GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
My ideal trade package would be with Seattle for Wright + Larsson + Gourde. We'd probably have to add though, which I'd be fine with doing.

Larsson gives us a cheap top-4 right defenseman, which allows us to focus money on our other needs this offseason (including another defenseman).

Wright gives us a young two-way center to take over for Tavares next offseason.

Gourde gives us a two-way middle six center who is a playoff performer.

I really like Seattle as a target but I’m thinking more Wright + Borgen + pick(s)

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Trading for Markstrom would be an even worse DISASTER than trading for Saros. If we're going to trade a major player like Marner at least do it for good players back that can improve our defense or scoring and/or picks and prospects. I'd still rather go with Woll, Hildeby and a vet backup than trade for any goalie but that's just me.
I don't think people are saying to trade Marner for Markstrom. lol

They're saying it will be cheaper to trade for Markstrom (who only has 1 year left) than for Saros, and won't require us to move Marner for a goalie.

I really like Seattle as a target but I’m thinking more Wright + Borgen + pick(s)
Why Borgen over Larsson though? Larsson is the better player, albeit older and going into UFA. I'm with you on the draft picks though. I desperately want at least one 2nd rounder from this draft.

Reactions: Brobust

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Dreger on Overdrive says he's heard the leafs are looking to make a big upgrade in net. Lebrun hints at the same thing in his article (mentions Markstrom).

I wonder if we can somehow swing a three way deal with Marner+Liljergen involved that would swing us a D and G.

Weegar/Andersson + Markstrom package out of Calgary would be ideal.
Parayko + Binnington even better
Interesting, on the Leaf report podcast released today, Mirtle states the opposite, that he's heard leafs are going to find a veteran 1b cheap backup goalie.

I mean at this point I just figured its people throwing shit against the wall and hopes it sticks.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I would target Oleksiak instead of Larsson if they can't come to terms on a short term contract extension with Larsson. I don't want to be left with just Wright in a years time from a Marner trade.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Interesting, on the Leaf report podcast released today, Mirtle states the opposite, that he's heard leafs are going to find a veteran 1b cheap backup goalie.

I mean at this point I just figured its people throwing shit against the wall and hopes it sticks.
To be fair, in terms of credibility Dreger & Lebrun > Mirtle.

I would much rather target defence and go with a veteran 1B.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I would target Oleksiak instead of Larsson if they can't come to terms on a short term contract extension with Larsson. I don't want to be left with just Wright in a years time from a Marner trade.
Borgen’s younger and cheaper than either of those guys………

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
The problem with Binnington is we already know he's a bit excitable and he's wildly inconsistent, he lead that cup run and dominated but seems to go on extremely long periods of bad to

I hate that Rollercoaster
2 years ago Florida was considering a buyout for Bobrovski and was considered the worst cap hit in the league ...goalies are nutty

Reactions: Metroid and Kiwi

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Also goalies also don't really bring back.much in trades. I don't see why the Leafs of all teams should break that trend

Saros is intriguing player to say the least, but term of a deal aside (and he's obviously going to want 7-8 years).is he's going to want huge dollars too, which stops the team from building depth
we have a history of it, with Bernier, Toskala, then Anderson ...even Murray was an overpayment

Reactions: Al14

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He doesn't seem to play as much per game as those guys by a considerable enough margin to assume that he isn't trusted to the extent they are. They give the Leafs a better chance to win a cup then Borgen.
True that, but his game is still on the upside as opposed to the downside like the other two…….

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd go after Yakemchuk before Dickinson ...maybe because I live in London and saw a lot of him

I probably saw like 10 London games so not nearly as much as you but I seriously got left shot Pietrangelo vibes with Dickinson.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
2 years ago Florida was considering a buyout for Bobrovski and was considered the worst cap hit in the league ...goalies are nutty
And knight was the air apparent pushing him out ….id kick the tires on him if you could get him for cheap . He’s got pedigree and had a good run . Campbell is probably his floor

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
And knight was the air apparent pushing him out ….id kick the tires on him if you could get him for cheap . He’s got pedigree and had a good run . Campbell is probably his floor
he's a 4.5 cap hit and its Florida... doubt they want to deal him to us, but, its a big cap hit as a backup and they have Reinhart and Montour to resign (just under 20 mil and only 14 signed players and need 6 F and 3 D)

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think people are saying to trade Marner for Markstrom. lol

They're saying it will be cheaper to trade for Markstrom (who only has 1 year left) than for Saros, and won't require us to move Marner for a goalie.
Markstrom has 2 years left on his current contract. Don't know why we'd want him when he's not even all that good.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Your talking about the elite of the elite of recent goaltending, betting big money and term on someone like Saros until he's 38 or 39 is a mugs game

New York and Dallas have young guys in goal and so was Vasi when Tampa won cups, also Bob isn't a great example, his contract blows and the only thing that saves it is 2 months in the playoffs

That's extremely unlikely to happen
Bob is a vezina finalist this year. His first 2.5 seasons sucked but sincw then hes been from good to elite

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wouldn’t be too upset with Markstrom but he’s definitely not my top choice. Very streaky from year to year lately, usually chokes in the playoffs and he’ll probably cost more than he should given it would be a deal between Toronto and Calgary.

I understand people’s frustration with a potential Marner for Saros deal but Nashville does have a couple other really solid pieces they can attach to Saros given no goalie has been traded for that much. Molendyk and L’Heureux are two I’d definitely be interested in as well.

Another name I mentioned the other day that would be interesting would be Knight. Florida could really use his 4.5 million towards re-signing a couple of their key players and from what it sounds like they’d love to keep Stolarz around.

Reactions: ToneDog

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Freddy was our best #1 but he had warts. Dubas' goalies all self imploded.
Dubas sucked at it but why are we letting Lou off the hook. we apparently hate playoff mental midgets but we can call freddy "our best #1 but he had warts." lol thats putting it lightly. he shrank when the lights got brightest he f***ing sucked and cost us runs early on in this cores' tenure

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad