Golf: 124th U.S Open - Pinehurst No.2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Bryson DeC is not playing that well but has holed a bunch of long putts to post a very good score.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
The ball is absolutely flying at Pinehurst in this heat…Aberg is putting a clinic off the tee

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Course keeps playing harder. Don't think we have to worry too much about half the field finishing with sub 0 scores.

Loving Åberg's game. Hoping he can keep it up.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Finau might've just killed his tournament by taking putter from in front of the 13th green. It was such a low percentage play that I don't understand, if he was concerned about going for the flag with a wedge, why he didn't just pitch it onto the fat part of the green and two-putt for bogey.

Instead, the putt went over the green, the bunker shot went back to where he originally was... and then he reversed course by pitching it onto fat part of the green and two-putted for a triple bogey.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Bryson's approaches on 13, 14, and 17 were biblical. Stuff that I didn't know was possible on this golf course.

It's a shame that we didn't get one of Rory or No-Hat Pat in the final grouping, and instead we get US Open Sunday-fodder Matthieu Pavon. I can't imagine Bryson letting this one go, but I've been dead wrong about basically every prediction this week, so maybe the Frenchman pulls off the upset...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bryson gets through 18 with par and a 3-shot lead overnight.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wasn’t this supposed to be carnage? I take it the US Open will never be that again because they don’t want the players to mean X about them.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Wasn’t this supposed to be carnage? I take it the US Open will never be that again because they don’t want the players to mean X about them.
I don't think Pinehurst is the carnage course, and I don't think that was the expectation either. Eight guys under par sounds about right.

Oakmont and especially Shinnecock will bring the pain over the next two years. Looking at future venues... I've enjoyed Pinehurst this week but I'm not sold that we need to come back every 5 or 6 years. The same applies doubly to Pebble.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think Pinehurst is the carnage course, and I don't think that was the expectation either. Eight guys under par sounds about right.

Oakmont and especially Shinnecock will bring the pain over the next two years. Looking at future venues... I've enjoyed Pinehurst this week but I'm not sold that we need to come back every 5 or 6 years. The same applies doubly to Pebble.
Carnage might be the wrong word, but 1999 was E that won and 2005 was -1 that won. This won't be that. It won't be a good look I don't think if any higher than -5 wins. You get regular tour venues where -8 or -9 wins.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm picking a Bryson win. I think it could end up close, but I think he's playing the best golf of anyone and I don't suspect he'll fold under pressure or anything like that. He was very close to winning the PGA last month. I think he's due.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Carnage might be the wrong word, but 1999 was E that won and 2005 was -1 that won. This won't be that. It won't be a good look I don't think if any higher than -5 wins. You get regular tour venues where -8 or -9 wins.
I'm not sure. What do we think the over/under is on guys who finish 72 holes here under par? We've only got 8 right now. I'd be surprised if it's any more than 5 by day's end. And this is all before I'd even take into account the #eyetest.

The Memorial last week was about as tough as it realistically gets for an average Tour stop, and we had 11 guys finish below par, from a limited field of 75.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad