Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Plenty of players have been moved that have had NMC. If the Leafs and Marner aren't close on a contract, you don't think the Leafs look at moving him? Yes, Marner decides where he would go but to think just because he has a NMC means he's 100% non tradeable is incorrect.
He'll walk as a UFA if that's the case but it's doubtful it gets to that.

People say it happens all the time but there isn't one example of someone in his position waiving that I've seen.
He is 100% non tradeable.

Reactions: CincoHolio

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Do think he'd absolutely not waive it under any set of circumstances?
He has no need to waive. And if he did it would be to the location of his choice whether they had a strong trade offer or not.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
He has no need to waive. And if he did it would be to the location of his choice whether they had a strong trade offer or not.

need and want though..> I'm sure he could be compelled to waive if he knew he wasn't wanted on the team AND he was looking at netting > $0.5 to $1MM/year above what he's clearing now if he moved to a sunny state with lower taxes.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
need and want though..> I'm sure he could be compelled to waive if he knew he wasn't wanted on the team AND he was looking at netting > $0.5 to $1MM/year above what he's clearing now if he moved to a sunny state with lower taxes.
He'll just walk there as a UFA after hopefully a long playoff run.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

People say it happens all the time but there isn't one example of someone in his position waiving that I've seen.

Then he loses the extra year.

If he is all about the money.

Why would he demand to stay in Toronto for a year and only sign for 7 instead of 8.

Matthews is an exception. Not the rule.

Marner would be signing his extension at 28. Most players want an 8 year deal there.

The idea that Marner who was a basket case during his last negotiations would plan to play out the year here just because is silly
If he is leaving. Leave in the summer and start fresh

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Then he loses the extra year.

If he is all about the money.

Why would he demand to stay in Toronto for a year and only sign for 7 instead of 8.

Matthews is an exception. Not the rule.

Marner would be signing his extension at 28. Most players want an 8 year deal there.

The idea that Marner who was a basket case during his last negotiations would plan to play out the year here just because is silly
If he is leaving. Leave in the summer and start fresh
Certainly we can make up any number of scenarios. He could walk and sign a 3 year deal, 4 year, etc.
As much as people wish it for whatever bizarre reason they may have, he's not 'all about the money'.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
It’s definitely possible to trade Marner but very very very unlikely. JT is the one I’d try to move before any of the other 3.

Reactions: arso40

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

It’s definitely possible to trade Marner but very very very unlikely. JT is the one I’d try to move before any of the other 3.
JT isn't waiving either. If we resign Nylander, and I hope we do, we will still have the same core 4. Hopefully the combination of Nylander/Marner/JT's next contracts don't end up handcuffing us too much.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Certainly we can make up any number of scenarios. He could walk and sign a 3 year deal, 4 year, etc.
As much as people wish it for whatever bizarre reason they may have, he's not 'all about the money'.

Exactly.
You are talking in certainty.

You have no idea what he will do and talking like you know.

What we do know is he had a really hard time with the media. He wrote an apology and posted it on instagram for the fans.

The idea that he is going to go through a year of daily questions seems really unlikely to me.

JG going to Columbus seemed unlikely to me too so who knows.

As long as we agree we are all making up hypothetical scenarios no problem

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

JT isn't waiving either. If we resign Nylander, and I hope we do, we will still have the same core 4. Hopefully the combination of Nylander/Marner/JT's next contracts don't end up handcuffing us too much.
Tavares has one year left on his deal. The team is handcuffed for one year, it is not the end of the world.
The cap will also significantly jump next year. So long as they fill out some roster sports with Marliees (who are ready) for a year, the team should be fine.

My biggest worry is that they end up wasting whatever cap they do have on misfits (e.g. Reaves).

Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Exactly.
You are talking in certainty.

You have no idea what he will do and talking like you know.

What we do know is he had a really hard time with the media. He wrote an apology and posted it on instagram for the fans.

The idea that he is going to go through a year of daily questions seems really unlikely to me.

JG going to Columbus seemed unlikely to me too so who knows.

As long as we agree we are all making up hypothetical scenarios no problem
I have a pretty good idea and from everything I know he is not going anywhere.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I have a pretty good idea and from everything I know he is not going anywhere.

I thought your whole
Point was he is walking in a year if he can’t get a contract.

I believe he gets signed.

But if he isn’t signing I would be shocked to watch him deal with the last year and walk

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I thought your whole
Point was he is walking in a year if he can’t get a contract.

I believe he gets signed.

But if he isn’t signing I would be shocked to watch him deal with the last year and walk
If he doesn't get a contract he will have no option but to walk or retire. He's too young to retire.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

If we don't have any playoff success this year or next when he's under NMC I'd rather him walk as a UFA than pay him what he thinks he's worth, which according to reports on his last contract negotiation and the contract he eventually landed on, very close to what Matthews was given.

Marner at $11m-11.5m okay I can see that, Marner at anything approaching 12 and they gotta take that money and reallocate it on defense, preferably Theodore and/or one of the other (many) defensemen who are UFA the same time Marner is

Reactions: ACC1224

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
When Marner/Tavares expire, the cap could be over 90 million. It looks like its going to be around 87.5 or higher next year. That is a 4 million jump. Even if the jump isn't as big the year after, it will still probably go up. In trying to put together projections for 2025-2026 season, I would start with a cap of 89 million, but it could be higher.

So we may have to readjust our idea of what are acceptable contracts by then.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There is no way that Marner gets a raise, right?

He likely will but it probably won't be anywhere near as much as some think. Matthews for example only increased his aav by 1.6 mil. Probably somewhere in the 500k-1.5 mil range is what I'd expect in terms of the aav increase. No idea what the term will be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad