GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I really wanted Ullmark when he hit the UFA market, he’s a really good goalie. Good move for Ottawa here. Ullmark - Forsberg duo is pretty solid.

Reactions: JKG33 and uncleben

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Great move for Ottawa… getting rid of Korpisalo’s contract is a W
Well according to Freidman just now, there's no contract extension in place, willing to play out the year. So they might have given up a 1st to get rid of the Korpisalo contract depending on what happens in the future.

I'm surprised Boston wanted a expensive 1B for Swayman. That combo will be 9-10m total.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
How nice to have a trade of some significance drop a little bit prior to the Cup being awarded! Somewhat surprised that Toronto was on Ullmark's NTC and Ottawa was not (unless he assumed that Ottawa wasn't going to be a realistic trade partner for Boston). Interesting that the best part of the return for a competitive Bruins team might be a draft pick, and also interesting that Ottawa would want to peddle that pick for a pending UFA.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They have been but this isn't an example of there largess

It's actually a team friendly deal, the only reason it's that low is his injury history
Guy’s done squat, I hope he can stay healthy and prove he’s worth the money, but probably be another bad signing. Time will tell…….

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Jake Allen?? Maybe with the Devils trading for Markstrom Allen will be available?? Perfect contract and great 1B to see if Woll can develop into a legit 1A. Can’t see Allen costing much and I would feel more comfortable with Woll/Allen then Woll/Stolarz or Woll/Brossoit.

Reactions: aingefan

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Sounds like no extension coming, might explain the price Ott paid. One year of Ullmark.
That could prove to be a costly 1st round pick if Ottawa misses the playoffs and/or Ullmark walks away after the season.

Edit: my bad!

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
That could prove to be a costly 1st round pick if Ottawa misses the playoffs and/or Ullmark walks away after the season.

I think it’s 25th overall this year. Somehow Boston had already given their pick to Ottawa??
Either way cap friendly doesn’t have Boston having a second pick

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think it’s 25th overall this year. Somehow Boston had already given their pick to Ottawa??
Either way cap friendly doesn’t have Boston having a second pick
My brain mixed up the 25% retention on Korpisalo with the 2024 1st round pick.

Not my best moment currently!

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
As much as I'd love to bring back Bert and/or Domi we have so much depth coming up on the left side (Knies, McMann, Cowan, Grebyonkin) that I feel like it might be better to invest that cap space in a center like Lindholm.

Signing Lindholm (who Tre is familiar with) would allow us to move Tavares to the wing or down to the third line until he hits UFA, and give us another defensively responsible center on our top 2 units. We don't have a lot of center depth in our organization, and next year's free agency doesn't have any top 6 centers just entering their prime years. Even if you think Minten will eventually be more than a 3rd line guy, it will still take some time for him to be that.

Lindholm would provide good balance to the Nylander line, and he's also a right shot center who excels in faceoffs, which is not something we already have. We could sign Lindholm (he's expected to earn between 7 to 8.5 million, and still have over 12 million in cap space to sign two defensemen (even without clearing out anyone). We'd have to go cheap in goal but that already looks to be the plan with guys like Broisset and Stolarz rumored, and as Stuart Skinner is showing you don't necessarily need a stud goaltender if you have a great team around them to get far in the playoffs. They just have to be competent and not give up backbreaking soft goals regularly.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
As much as I'd love to bring back Bert and/or Domi we have so much depth coming up on the left side (Knies, McMann, Cowan, Grebyonkin) that I feel like it might be better to invest that cap space in a center like Lindholm.

Signing Lindholm (who Tre is familiar with) would allow us to move Tavares to the wing or down to the third line until he hits UFA, and give us another defensively responsible center on our top 2 units. We don't have a lot of center depth in our organization, and next year's free agency doesn't have any top 6 centers just entering their prime years. Even if you think Minten will eventually be more than a 3rd line guy, it will still take some time for him to be that.

Lindholm would provide good balance to the Nylander line, and he's also a right shot center who excels in faceoffs, which is not something we already have. We could sign Lindholm (he's expected to earn between 7 to 8.5 million, and still have over 12 million in cap space to sign two defensemen (even without clearing out anyone). We'd have to go cheap in goal but that already looks to be the plan with guys like Broisset and Stolarz rumored, and as Stuart Skinner is showing you don't necessarily need a stud goaltender if you have a great team around them to get far in the playoffs. They just have to be competent and not give up backbreaking soft goals regularly.
I agree, having a solid 2 way center would be helpful. I was underwhelmed by Bertuzzi but fairness to Domi, I think he really had a heart and soul playoffs. I think Leafs would be interested in bringing him back but Domi will need to choose money or team. Id give him term if it helped, something like 6 years x $3.5 (for Domi).

For Lindholm, I would go 7 years x $8 million

Would need to make Tavares disappear to make it happen but would be huge.

Reactions: uncleben

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Well according to Freidman just now, there's no contract extension in place, willing to play out the year. So they might have given up a 1st to get rid of the Korpisalo contract depending on what happens in the future.

I'm surprised Boston wanted a expensive 1B for Swayman. That combo will be 9-10m total.

If there is an extension, it won't be cheap. Some are tossing around $7M. I'd love to see Ottawa pay that much.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Now the fun begins
Is this the latest ever that the cup has been awarded to a team? Usually it seems like early to mid June is the latest when the finals is over. Now as soon as the Panthers have won and will get their parade, the draft is already upon us this weekend and then its free agency a couple of days later. Hockey really has become an almost year round sport where the off season is so short and then the next season is upon us before we can even take a breather from the last one.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Both teams might've actually lost that trade which would be sweet. Boston definitely didn't win that by any means, and if Ullmark walks after this year that's another L for Ottawa.

Trading 1st when you haven't even made the playoffs is pretty questionable.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sign this guy cheap Tre

1719314177063.png

Reactions: LeafSteel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad