Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Markstrom, Tanev, Greer would plug our holes perfectly.
"The constant Achilles' Heel of the Leafs has been goalies choking in the playoffs when it matters... So let's blow assets on a guy with a history of choking in the playoffs when it matters!"

Why don't we just go and see if Carolina wants to give us Freddie back instead?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Just reading through here it's pretty obvious out of the guys we believe may be available that Tanev is by far the best fit for Rielly

The guys a defensive rock, who's managed to stay fit for the last few years and would fit our team and MO like a glove

Maybe we just trade the first and try to get a 3rd or 4th back? It's not ideal to move our first but I don't see any other way right now

A first round pick is what it will end up costing for any team, so I really don't see the big deal. If it's not the Leafs, it will be a team like Edmonton or Dallas. Unless they think they can do better (i.e., Hanifin), I would go get Tanev now and pay the necessary cost. This team can win the Cup this season. To pass on that opportunity for the sake of the 25th overall pick is not logical.
In this case I would try to get Calgary's 2nd back, if not another asset that could be inserted into the lineup right away. This trade would give them 3 1sts. Hanifin and Markstrom could bring them more. I don't think they'd lose sleep over having no 2nd with all those 1sts and I'd do what I can to leverage that.

Reactions: Kiwi and Dragao6

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
I would do that without thinking twice which makes me think Calgary wouldn’t. If Calgary made that trade they’d be looking at Huberdeau, 2 1sts, Minten, Kampf for Tkachuk which looks awful.
The bigger problem might be that losing the pending FAs guts the Flames defense and it seems like they are hoping to retool around Huberdeau and Kadri rather than tear it down. I don't think they would consider it without a stupid offer. He would be a nice addition for sure though.

Reactions: aingefan

Atrusai

Oct 9, 2017
I think if you add Markstrom and Tanev to this team, or their comparables in Nashville, we are looking at the Leafs as the Cup favourite.

Wouldn't say favourite, but definitely much better odds of going deep at least

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Klim Kostin can’t crack Detroit’s lineup. He was very good last year in his role. He’s currently not worth his 2M price tag. He might be worth grabbing for cheap in hopes of a return to form.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
To Calgary
Timothy Liljegren
David Kampft
Eastan Cowan
1st round pick (2024)
3rd round pick (2025)

To Toronto
Mackenzie Weegar (25% retained)
Chris Tanev (50% retained)... Tanev extends 2x4

Toronto's playoff D-core is...

Rielly / Weegar
Brodie / Tanev
Benoit / McCabe

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Don’t get me wrong, I’d prefer to add a top pairing dman such as Parayko. That would be my top priority.

Rielly - Parayko
Brodie - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

Just not sure the likelihood of a move of that kind of magnitude before the deadline. Hope Tre proves me wrong there though!
people keep bringing up Parayko; guys bad. Watching him go against the leafs top guys he might as well have been a pylon.

He grades poorly across the board and is about 4m overpaid. Just because he is tall doesnt mean he is good.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
I'd be calling San Jose and offering lesser assets for Emberson+Carpenter. Something like 3rd+5th+Timmins. Carpenter's underlying numbers have been solid on a bad SJ team and he's a RHC which the Leafs currently don't have. Emberson is a young RHD who plays a good chunk of minutes for SJ and isn't getting snowed in. He could realistically be a partner for Rielly on the current team.
see this i like.

For all the hand wringing about the former GM going all in, i really wish he was in on defensemen that weren't really rumoured.

Devon Toews got just 2 seconds in return and he would instantly elevate our D-core to respectable. There's gotta be a trade like that out there. Something shrewd like Emberson or Ferraro.

Reactions: Chindis

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
people keep bringing up Parayko; guys bad. Watching him go against the leafs top guys he might as well have been a pylon.

He grades poorly across the board and is about 4m overpaid. Just because he is tall doesnt mean he is good.
4 years ago he was a pure stud but now you right...

Reactions: arso40 and WillNy29

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Having watched him twice against the Leafs and against Detroit on Saturday Parayko is firmly on my "do not trade for" list. Guy is just flat out bad. I know St. Louis is mediocre but the guy looks lost.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I think if you add Markstrom and Tanev to this team, or their comparables in Nashville, we are looking at the Leafs as the Cup favourite.
I don't know about favorites but it would def improve us. I'd want 2M retention on Markstrom though + Samsonov's expiring going the other way. Markstrom at 4M for 2 more years is solid value and buys Woll and Hildeby time to get their feet wet.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Having watched him twice against the Leafs and against Detroit on Saturday Parayko is firmly on my "do not trade for" list. Guy is just flat out bad. I know St. Louis is mediocre but the guy looks lost.
The two games against the Blues brought me Dion's vibes whenever I see Parayko against our top guys.

I don't know about favorites but it would def improve us. I'd want 2M retention on Markstrom though + Samsonov's expiring going the other way. Markstrom at 4M for 2 more years is solid value and buys Woll and Hildeby time to get their feet wet.
If Flames is willing to take 2mil from Marky, a lot of teams will offer something more than the Leafs. One of them is NJ.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
We all understand that YOU would do that but that doesn't really hold much water.
Says who? Leafs will regret not taking care of defense. 10 goal wingers are a dime a dozen and we have McMann.

Traveling also signed Reaves for 3 years. People make mistakes. I'm sure he'd revisit the Reaves signing if he could too.:D
5.5 million for Bert when we need defense. Ouch!

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Says who? Leafs will regret not taking care of defense. 10 goal wingers are a dime a dozen and we have McMann.

5.5 million for Bert when we need defense. Ouch!
Except it seems our shortcoming every playoffs is secondary scoring, scoring in general actually. Domi and Bertuzzi are here to address that.

Klingberg however. If we wer going to spend 4m+ on a dman, that wasn't it.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Traveling also signed Reaves for 3 years. People make mistakes. I'm sure he'd revisit the Reaves signing if he could too.:D
As crazy as this sounds I’m holding out on Reavo until I see what he turns into come playoffs, at least this year. Not a lot of hope for years ahead though.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yeah, Samsonov has to be included in any trade for a goalie, but that should be easy for the acquiring team because they just need to ride out the last couple of months of his contract.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Leafs trade Cowan, Niemela, Robertson, 1st, conditional 1st 2026 (Leafs win the cup any year 2024-2026) to Pens for Erik Karlsson (50% retained).

Leafs trade Minten, Liljegren to Chicago to retain another half of Karlsson's salary.

Selling the future to win now. A concept as old as hockey itself. Trading a maybe for a known commodity.

Maybe Cowan goes on to be the next Marty St. Louis.

Or maybe he goes on to become the next Nikolai Borschevsky. Erik Karlsson is a three time Norris trophy winner having one of the best years of his career. I know who I'd rather have on the team.

Anyone not helping win a cup the next two years should be expendable.

But not for just any old rental to strengthen the fringes. That's worked so well every other year. They need to swing for the fences and get the best player available regardless of cost.

Go big or go home.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Leafs trade Cowan, Niemela, Robertson, 1st, conditional 1st 2026 (Leafs win the cup any year 2024-2026) to Pens for Erik Karlsson (50% retained).

Leafs trade Minten, Liljegren to Chicago to retain another half of Karlsson's salary.

Selling the future to win now. A concept as old as hockey itself. Trading a maybe for a known commodity.

Or maybe he goes on to become the next Nikolai Borschevsky. Erik Karlsson is a three time Norris trophy winner having one of the best years of his career. I know who I'd rather have on the team.

But not for just any old rental to strengthen the fringes. That's worked so well every other year. They need to swing for the fences and get the best player available regardless of cost.

Go big or go home.
Best years of his career? Hard pass on Karlsson.

Agreed, it looks attractive based on the name and past success, but he didn’t just look okay, he looked awful. Too risky.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.

Go big or go home.
You think our defense sucks now
Your giving away all the future for a guy who
Doesn’t know what defense looks like.
Wow!
If Karlsson scores three goals but is on the ice for four that isn’t progress

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Go big or go home.
LMAO.

Posts like this keep me young.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Go big or go home.
Tell me you are not serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad