Golf: 124th U.S Open - Pinehurst No.2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I don’t know that he can win the Masters now.

If his body holds up, Rory has 9-10 years to pick up more Majors.
Phil won the PGA at 50+ years old.
Ray Floyd, Lee Trevino, Jack, etc. They all won majors over the age of 40.

Reactions: DaveG

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If his body holds up, Rory has 9-10 years to pick up more Majors.
Phil won the PGA at 50+ years old.
Ray Floyd, Lee Trevino, Jack, etc. They all won majors over the age of 40.
His body will hold up but his mental state cannot. We know this now. He may have had it before, but he doesn’t now. The 4 major he won may as well never happened. When the lights are brightest, he’s going to fall apart. A shame, really.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
That post said 2024 majors. Koepka hasn’t been competitive in any of them.

Anyway, that was gutting to watch. As a Rory fan, that was as painful as watching my Niners lose the SB.

The reference point of the tweet that I was disagreeing with was actually this: "Unlike many of his peers, the move to LIV *worked* for him. He’s happier, healthier."

Brooks Koepka moved to LIV in 2022 and yet won the Masters in 2023. He finished this 2024 US open ahead of the likes of Scheffler, Theegala and Bradley (amongst many other notable names). Even Cameron Smith finished tied with those 3 after stumbling in the final round some. So that tweet isn't very accurate (to my ongoing surprise). Which was my point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The reference point of the tweet that I was disagreeing with was actually this: "Unlike many of his peers, the move to LIV *worked* for him. He’s happier, healthier."

Brooks Koepka moved to LIV in 2022 and yet won the Masters in 2023. He finished this 2024 US open ahead of the likes of Scheffler, Theegala and Bradley (amongst many other notable names). Even Cameron Smith finished tied with those 3 after stumbling in the final round some. So that tweet isn't very accurate (to my ongoing surprise). Which was my point.

Ahh, gotcha. I would probably still agree with that statement, as I think Koepka is the only other guy it’s benefitted. Cam’s been a shell of himself since he left and hasn’t really threatened to win any majors despite a couple of high finishes. He also hasn’t been great on LIV this year.

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Ahh, gotcha. I would probably still agree with that statement, as I think Koepka is the only other guy it’s benefitted. Cam’s been a shell of himself since he left and hasn’t really threatened to win any majors despite a couple of high finishes. He also hasn’t been great on LIV this year.

To me, DeChambeau is a big part of the collective that went to LIV, so I'm more inclined to believe that the drop-off is far less than anticipated (at least by me and what I think most watching thought might happen). As I mentioned Phil Mickelson is Champions tour age now and it's a little early to judge where Jon Rahm is at as he went over in Dec last year. Going further, even guys like Garcia represented themselves well this weekend. So as a PGA tour guy first myself, I am surprised that as far as I can tell going over to LIV hasn't hurt those that jumped ship all that much. And they've been paid in Brinks trucks to do so. I wouldn't be surprised if a few "never woulds" are considering it in the recesses of their minds.

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
His body will hold up but his mental state cannot. We know this now. He may have had it before, but he doesn’t now. The 4 major he won may as well never happened. When the lights are brightest, he’s going to fall apart. A shame, really.
This is a bit much... Dustin Johnson suffered a very similar fate at Chambers Bay in 2015 and then came right back to win the US Open the very next year, at the same track they're playing in 2025. And Rory himself managed to come back quite nicely immediately after his 2011 Masters collapse.

I mean, Sergio of all people managed to figure it out eventually. Rory's too good not to. I'm more bullish on his major chances now than I was 3 or 4 years ago when he wasn't even putting himself in contention to win.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is a bit much... Dustin Johnson suffered a very similar fate at Chambers Bay in 2015 and then came right back to win the US Open the very next year, at the same track they're playing in 2025. And Rory himself managed to come back quite nicely immediately after his 2011 Masters collapse.

I mean, Sergio of all people managed to figure it out eventually. Rory's too good not to. I'm more bullish on his major chances now than I was 3 or 4 years ago when he wasn't even putting himself in contention to win.
Sergio still only won one, that was far below what was expected. The one he won, his career was essentially written off.

But the book on Rory now won’t be how many he won, it’s how many he should have won. Which could be said about a lot of guys, but Rory largely had Tiger out of the way unlike guys like Sergio and Phil.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Sergio still only won one, that was far below what was expected. The one he won, his career was essentially written off.

But the book on Rory now won’t be how many he won, it’s how many he should have won. Which could be said about a lot of guys, but Rory largely had Tiger out of the way unlike guys like Sergio and Phil.
Sort of like his buddy Greg Norman.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

Add Mickelson to that list. Winged Foot was one of the biggest chokes of all time and he ended up winning two more majors after that.

Edit: three majors, thank you Filthy Dangles

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m sorry, but this is such a stupid discussion. All the great golfers lost a major they should’ve won. Arnold Palmer at age 36 (Rory is 35) lost a 7 shot lead on the final nine of this tournament at Olympic to Billy Casper, and then got waxed in a playoff the next day.

Rory isn’t doomed because he missed a few putts at crunch time to lose himself a tournament.

The bigger issue for him is that you aren’t going to give yourself infinite amounts of chances. Each one that goes by, especially the ones you are right there, that you don’t win the pressure builds up more and more. You aren’t going to get another 30 good chances in contention. Arnold Palmer never won another major after that loss, and not because he kept collapsing after that point. Getting into the position where you control the destiny of a major with a few holes left is such a rare position to be in.

Rory will win a lot more golf tournaments, but there are four majors a year and he’s getting up there in age. The chips will probably fall his way at some point soon, but the bigger threat to him not winning one is likely that he won’t ever be as close as he was again than he’d miss two putts inside four feet with three holes left again.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Phil was always directly compared to Arnold at any rate. And a highly popular guy. But dispute what is acknowledged as a sterling resume, the conversation around him is as much, if not more, what he didn’t do and how often he didn’t come through or just blew it.

Rory is the #1 guy in the sport, though.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I think it is hyperbole to say he is doomed and will never get another one, but this along with LACC last year and St. Andrews a few years ago are 3 big time missed opportunities.

If he keeps giving himself shots, the chips should fall his way one of these times, but he's not getting younger and there are only 4 majors a year.

Even with the two missed putts, if he even gets a half decent roll into the bunker from the green on 5th hole instead of into the shit he at least makes par and is in a playoff. Bryson was also getting up and down from everywhere all day, on 8 that was insane. 18 was insane. It easily could have still fell Rory's way.

Was so hard to watch though.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Ahh yes, good call. Forgot he won an Open as well.
My favourite Phil major win of all time, he just was a dog that tournament. Did not take his eyes off the prize.

That came on the heels of Merion which for me, and maybe some wouldn't agree, was even more of a devastating loss than Winged Foot as far as the US Opens. Phil never contented at a US Open after that, it truly was his last shot and why it was so painful as a fan of his.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
My favourite Phil major win of all time, he just was a dog that tournament. Did not take his eyes off the prize.

That came on the heels of Merion which for me, and maybe some wouldn't agree, was even more of a devastating loss than Winged Foot as far as the US Opens. Phil never contented at a US Open after that, it truly was his last shot and why it was so painful as a fan of his.

Kiawah will go down as one of the craziest major wins in history. It was even more impressive than Tiger’s Masters win IMO.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Kiawah will go down as one of the craziest major wins in history. It was even more impressive than Tiger’s Masters win IMO.

Very different scenarios. Tiger obviously the GOAT, and his game was there, won the Tour Championship a few months prior, was the #1 iron/approach player around that time, he was right there. You saw him triumph and get that final Major victory and 5th green jacket.

Phils was way more random and out of nowhere and not nearly as pressure packed or on the stage Tiger's was...hadn't won in a couple years, didn't even contend in a PGA Tour event that year (think his highest finish was like T21st)...and then goes on to win the PGA at nearly 51 years old.

As to who's was more "impressive" is up for interpretation I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad