GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Ottawa is not trading Tkachuk here.

Even if he were on another team, they likely wouldn't have the pieces to get him anyway. Also, I am a little wary when a player asks for a trade, particularly from a Canadian team.

Reactions: Menzinger

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Tkchuck is a pipe dream, just like Matt, I think he forces his way onto an American team (thinking St.Louis, Nashvile etc)

I think for Marner as well, if he's going to leave, it's not going to be for another team in Canada. I think the constant pressure and attention in Canada will want him going to a place where hockey is 2nd/3rd in the market.
Honestly him and his brother get so much love for being nepotistic babies. Absolutely no one else in the NHL could force their team's hand like those 2 clowns did and/or planning to do and get nothing but universal love from their peers.

Look at PLD for example. He's quit on his team just like Matthew and Brady, and he is universally recognized as a cancer inside and outside of hockey. Yet no one held Matthew to that same standard and they will do the same thing for Brady because their Daddy is a well respected legend of the game

It's actually insane to me how any captain could ask for a trade and then force his current teams hand on where he wants to go. Completely gutless if you ask me.

Ya Tre got fleeced in that Tkchuck deal, but what the f*** was he supposed to do?? Matthew basically gave him like 2 teams to work with. Sounds like his stupid brother is planning on doing the same.

Great players. Would love to have them on my team, but they have to be the most entitled f***ing goofs in the NHL

Reactions: aingefan

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Genius move. Let's pay a career PPG at his peak more money than a player who has won a rocket and has had multiple 100+ seasons. And you wonder why they haven't won since 1967. LOL.

Chance to win a SC in the biggest hockey market in NHL. Same reason why Berube held out for the Leafs. It should not be a hard sell.
And don’t forget the most important feature:
Chance to ascend to Godhood.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'd be surprised if Lilly is happy here. He's probably tired of losing his roster spot in the playoffs and never seeing much PP time. Will we bank on his prime years where he'll be at his best? Late 20s are usually the time to buy low on our guy here. We've been pretty bad at drafting NHL D. I lean to giving him a 4-5 year contract rather than giving up on the guy. He has the tools but is lacking the decision making that probably will come with enough reps. He just hasn't seen enough games. He doesn't have much of a case to argue for tons of money. I'd like to see him stay and benefit from his prime 24-29 year seasons
On the other hand, if you can't secure a playoff spot on a team with only 2 legit top 4 d-men, what good are you? There's few teams where he'd have a bigger opportunity, and none thatre sure playoff bets

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
And don’t forget the most important feature:
Chance to ascend to Godhood.
Might be the worst quote from any Leaf ever, everybody knows you never go full ret**d……….

On the other hand, if you can't secure a playoff spot on a team with only 2 legit top 4 d-men, what good are you? There's few teams where he'd have a bigger opportunity, and none thatre sure playoff bets
No great loss, he’s farkle material in a upcoming trade imo………..

Reactions: JKG33

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Honestly him and his brother get so much love for being nepotistic babies. Absolutely no one else in the NHL could force their team's hand like those 2 clowns did and/or planning to do and get nothing but universal love from their peers.

Look at PLD for example. He's quit on his team just like Matthew and Brady, and he is universally recognized as a cancer inside and outside of hockey. Yet no one held Matthew to that same standard and they will do the same thing for Brady because their Daddy is a well respected legend of the game

It's actually insane to me how any captain could ask for a trade and then force his current teams hand on where he wants to go. Completely gutless if you ask me.

Ya Tre got fleeced in that Tkchuck deal, but what the f*** was he supposed to do?? Matthew basically gave him like 2 teams to work with. Sounds like his stupid brother is planning on doing the same.

Great players. Would love to have them on my team, but they have to be the most entitled f***ing goofs in the NHL
It's because they're actually good and play like they give a shit. Even when they want out they're still on the ice hitting everything in sight and doing the right things.

And I'm someone who hates Matt for trying to take out Quick's eye twice

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Granted they’ve been regular season successful, playoffs are a completely different story, I’m hoping Berube has them playing playoff hockey from the preseason until the last game of the year……….
Sure... you can ask for more from Nylander.... and I think he's got it in him... I also agree you should be teaching to play the way you want to play in the playoffs from start of training camp. Instill that play style, and consistent effort from day one. No days off, no games off, no periods off... and that's been a big issue with this group. Just not showing up for periods, games.... that's not acceptable. I found it strange that we went to a dump and chase style for the playoffs, when we'd been a successful carry the puck in team for the regular season, and really aren't built for dump and chase... whatever way we are going to play, do it from game one.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
It's because they're actually good and play like they give a shit. Even when they want out they're still on the ice hitting everything in sight and doing the right things.

And I'm someone who hates Matt for trying to take out Quick's eye twice
yes they are great players, and yes they play like they give a shit. I know they give a shit. But they care more about themselves than the team, and that is becoming increasingly more clear.

I actually love them as players and would love to have either one of them on my team, but this idea where players force their teams hand into moving them to a specific destination is insane to me. Especially from players wearing letters.

Obviously I have to be more fair to Brady, as him asking for a trade is just speculation, and not even close to factual. But it really would not shock me given how his brother handled the Calgary situation. Ya it was his right to leave Calgary the following year, and yes he was open with his desire to leave at the end of his deal, but lets not pretend like his prior bridge deal was not signed specifically with the intention to leave thereafter. He never cared about Calgary long term.

Of course, do what is best for you and yours, but is loyalty to your teammates not a thing anymore???

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
yes they are great players, and yes they play like they give a shit. I know they give a shit. But they care more about themselves than the team, and that is becoming increasingly more clear.

I actually love them as players and would love to have either one of them on my team, but this idea where players force their teams hand into moving them to a specific destination is insane to me. Especially from players wearing letters.

Obviously I have to be more fair to Brady, as him asking for a trade is just speculation, and not even close to factual. But it really would not shock me given how his brother handled the Calgary situation. Ya it was his right to leave Calgary the following year, and yes he was open with his desire to leave at the end of his deal, but lets not pretend like his prior bridge deal was not signed specifically with the intention to leave thereafter. He never cared about Calgary long term.

Of course, do what is best for you and yours, but is loyalty to your teammates not a thing anymore???
I mean I don't really care what a player thinks/feels as long as the performance is fine. The Tkachuk bros play good, physical hockey that makes it at least look like they care. The same can't be said for this core group

Reactions: ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I mean I don't really care what a player thinks/feels as long as the performance is fine. The Tkachuk bros play good, physical hockey that makes it at least look like they care. The same can't be said for this core group
I’d go as far as saying I’ve never felt the core guys ever get as upset at losing as the fan base does, you can tell from their answer’s every clean out your locker day they don’t give a shit, it’s a job and they do it for the money, sure winning would be nice, but at what cost………

Reactions: Jmo89 and JKG33

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021

Honestly? Maybe not, unfortunately.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
100%

I will never say they don't give a shit on the ice. Those guys play for the logo on the front. I just question their long term loyalty. What good is your investment in them if they don't want to be part of the solution.

They just strike me as Lebron's of the NHL

I will never argue the talent and the way they play. They are truly a dying breed and I genuinely wish there were more players like them. I just think they are living off of the wisdom from their tenured father. Keith has almost certainly told them to take care of themselves because their teams will always do that in reverse. Which is great, but at the same time I think there is a level of loyalty that should be shown to the team that gave you your shot. Matthew asked for a trade at age 24, and if the rumor are true, Brady would be doing the same. That reeks of entitlement IMO.

Reactions: aingefan

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

It can't be one-way.

Player is loyal.
Team trades loyal player.

NMC ... because player wants to be there. Limited NTC ... player is willing to listen.

Fans scream at players to waive their NMC ... and "Fans" want players to be loyal.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
100%

I will never say they don't give a shit on the ice. Those guys play for the logo on the front. I just question their long term loyalty. What good is your investment in them if they don't want to be part of the solution.

They just strike me as Lebron's of the NHL

I will never argue the talent and the way they play. They are truly a dying breed and I genuinely wish there were more players like them. I just think they are living off of the wisdom from their tenured father. Keith has almost certainly told them to take care of themselves because their teams will always do that in reverse. Which is great, but at the same time I think there is a level of loyalty that should be shown to the team that gave you your shot. Matthew asked for a trade at age 24, and if the rumor are true, Brady would be doing the same. That reeks of entitlement IMO.
I'd happily take a team of mercenaries if that's what gets a cup. Certainly more likely to win with that kind of player than with a team of players who half ass it and just collect a paycheck.

Reactions: ToneDog

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
It can't be one-way.

Player is loyal.

NMC ... because player wants to be there. Limited NTC ... player is willing to listen.

Fans scream at players to waive their NMC ... and "Fans" want players to be loyal.

I think the NMC is sometimes less about specifically wanting to stay where you are and more about controlling your destination as you see fit.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'd happily take a team of mercenaries if that's what gets a cup. Certainly more likely to win with that kind of player than with a team of players who half ass it and just collect a paycheck.
1 and 9 in playoffs series is proof. All one has to do is watch both semi-finals. Players are laying it all on the line. Our guys smile when they are rag dolled, cry to the refs when they are punched in the mouth, refuse to play physically and are afraid of their shadows on most nights.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
It can't be one-way.

Player is loyal.

lets be real though, NMC is not put in place by the player because they want to establish their loyalty to the organization. The NMC are only put in place for situations exactly like this one.

As in, I do not plan on resigning with your team long term at the conclusion of my current deal, I will waive my NMC to go to this 1 specific team, have fun with that.

Again, maybe it's just me being bitter with these players that show no loyalty, and maybe I need to come around to their perspective more. This is their advantage in negotiations and they are just utilizing it. But this is the exact situation we face with Mitch. If he tells us that he doesn't want to resign with us in 2025 and that he will only accept a deal to say Nashville, we take what they give us. There is absolutely no negotiating that can be done at that point.

Of the blame is not exclusively on Mitch there. In fact, it is hard to blame him at all for exercising his rights. But I also don't think Mitch's situation is the same as Brady's. There likely is mutual interest for change in Mitch's case, whereas if Brady wants out, it would almost likely not be welcomed the same way from the Sens perspective. That wouldn't prevent Brady from forcing their hand though. Which is exactly what his brother did

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think the NMC is sometimes less about specifically wanting to stay where you are and more about controlling your destination as you see fit.

Yeah, no doubt when you sign with a team you want to be there and if not you'd like some control over where they might "offer" you.

Like being in the military, you don't have a lot of choice, but they will accommodate certain requests.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
lets be real though, NMC is not put in place by the player because they want to establish their loyalty to the organization. The NMC are only put in place for situations exactly like this one.

As in, I do not plan on resigning with your team long term at the conclusion of my current deal, I will waive my NMC to go to this 1 specific team, have fun with that.
You only get a NMC after so many years though.
After the ELSC the team still has control.
marner's only kicked at the 23-24 season, so he could have been traded anywhere before then.
8 years of control for the Leafs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well, if you get rid of our only puck moving defensemen and replace them with defensive defensemen they will defend first and foremost, because they'll never leave their zone.
maybe, or maybe the forwards will have to be more accountable and help with D zone exits.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad