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
If you screw up this trade Kadri style what have you lost just getting the extra year instead?

Marner is 27, a 100 point player who has Selke votes, now tell me why I should expect less back for him than PLD got back

The problem is this headcase isn't very good either
he's a career .908 and averages about 50 starts a season. 'isn't very good' would not be accurate.

Markstrom is a career .909 for example, but is 34 vs 30, and I think both are too expensive for us, even though either would be an upgrade.

Saros I want NO part of even though he is 30 and has a career .917 somehow even after a .900 and .906 the past 2 seasons, but, he'll always be 5'11" and players are picking top corners over 6'4" goalies all the time these days, so, it will only get worse for Saros as shooters get better.

What Binnington has that neither the other 2 do however is a Cup ring, where he led the team and was the difference maker in their run ...since then he had 2 bad playoffs, then posted a .949

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Like people have already pointed out, there are concerns with how Saros will age because he is not the typical size for a goalie.

Feel free to believe that he'll be giving you elite starts for $8-9M a season when he's 36. I am not happy with the team taking that risk.
He might not give you elite starts at 36 years old, but those previous 6 years he will (and like I said, when Saros turns 36 Toronto will be at the end of contention). I also do not think he commands 8-9$ on his next contract.

He's a tier below the elite goaltending.

A+: Vasy/Hellebuck/Ottenger/Shenstykn~/Swayman
B+: Saros/Demko/Markstrome/Ullmark/Sorokin/

If Nashvile offers something like Saros + 1st + Zachary L'Heureux for Marner it would be interesting.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Please do not trade Marner for Saros, unless the ++ is significant.

Players of interest:

Evangelista
Sissons
Tomasino
Fabbro
McCarron
Novak
L'Heureux
Glass

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
I

I disagree. It's not about who's getting the best player. It's about us gaining cap space. While we most certainly will probably have to settle for some slightly less talented player(s) and some picks that may or may not pan out, those players we do get (if we've done our due diligence) should become important pieces of the line up...at less money combined than Marner. Which then leaves us breathing room to pursue a top tier FA D, especially if we can do something with JT's contract at the same time. So while on the surface the deal may appear to be a loser, the cap space we gain makes it worthwhile in the long run. All things considered, of course. Sadly, I fear this team will find a way to screw it up like they usually do. I remain hopeful...after all, I'm a Leaf fan.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I mean if we got a good defenseman and winger/centre and they produce say 90 points and they're the same or less on the cap....I still think that's good.

One thing I never liked about the top heavy structure was it's a house of cards that can come crashing down. Montreal series was a prime example with JT going down, 11M out of your 82M cap that's around 13.4% of your cap just sitting on the sidelines being useless.

Even if you get a top 4D and a 50 point 2nd line winger your doing OK, it's not a homerun but if those guys are young and cost controlled you still probably have 7M to use on other things

That's a lot of holes you've just filled

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
he's a career .908 and averages about 50 starts a season. 'isn't very good' would not be accurate.

Markstrom is a career .909 for example, but is 34 vs 30, and I think both are too expensive for us, even though either would be an upgrade.

Saros I want NO part of even though he is 30 and has a career .917 somehow even after a .900 and .906 the past 2 seasons, but, he'll always be 5'11" and players are picking top corners over 6'4" goalies all the time these days, so, it will only get worse for Saros as shooters get better.

What Binnington has that neither the other 2 do however is a Cup ring, where he led the team and was the difference maker in their run ...since then he had 2 bad playoffs, then posted a .949

The problem with Binnington is we already know he's a bit excitable and he's wildly inconsistent, he lead that cup run and dominated but seems to go on extremely long periods of bad to

I hate that Rollercoaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad