Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
You need someone who can move the puck effectively. Don’t get me wrong, I’d still be happy with Zadorov/Tanev or really happy with a guy like Pulock but none of those guys can move the puck great.

It really depends on Timmins and if he can stay healthy as he can be that third pair second PP offensive defenceman. But history shows us we can’t really rely on Timmins for a long stretch unfortunately.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Depending on how long Klingberg is out for (ideally we don’t see him wearing a Maple Leaf jersey again), I’d be looking at Gibson. I think Woll has starter potential, but in a couple years. Gibson - Woll tandem would be really good.

• Haha
Reactions: kb and LeafChief

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I dont understand the luv for haniffin. I've never seen it from watching him play.

Great skater with size and pretty good all around. The Leafs need more mobility and puck ability from the backend and he adds that. The Leafs just lost an offensive weapon in Klingberg so I think adding someone like Hanifin would help a lot in that without the big defensive liability.

The Leafs only have 4 goals from the defense --- 3 from Rielly and 1 from Giordano. Brodie only has 2 assists. McCabe has 0 points. Liljegren had 1 point. People talk about "net clearing D" like it means something or like it's an issue but the fact that the Leafs have zero puck ability from the point after Rielly is a big problem. Timmins will hopefully help here.

The biggest problem with Hanifin is that he's another LHD but sometimes you just need to add quality and the rest will fall into place.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
My guess is that people are looking at it from the upside and ability to move the puck.

I'm not sure I see the cost-benefit to acquire him, unless you can get him for pennies on the dollar.

There seems to be a question about whether he wants to stay or go.

He won't be cheap.
He won't be a dump.

Is Steeves really an emergency recall, or emergency showcase?

So what is your (anyone) offer?

Perhaps he wants to return to the USofA?

Just entering his prime, good size, good wheels, probably out of Leafs' snack bracket?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Seattle - Currently on the outs - Adam Larsson is RD and an upcoming UFA.
Philly -
I doubt they continue their pace, likely sellers - Walker has proven to be a good dman.
Arizona - below .500 team - Matt Dumba could add a physical element.

Larson would be my pick for sure if available.

Not sure if he would like Toronto after his Edmonton stint but who knows

Reactions: arso40

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I agree, preferably we wait and see how Timmins plays and then go from there. Timmins was great in the pre season and hopefully he picks up where he left off.

I would prefer RHD like Adam Larsson, Walker, or Tanev depending on cost/health and it being closer to the deadline.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He’s also been injured all of this season and who knows how he will come back from that.

As someone else said, for 50% and giving a very mediocre pick like a 5th it would be worth it I guess.

Also based on all of RoR, Acciari, and Schenn leaving it sounds like they didn’t really like being here

RoR commented about not liking the scrutiny but the other two seem like they simply chased the money/term. That’s their perogative but I don’t think it’s a reflection on their time here and whether they liked it.

horner

May 22, 2007
I dont understand the luv for haniffin. I've never seen it from watching him play.
Same here, he's definitely not worth 7 mil on his new contract.
I don't see alot of passion in his game, defensive coverage isn't the best and not physical at all.

If you are going to make a trade for him he better resugn

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
RoR commented about not liking the scrutiny but the other two seem like they simply chased the money/term. That’s their perogative but I don’t think it’s a reflection on their time here and whether they liked it.

The guy wanted a quite final contract somewhere in the US, which is exactly where he went. It's not like he signed in Nashville because he wanted to win a cup this season lol

horner

May 22, 2007
He’s also been injured all of this season and who knows how he will come back from that.

As someone else said, for 50% and giving a very mediocre pick like a 5th it would be worth it I guess.

Also based on all of RoR, Acciari, and Schenn leaving it sounds like they didn’t really like being here
Acciari 3 * 2 mi
Schenn 3 *;2.75
They left for money

ROR left for Nashville

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Adding goaltending onto the shopping list is not good.

Carter Hart? RFA at the end of the deal, maybe extend 2-3 years to buy time for Woll?

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Any day Tree wants to make a move for defensemen would be great. Sick of watching this team blow multi-goal leads and failing to close out games in regulation.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Great skater with size and pretty good all around. The Leafs need more mobility and puck ability from the backend and he adds that. The Leafs just lost an offensive weapon in Klingberg so I think adding someone like Hanifin would help a lot in that without the big defensive liability.

The Leafs only have 4 goals from the defense --- 3 from Rielly and 1 from Giordano. Brodie only has 2 assists. McCabe has 0 points. Liljegren had 1 point. People talk about "net clearing D" like it means something or like it's an issue but the fact that the Leafs have zero puck ability from the point after Rielly is a big problem. Timmins will hopefully help here.

The biggest problem with Hanifin is that he's another LHD but sometimes you just need to add quality and the rest will fall into place.
The problem is the guys who don't have puck ability from the point also are bad at clearing the front of the net. They are the most neutral group of defenders. Jack of all trades master of none.

Reactions: arso40

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Knies - Matthews - Bertuzzi
Jarnkrok - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Domi - Nylander
McMann - Kampf - Gregor

OR

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Domi - Jarnkrok
McMann - Kampf - Gregor

I’d like to see either of these forward lines play a few games together. I don’t get why Keefe is so stuck on playing Matthews and Marner together constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad