GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Welcome to trying a trade a player with a full NMC, UFA in a years time and getting dumped on pretty heavily through the fanbase and through the hockey world in general. Marner is great though and should have a ton of value... should... To me he should be a Maple Leaf next year really but we're basically throwing away the player because it's not working.
Truthfully I think Toronto SHOULD be keeping him and extending Marner. It's a lot easier to stomach 3 players making 36.75m and having 60m to work with to build the rest of the roster. If John Tavares wasn't making 11m and preforming poorly and we only had the 3 players at the caphit above, it doesn't look that bleak.

I think it's going to be very short sited when/if Marner gets moved because they just want to get rid of him because it's not working. This 2024/2025 year should be status quo year, make the playoffs see what happens and then you can have 3 really good players and money to actually work with when JT is off the books.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I’d pass on guys like Wright and Hayton whose development has either stalled or been very uneven in favour of guys who have had an upward development trajectory like Firkus or Geekie. No sense paying extra for sunk cost fallacy.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Truthfully I think Toronto SHOULD be keeping him and extending Marner. It's a lot easier to stomach 3 players making 36.75m and having 60m to work with to build the rest of the roster. If John Tavares wasn't making 11m and preforming poorly and we only had the 3 players at the caphit above, it doesn't look that bleak.

I think it's going to be very short sited when/if Marner gets moved because they just want to get rid of him because it's not working. This 2024/2025 year should be status quo year, make the playoffs see what happens and then you can have 3 really good players and money to actually work with when JT is off the books.
It's not just the combined cap hit of the core 4 players though. If you look at Marner's situation in a vacuum, he is still not worth what he'll be asking for on a contract extension, especially when you factor in his playoff performance.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Another name I mentioned the other day that would be interesting would be Knight. Florida could really use his 4.5 million towards re-signing a couple of their key players and from what it sounds like they’d love to keep Stolarz around.
I like this idea. Florida is in desperate need for cap space and may have to part ways with Knight. They have a Stanley Cup caliber team right now with Stolarz and Babrovsky so they may be more open to trading Knight than they were a few years ago.

Knight is signed for 2 more years. This is also good as it gives us a better opportunity to see if there's any hope for Woll and his injury-prone body and also gives us time to develop Hildeby as a back-up.\

Woll and Knight are a good tandem.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
It might be an unfair expectation but I hope Treliving and gang are aggressive and obviously make better decisions this off-season than the last. There's a lot of important decisions and a good crop of defenseman slated to hit UFA -- they can't screw it up.

There shouldn't be any excuses for Treliving this time around to really put his mark on the team, fix the holes and round out the team so that they can finally get through the slump.
It's definitely time to be aggressive. We've been so risk averse it has stagnated the team. The teams that are brave tend to see much better highs

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I’d pass on guys like Wright and Hayton whose development has either stalled or been very uneven in favour of guys who have had an upward development trajectory like Firkus or Geekie. No sense paying extra for sunk cost fallacy.

On a guy like Wright, have you even paid attention to what he did last year, or???

15 points in his last 16 AHL games, 5 points in 8 NHL games?

The perception issue on Wright, is that he was long thought of as the #1 OA player in his draft. So people compare him to that expectation, which he's never going to live up to. But, he's likely going to be a decent 2C in the NHL, and the last half of the year, his play really picked up.

We could really use a future 2C... and Seattle absolutely needs an elite winger.

You trade for Wright, and their 2024 1st... likely pick up Sam Dickinson 6'3" LD from London.

You've got two very good cost controlled assets, for a decade.. Wright steps in next year. Dickinson within a year or two. You've cleared cap room, and can address other areas of the roster.

Dickinson already excels with his strong defensive game and IQ without the puck. He defends extremely well against the rush and within his own zone, something that other defenders are inconsistent with this early on in their development. That aspect to his game is near pro ready...

While he’s great at reading the play when attacking players enter the zone, he isn’t afraid to engage physically and lay the body. Whether it’s an open ice hit or along the boards, Dickinson imposes his will and makes life difficult for the opposition.

The foundation of Dickinson’s game is his mobility. It’s rare to find a defender who moves as well as Dickinson does at 6’3. It was no surprise to see him dominate the on-ice testing at the CHL Top Prospect’s Game; he’s a spectacular athlete. Thanks to his effortless skating stride, Dickinson is an impactful player at both ends of the ice and is able to play aggressively, with and without the puck.

Sam Dickinson, D, 6-foot-3, 199 pounds
Draft Eligible: 68GP-18G-52A | Playoffs: 18GP-4G-9A

Dickinson is one of the top ranked defencemen for the 2024 NHL Draft. He's a player who doesn't look like is moving quickly, but it's due to his effortless stride. He brings a combination of size, skill, and open ice transitional pace.

Dickinson logged a ton of ice time for the London Knights in regular season play and the playoffs. He's deployed in all situations. Despite his stature he isn't overly physical. He's more of a "bumper" than a "punisher". He can be elusive walking the offensive blue line and directing pucks on net or joining the rush as an extra layer.

NHL Projection: Top pairing defenceman

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Shanny bet on the three wrong horses and it would be insanity to continue betting on them. If one of them brought what Matthew Tkachuk brings, maybe you have a chance. That MoFo shines under the bright lights. None of them have demonstrated they are capable of dragging their teammates into the fight. Close your eyes and imagine what the Panthers would have done to them last night in round #3. The time to move on is long overdue.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like this idea. Florida is in desperate need for cap space and may have to part ways with Knight. They have a Stanley Cup caliber team right now with Stolarz and Babrovsky so they may be more open to trading Knight than they were a few years ago.

Knight is signed for 2 more years. This is also good as it gives us a better opportunity to see if there's any hope for Woll and his injury-prone body and also gives us time to develop Hildeby as a back-up.\

Another name I mentioned the other day that would be interesting would be Knight. Florida could really use his 4.5 million towards re-signing a couple of their key players and from what it sounds like they’d love to keep Stolarz around.

I think Knight would be a good low buy target. He's got a pretty high cap hit for his experience with 2 years left on his current deal and he did have some off-ice issues which appear to be handled. I think the Panthers can probably punt him to someone outside their division if they want cap space, but maybe the Leafs can finesse as a 3rd party.

They might try to hold until Bob is a UFA in 2 years time as well. I would not be surprised if Bob goes on LTIR/retires soon.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I think Knight would be a good low buy target. He's got a pretty high cap hit for his experience with 2 years left on his current deal and he did have some off-ice issues which appear to be handled. I think the Panthers can probably punt him to someone outside their division if they want cap space, but maybe the Leafs can finesse as a 3rd party.
I think he had OCD and sought help. I think he's much better now.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

They were working on a Bobrovsky trade in the past. I think they'll get rid of him pretty easily, especially if they decide to retain a bit.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
It's not just the combined cap hit of the core 4 players though. If you look at Marner's situation in a vacuum, he is still not worth what he'll be asking for on a contract extension, especially when you factor in his playoff performance.
I think if the team is willing to pay Nylander 11.5m, then you should be willing to pay Marner 12m to 12.25m. Marner playoff performance is vastly over rated as someone thats "bad".

Marner: 57GP: 11G 39A, 50P
Matthews: 55GP: 23G, 25A, 48P
Nylander: 53GP: 20G 23A, 43P

We are paying a 2nd line C 11m to do what a 6.5m center can do, that will always be the biggest issue

Shanny bet on the three wrong horses and it would be insanity to continue betting on them. If one of them brought what Matthew Tkachuk brings, maybe you have a chance. That MoFo shines under the bright lights. None of them have demonstrated they are capable of dragging their teammates into the fight. Close your eyes and imagine what the Panthers would have done to them last night in round #3. The time to move on is long overdue.
Suddnely the Panthers are the ideal team to be like, meanwhile Barkov has in 59gp, 50 points.. Kinda like Marner, Tkchuck has 55 Points in 59 games, the difference between the Panthers winning and losing has been d-core and goaltending... Not that there best players are dominating the scoresheet.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I’m stunned so many want him to stay and continue to destroy the cap, you’d think they’re the Toronto Marner Leafs……..

Reactions: ToneDog

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I’m stunned so many want him to stay and continue to destroy the cap, you’d think they’re the Toronto Marner Leafs……..
I'm more stunned too see that you are failing to see Tavares for his money and what he's provided us last season, this season and next season is the one who is destroying the cap.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm more stunned too see that you are failing to see Tavares for his money and what he's provided us last season, this season and next season is the one who is destroying the cap.
JT doesn’t get a hall pass from me, by the start of the 2025/2026 season both should be elsewhere or playing for peanuts which applies to JT not Marner imo………

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
On a guy like Wright, have you even paid attention to what he did last year, or???

15 points in his last 16 AHL games, 5 points in 8 NHL games?

The perception issue on Wright, is that he was long thought of as the #1 OA player in his draft. So people compare him to that expectation, which he's never going to live up to. But, he's likely going to be a decent 2C in the NHL, and the last half of the year, his play really picked up.

We could really use a future 2C... and Seattle absolutely needs an elite winger.

You trade for Wright, and their 2024 1st... likely pick up Sam Dickinson 6'3" LD from London.

You've got two very good cost controlled assets, for a decade.. Wright steps in next year. Dickinson within a year or two. You've cleared cap room, and can address other areas of the roster.

The foundation of Dickinson’s game is his mobility. It’s rare to find a defender who moves as well as Dickinson does at 6’3. It was no surprise to see him dominate the on-ice testing at the CHL Top Prospect’s Game; he’s a spectacular athlete. Thanks to his effortless skating stride, Dickinson is an impactful player at both ends of the ice and is able to play aggressively, with and without the puck.

I will say Seattle needs more centers as well. Beniers has a lot of potential but has struggled this year and then the other centers are all pretty average at best. They have a good collection of forwards but nothing high end -- I just don't think Seattle will want to trade Wright for a few different reasons (first pick of the franchise, starting to scratch the surface, center needs, etc).

I was pushing Nylander to Seattle last off-season, but now Marner is a the forefront of this movement. They still have a lot of picks and prospects/young players that they could probably trade in order to get a star player like Firkus, Goyette, Rehkopf and Dragivec. I also feel like Treliving would love Oleksiak.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I will say Seattle needs more centers as well. Beniers has a lot of potential but has struggled this year and then the other centers are all pretty average at best. They have a good collection of forwards but nothing high end -- I just don't think Seattle will want to trade Wright for a few different reasons (first pick of the franchise, starting to scratch the surface, center needs, etc).

I was pushing Nylander to Seattle last off-season, but now Marner is a the forefront of this movement. They still have a lot of picks and prospects/young players that they could probably trade in order to get a star player like Firkus, Goyette, Rehkopf and Dragivec. I also feel like Treliving would love Oleksiak.

Maybe they won't want to trade Wright... that's possible... but then their roster was ok to begin with, and trading Wright and a pick doesn't affect their roster at all... no subtractions, just additions. Trading Oleksiak, Larsson, etc... some of the other names listed... well that leaves a hole in their roster, and this doesn't.... of course, it takes away futures for sure... but for a team that would like to make an impact now, in a new city.... this is definitely a help now move, with no negatives to the roster.

Here is a Seattle fans blog, specifically talking/debating about trading for Marner, Wright and the 1st....

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I don't get it, are we giving him character points for accepting a higher salary than what he would have received with hiss TML extension?

I suppose he could have taken less to stick it to the Leafs?
He didn't need to terminate the leafs contract. He could've been getting paid by both the leafs and the Devils. Leafs were contractually obligated to continue to pay him until his contract had ended.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
if you look at his comparable , he's probably worth have his contract at this point. For sure he's the one to move but value even with retention would probably still require a bad contract coming back...ie. Seth Jones . So at that point trading marner with value and let JT expire might be better long term

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think if the team is willing to pay Nylander 11.5m, then you should be willing to pay Marner 12m to 12.25m. Marner playoff performance is vastly over rated as someone thats "bad".

Marner: 57GP: 11G 39A, 50P
Matthews: 55GP: 23G, 25A, 48P
Nylander: 53GP: 20G 23A, 43P

We are paying a 2nd line C 11m to do what a 6.5m center can do, that will always be the biggest issue

Suddnely the Panthers are the ideal team to be like, meanwhile Barkov has in 59gp, 50 points.. Kinda like Marner, Tkchuck has 55 Points in 59 games, the difference between the Panthers winning and losing has been d-core and goaltending... Not that there best players are dominating the scoresheet.
I generally agree with all your posts but no way in hell am I paying Marner $12+m. Ship has sailed.

As for the Panthers they got over the hump once they dumped their Marner and brought in Tkachuk.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Everyone knows Tavares is a problem, that doesn't in itself automatically make Marner part of the solution by default.

Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad