Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
View attachment 770809

I've come off my 9-9.5M range to 10M x 8 years, if this can't get it done and I am Treliving, I am prepared to move on.

You can likely get one of Reinhart or Lindholm for 7 years between 8.5-9.5M
This is the Nylander I have been waiting for he can carry a team on his back, those to can't for 2 or 2.5 more I want Willy.
In Sweden he showed me that his play rises to the occasion, he had so much pressure on him to perform he didn't break.
He has always been good in the playoffs but I think this year he will do something special .
He is driving to the net going into the dirty areas to score not to the perimeter
Will be watching really closely to see if he does it consistently against the tougher teams . Bruins and florida are our next to tougher opponents.
I think he will

Reactions: as Pure as Evil

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Huberdeau wasn’t really a 1 season splurge. It just looks that way because the previous two were covid-shortened schedules. In the 3 seasons before he was signed, Huberdeau was the third highest scorer in the league. Only McDavid and Draisaitl scored more.
Yes and Johnny G had a 99pt season on his resume, yet here they both are. What I was getting at was both great offensive talents who had outlier seasons in a contract year. What would have been the likely cost of signing both the season before? Or Kadri?

I don't expect Willie to crash but its valid to say that having a career year at 27 is usually not the same as at 22-23 for purposes of repeating it. He will want to be paid as though this is his go forward production level tho, same as Huberdeau did. Career year and back to a ppg next or breakout season at 27? Even if its a breakout year none of these guys have actually torn it up Kane style in the playoffs so squeezing him into the cap structure guarantees nothing in the post season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It hasn't worked but it wasn't because of the top players receiving a little too much money. It's a lot more complicated than that. I'd rather overpay Nylander by 1M than to overpay some UFA that can barely score 60 points by 1M... or to give some 36 year old face puncher that 1M savings. Spreading out 10M is what gets you Bertuzzi and Klingberg. Or Orlov and Gudas. Oh boy... sure hope we don't overpay Nylander.

Agents represent the players. If Nylander wants to make it happen, and the Leafs are also serious, it'll happen. But because they wanted to play hard ball, they are now in a situation where we might have to walk away.

Yep. If the difference in the sides 250k-1mil you find a way to make it work.

There's no way I'll be happy if they let Willy walk just to give a couple of 30+ year old free agents 4-5 mil deals and watch them flop

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yep. If the difference in the sides 250k-1mil you find a way to make it work.

There's no way I'll be happy if they let Willy walk just to give a couple of 30+ year old free agents 4-5 mil deals and watch them flop

Yeah for everyone freaking out about how much money we have to pay players, they’re skipping over the slightly more important step of having players worth paying in the first place. Tampa doesn’t have Hedman and Vasi because they saved a mil on Stamkos Kuch and Point, they drafted them first and found the money later.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Signing Nylander is a must. He is the one player on this team, and yes that includes Matthews, that can truly take over a game when he feels like it. There's a very limited amount of players in the league that can do what Nylander does. His skating, his shot, his playmaking, etc. If you gave me a choice between Nylander and Marner, I'm taking Nylander 100% of the time.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Signing Nylander is a must. He is the one player on this team, and yes that includes Matthews, that can truly take over a game when he feels like it. There's a very limited amount of players in the league that can do what Nylander does. His skating, his shot, his playmaking, etc. If you gave me a choice between Nylander and Marner, I'm taking Nylander 100% of the time.
I agree. You basically build the top line around Matthews and the second line around Nylander. Gives you two very dangerous lines.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Yes and Johnny G had a 99pt season on his resume, yet here they both are. What I was getting at was both great offensive talents who had outlier seasons in a contract year. What would have been the likely cost of signing both the season before? Or Kadri?

I don't expect Willie to crash but its valid to say that having a career year at 27 is usually not the same as at 22-23 for purposes of repeating it. He will want to be paid as though this is his go forward production level tho, same as Huberdeau did. Career year and back to a ppg next or breakout season at 27? Even if its a breakout year none of these guys have actually torn it up Kane style in the playoffs so squeezing him into the cap structure guarantees nothing in the post season.
But the way they were doing is visibly different

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
While 88s play has increased his contract value it has also increased his trade value. If he doesn’t come off his ask I would dangle him to Nashville for Saros or Askarov plus a good young D Like Fabbro. Maybe Evangelista.

Look to sign Stamkos. Keep some powder dry if Mcdavid becomes a real option in a few years. This is going to be a tough call for Brad. If this really is the new and improved 88 he will be hard to walk away from.

This is where a gm earns his money.

Last edited:
Reactions: meefer and arso40

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
That usually happens in a contract year.

Reactions: rumman

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Off season moves-

To Toronto-
Noah Dobson

To Islanders-
Mitch Marner

Resign Nylander 7yrs x 10.5 million
Sign Teuvo Teravainen 5 yrs x 6 million
Sign Monahan 3yrs x 3 million
Sign Elias Lindholm 7yrs x 8.5 million
Sign Zadorov 4 yrs x 4 million

Knies-Matthews-Teravainen
Tavares-Lindholm-Nylander
Robertson- Monahan-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Kampf-McMann

Rielly-Dobson
Zadorov-Liljegren
Lagerrson-McCabe

Now before anyone says what about the cap, with all the money going out this year,

Money out-
Bertuzzi 5 mil
Domi 3 mil
Marner 10.90 mil
Brodie 5 mil
Klingberg 4.15 mil
Total = 28.08 mil

Money in-
Nylander 3.58 mil additional to current cap
Teravainen 6 mil
Monahan 3 mil
Lindholm 8.5 mil
Zadorov 4mil
Dobson 4 mil
Total = 29.08

That's an additional 1 million on the current cap. Next year's cap is roughly around 88 million. Add Matthews 1.6 mil increase and we're still roughly 3 million under the cap

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Off season moves-

To Toronto-
Noah Dobson

To Islanders-
Mitch Marner

Resign Nylander 7yrs x 10.5 million
Sign Teuvo Teravainen 5 yrs x 6 million
Sign Monahan 3yrs x 3 million
Sign Elias Lindholm 7yrs x 8.5 million
Sign Zadorov 4 yrs x 4 million

Knies-Matthews-Teravainen
Tavares-Lindholm-Nylander
Robertson- Monahan-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Kampf-McMann

Rielly-Dobson
Zadorov-Liljegren
Lagerrson-McCabe

Now before anyone says what about the cap, with all the money going out this year,

Money out-
Bertuzzi 5 mil
Domi 3 mil
Marner 10.90 mil
Brodie 5 mil
Klingberg 4.15 mil
Total = 28.08 mil

Money in-
Nylander 3.58 mil additional to current cap
Teravainen 6 mil
Monahan 3 mil
Lindholm 8.5 mil
Zadorov 4mil
Dobson 4 mil
Total = 29.08

That's an additional 1 million on the current cap. Next year's cap is roughly around 88 million. Add Matthews 1.6 mil increase and we're still roughly 3 million under the cap
How could you forget that Marner = NMC?

Reactions: Smif

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I can't see why he would. Has any player in his circumstance waived?

Is his circumstance specifically having the NMC or having that and being a local guy?

Finding guys that have historically waived their NMCs would be tedious

Getzlaf was willing to waive for Vegas for one last shot but they couldn't get a deal done. (Pending UFA, retirement too)

Taylor Hall waived for Chicago (That would be tough, finally on a good team going to a bad one, closest one)

Kane waived for NYR (he chose his spot, pending UFA, not really the same as Marner)

Giroux and Hayes waived their NMC, Giroux was a pending UFA though

Karlsson actively wanted out of SJS

OEL waived for Vancouver (then was bought out)

Hall or OEL seem like the only close comparables. Hayes maybe but was in decline.

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Is his circumstance specifically having the NMC or having that and being a local guy?

Finding guys that have historically waived their NMCs would be tedious

Getzlaf was willing to waive for Vegas for one last shot but they couldn't get a deal done. (Pending UFA, retirement too)

Taylor Hall waived for Chicago (That would be tough, finally on a good team going to a bad one, closest one)

Kane waived for NYR (he chose his spot, pending UFA, not really the same as Marner)

Giroux and Hayes waived their NMC, Giroux was a pending UFA though

Karlsson actively wanted out of SJS

OEL waived for Vancouver (then was bought out)

Hall or OEL seem like the only close comparables. Hayes maybe but was in decline.
NMC, local guy, on a 'contender', playing with his buddy's he grew up with.
There are no comparables that I've ever seen.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
NMC, local guy, on a 'contender', playing with his buddy's he grew up with.
There are no comparables that I've ever seen.

That should help us on the next contract if he doesn't want to leave lol.

Who's the buddies though? Domi is about the only guy that has links back to the London days but he's apart of the core now and would be tight with Matthews most likely.

Reactions: supermann_98

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That should help us on the next contract if he doesn't want to leave lol.

Who's the buddies though? Domi is about the only guy that has links back to the London days but he's apart of the core now and would be tight with Matthews most likely.
Meant 'grew up' as an NHL player. He's tight with all the players and the whole organization.
As much as some have this weird impression of him based on nothing, he's a very popular part of the organization.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Meant 'grew up' as an NHL player. He's tight with all the players and the whole organization.
As much as some have this weird impression of him based on nothing, he's a very popular part of the organization.

Ah.

I'm okay with him staying if the price is right, IE, not much more than he's currently pulling because age decline will come.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Ah.

I'm okay with him staying if the price is right, IE, not much more than he's currently pulling because age decline will come.
Still lots of time to worry about his next contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad