Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Peeke probably doesn't really move the needle on any of our current RHD. Now that Severson is injured long-term, maybe he'll be able to play more consistently though and we'll see how he does.

The Leafs have Timmins back, and both Benoit and Lagesson have shown to be capable defensemen as well. When Liljegren gets back, the Leafs will have a very crowded blueline. So any sort of trade needs to be about adding quality, not just an average/sideways addition.
For sure he does he’s what we’re looking for kinda reminds me of a young trouba let’s hope timmins is better on d this year I get your thought on not moving the needle do to his personal impact on the game but he checcs the boxes on what we’re missing short n long term

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
For sure he does he’s what we’re looking for kinda reminds me of a young trouba let’s hope timmins is better on d this year I get your thought on not moving the needle do to his personal impact on the game but he checcs the boxes on what we’re missing short n long term

The IDEA of Peeke is good on paper but I don't think he's as good as some people around here seem to think. He's only played 4 NHL games this year and his TOI/G is less than 15 minutes. He has been healthy as well and it's not like Columbus is a good team or anything.

Taking a chance on him is one thing... but I don't know why a lot of people in here seem to think he'll come in and suddenly play like he's the next Trouba. It's very possible he's just not very good and we don't have the cap space to just waste on an average player.

I can't imagine if the Leafs had a 2.75M healthy scratch to trade and how many picks it would take to get a team to take them.

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
The IDEA of Peeke is good on paper but I don't think he's as good as some people around here seem to think. He's only played 4 NHL games this year and his TOI/G is less than 15 minutes. He has been healthy as well and it's not like Columbus is a good team or anything.

Taking a chance on him is one thing... but I don't know why a lot of people in here seem to think he'll come in and suddenly play like he's really really good and some hidden gem. It's very possible he's just not very good and we don't have the cap space to just waste on an average player.
Highly touted draft picc showed promise early on but was a big dash player last year for a rebuilding team there not playing him they have severson for the tough minutes gubranson is gonna cost them more to get rid of then to play they have their offensive top 10 picc from Sweden that can’t even get into games and they have the czech rookie we would be taking advantage of a team that needs the cap space and is trying to balance their line up kinda like the johnsson trade with devils point is I don’t think it cost nothing to take a chance on that kid other than cap space but I’m sure we have a bit of that with klingberg about to go on robidas island if he looks good you move Brodie for tanev and balance our dcore

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Just get Tanev. Should be relatively cheap as a rental. He's a perfect fit for when this team finally gets healthy.

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Brodie
Gio - Liljegren

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Just get Tanev. Should be relatively cheap as a rental. He's a perfect fit for when this team finally gets healthy.

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Brodie
Gio - Liljegren
While I agree on getting Tanev, that pairing of McCabe and Brodie was absolutely horrible in the playoffs last year.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I think that we need to get a defenceman that actually moves the needle, so a solid first of second pair guy, not a 4-6 type. We already have a lot of them. With everyone healthy we have four solid ones:

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Lily

The bottom pairing is some composition of Lagesson, Benoit, Gio, and Timmins. All of whom have been solid players. I don't see how adding a Peeke over a Lagesson makes any difference really.

But adding a solid second pair guy bumps McCabe or Lily to 3rd pair where they should be able to crush the competition.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Taking a chance on him is one thing... but I don't know why a lot of people in here seem to think he'll come in and suddenly play like he's the next Trouba. It's very possible he's just not very good and we don't have the cap space to just waste on an average player.

I can't imagine if the Leafs had a 2.75M healthy scratch to trade and how many picks it would take to get a team to take them.

I've been a fan of Peeke's. Up until last year, he was showing signs of being the next up and coming good RH Defensive D. Good size, Very good mobility, and importantly these days... also good skating. He's also shown the capacity to log a decent amount of minutes.

Peeke also played with the US team in the World Championships in 2022... was an ice leader in time, and the top points getter from the D, when given more freedom. It really looked like he was going to take the next step... and then last year happened... His partner the last couple of years was Gavirkov, and they were in talks in some circles as to being one of the better defensive pairings in the league. Gavrikov didn't look very good with Columbus last year... nobody looked very good with Columbus last year. Gavrikov has played very well for LA this year. It looks to me like a case where players look bad, on a bad team.

Now... Columbus.. I mean, hardly the model for a well run team. They went out and signed/traded for some subpar D, making more money than Peeke... So, what they are doing there? Who knows exactly. If Klingberg is going on LTIR, I'd consider acquiring Peeke. If Klingberg isn't going on LTIR, I'd consider trading Klingberg for Peeke, plus a couple of thirds (to columbus). The cost isn't high, and I think Peeke is better than what he showed last year, and outside of the contracts on Columbus... I mean the org is just doing stupid things. Columbus might not want Klingberg, but he is owed less real dollars, so they save a few bucks, and they have cap room for him... so it doesn't matter. If we can pick up Peeke and move Klingberg, it gives us cap flexibility.

Once Peeke is moved to a better team, I think we'll see a better player.

While I agree on getting Tanev, that pairing of McCabe and Brodie was absolutely horrible in the playoffs last year.
They just couldn't move the puck... that being said... they've been ok this year together.

Reactions: cyris and arso40

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Highly touted draft picc showed promise early on but was a big dash player last year for a rebuilding team there not playing him they have severson for the tough minutes gubranson is gonna cost them more to get rid of then to play they have their offensive top 10 picc from Sweden that can’t even get into games and they have the czech rookie we would be taking advantage of a team that needs the cap space and is trying to balance their line up kinda like the johnsson trade with devils point is I don’t think it cost nothing to take a chance on that kid other than cap space but I’m sure we have a bit of that with klingberg about to go on robidas island if he looks good you move Brodie for tanev and balance our dcore
I've been a fan of Peeke's. Up until last year, he was showing signs of being the next up and coming good RH Defensive D. Good size, Very good mobility, and importantly these days... also good skating. He's also shown the capacity to log a decent amount of minutes.

Peeke also played with the US team in the World Championships in 2022... was an ice leader in time, and the top points getter from the D, when given more freedom. It really looked like he was going to take the next step... and then last year happened... His partner the last couple of years was Gavirkov, and they were in talks in some circles as to being one of the better defensive pairings in the league. Gavrikov didn't look very good with Columbus last year... nobody looked very good with Columbus last year. Gavrikov has played very well for LA this year. It looks to me like a case where players look bad, on a bad team.

Now... Columbus.. I mean, hardly the model for a well run team. They went out and signed/traded for some subpar D, making more money than Peeke... So, what they are doing there? Who knows exactly. If Klingberg is going on LTIR, I'd consider acquiring Peeke. If Klingberg isn't going on LTIR, I'd consider trading Klingberg for Peeke, plus a couple of thirds (to columbus). The cost isn't high, and I think Peeke is better than what he showed last year, and outside of the contracts on Columbus... I mean the org is just doing stupid things. Columbus might not want Klingberg, but he is owed less real dollars, so they save a few bucks, and they have cap room for him... so it doesn't matter. If we can pick up Peeke and move Klingberg, it gives us cap flexibility.

Once Peeke is moved to a better team, I think we'll see a better player.

They just couldn't move the puck... that being said... they've been ok this year together.

I mean there's a lot of players that rise up and plateau, and eventually regress. I don't think that Columbus is intentionally sitting out a good player, he's obviously struggling. He wasn't very good last year either and had to go out and get Severson and Provorov to try to improve.

Sometimes a player moves to a new team and does very well. Zadorov was traded for a simple 3rd round pick to Calgary from Chigago a few years ago under the same premise. So maybe Peeke would be in the same boat where he'd move to a new team and he removes the stink of a bad team.

I think there are so many better quality targets to go after than a question mark signed for a couple more years. But if the price is right and the pro scouting is on point, it could be an interesting bet. If the bet fails, it's a tough mistake to walk away from.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I mean there's a lot of players that rise up and plateau, and eventually regress. I don't think that Columbus is intentionally sitting out a good player, he's obviously struggling. He wasn't very good last year either and had to go out and get Severson and Provorov to try to improve.

Sometimes a player moves to a new team and does very well. Zadorov was traded for a simple 3rd round pick to Calgary from Chigago a few years ago under the same premise. So maybe Peeke would be in the same boat where he'd move to a new team and he removes the stink of a bad team.

I think there are so many better quality targets to go after than a question mark signed for a couple more years. But if the price is right and the pro scouting is on point, it could be an interesting bet. If the bet fails, it's a tough mistake to walk away from.
Zadorov is probably a good example... he wasn't a very good D to be honest... he made a lot of mistakes, and took himself out of position with his hits... and with the right coaching, he's simplified his game. It wasn't just that he wasn't on a good team, he wasn't even a good D. Colorado fans have said the same thing... a guy who got out of position too much, and exposed his team.

We've just had a massive discussion on how this team has spent assets, on players who aren't here a year later. Zadorov is looking for a $5 mil + contract... and the guy is really a third pairing D man.... We shouldn't pay him that, and we shouldn't pay a premium asset, to have the guy walk at UFA.

Peeke is also 24 years old.... the same age as Lilly.... so "if" he works out, that's a young D under control for a long time. I acknowledge it's a bit of a gamble... But my general preference is to find players we will have under control for a long time, and not waste further assets on bodies headed out the door. Peeke technically is still learning the game, like Lilly... so that's why I think the gamble is worth it... if our pro scouting sits down and watches his tapes from the last couple of years. Zadorov is 28 which isn't bad... but the price tag is. Tanev is 34, and has a history of injuries.... I just would prefer younger players, on longer contracts... Not someone's soon to be UFA, that is being dumped because they don't want to sign them to an unreasonable contract, that we'd have to sign....

Seriously... $5 mil for Zadorov?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Zadorov is probably a good example... he wasn't a very good D to be honest... he made a lot of mistakes, and took himself out of position with his hits... and with the right coaching, he's simplified his game. It wasn't just that he wasn't on a good team, he wasn't even a good D. Colorado fans have said the same thing... a guy who got out of position too much, and exposed his team.

We've just had a massive discussion on how this team has spent assets, on players who aren't here a year later. Zadorov is looking for a $5 mil + contract... and the guy is really a third pairing D man.... We shouldn't pay him that, and we shouldn't pay a premium asset, to have the guy walk at UFA.

Peeke is also 24 years old.... the same age as Lilly.... so "if" he works out, that's a young D under control for a long time. I acknowledge it's a bit of a gamble... But my general preference is to find players we will have under control for a long time, and not waste further assets on bodies headed out the door. Peeke technically is still learning the game, like Lilly... so that's why I think the gamble is worth it... if our pro scouting sits down and watches his tapes from the last couple of years. Zadorov is 28 which isn't bad... but the price tag is. Tanev is 34, and has a history of injuries.... I just would prefer younger players, on longer contracts... Not someone's soon to be UFA, that is being dumped because they don't want to sign them to an unreasonable contract, that we'd have to sign....

Seriously... $5 mil for Zadorov?

We forget that in the next 2-3 months the selling teams will grow and there will be more options than Calgary. There's a lot of focus on them for obvious reasons. The Leafs only really have the cap space for 1 upgrade.

The Leafs should really stand pat over that time and evaluate both Timmins and a returning Liljegren from a long injury, and go from there.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

They were very very good in the 1st round. If you look at the Lightning top players production and underlying numbers, they were held in check very well.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
In the debate over fringe defenders, I like Fabbro over Peake.

Fabbro has played 16 games this year, so there are is something to analyze at least.
And also because Fabbro is an RFA so you can pay him based on the half season performance with the Leafs.

The team will probably be in a cap crunch next year, Not sure I like the idea of gambling on Peeke, a guy who has played 4 games this year and makes 2.75 M for the next 2 years. It just seems short-sighted. I would rather sit on my hands and wait for a better fit who isn't such a risk.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
""

Early season trade candidate? But.. they've given him a $4 mil cap hit.

9 pts in 16GP

If they retained 50%, took Reaves and a 5th for Perry.

I'd do it.

Also, @ACC1224 - I would still take Schenn for a 3rd, provided that Klingberg is LTIR the rest of the way.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Seems like a thrown away asset when they could have just signed him.
3 years is too long as well, IMO.

I really think he was one that got away from us, I doubt they'd trade him either but he provides that toughness that Reaves supposedly provides but still a playable NHLer, even at the 3rd pairing, he still provides a ton of value.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
In the debate over fringe defenders, I like Fabbro over Peake.

Fabbro has played 16 games this year, so there are is something to analyze at least.
And also because Fabbro is an RFA so you can pay him based on the half season performance with the Leafs.

The team will probably be in a cap crunch next year, Not sure I like the idea of gambling on Peeke, a guy who has played 4 games this year and makes 2.75 M for the next 2 years. It just seems short-sighted. I would rather sit on my hands and wait for a better fit who isn't such a risk.
Problem is we lacc physical net clearing defencemen not sure fabbro fits that

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Dreger us suggesting that Sean Walker might be available... I think some people in here have wanted him before.

I was on that list the year prior to him missing an entire season, I just don't think he would do the things we need such as being a strong physical presence and clearing the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad