Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Because players don't get pay cuts? He hasn't gotten better in fact may have gotten worst.
How is a 2 x 1st team all-star RW deserving of a pay cut? Just to get the same % on an $87.5 million cap, Marner would get $11.7.

I guess the list will grow again, as the lies/untruths and general lack of knowledge here are staggering and people have zero basis in reality anymore.

That's why so many good posters have bailed and moved from this site.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He likely will but it probably won't be anywhere near as much as some think. Matthews for example only increased his aav by 1.6 mil. Probably somewhere in the 500k-1.5 mil range is what I'd expect in terms of the aav increase. No idea what the term will be
He will probably want 12M x 4 years and then try for a 3rd 10M+ deal after like Matthews

Works out the basically the same though if he goes 8 years 11.5M =92M

Vs 12M x 4 and then 10.5M x 4 = 90M

So we might get 8 years from him at 11.5ish

Reactions: Menzinger

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He will probably want 12M x 4 years and then try for a 3rd 10M+ deal after like Matthews

That's a pay cut - 13.38% of the $87.5 cap (his current hit percentage) works out to $11.7 million and there will be another cap raise too, before he signs.

It's going to be more in the $12 million range I suspect.

Last edited:

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
87.5 M is the projected cap for the beginning of the 2024-2025 season. Unless there is a more recent update I missed.

Marner's deal expires in the summer of 2025.
The cap for the beginning of the 2025-2026 season could easily be 89 M or higher.

Reactions: Menzinger and kb

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Long ways away, but one thing worth noting about Marner's UFA summer is he's potentially hitting the market along with Mikko Rantanen and Leon Draisaitl at the top end of the forward market, guys in their prime from the same age group.

If the Leafs have Matthews and Nylander locked in, maybe Marner won't be bargaining from a position of strength. Who knows.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
That's a pay cut - 13.38% of the $87.5 cap (his current hit percentage) works out to $11.7 million and there will be another cap raise too, before he signs.

It's going to be more in the $12 million range I suspect.
Nylander should be an internal comp as well

If nylander has a better year by a fair bot then him this year and comes in at 10M then Marner should be fine woth 11.5M

Its only 500K but it would be an appreciated gesture to give it back to the team

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Nylander should be an internal comp as well

If nylander has a better year by a fair bot then him this year and comes in at 10M then Marner should be fine woth 11.5M

Its only 500K but it would be an appreciated gesture to give it back to the team
Huh? He’s not taking 10 I mean I hope he does but if I was him I wouldn’t

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
How is a 2 x 1st team all-star RW deserving of a pay cut? Just to get the same % on an $87.5 million cap, Marner would get $11.7.

I guess the list will grow again, as the lies/untruths and general lack of knowledge here are staggering and people have zero basis in reality anymore.

That's why so many good posters have bailed and moved from this site.
Because his initial contract was an overpayment

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Huh? He’s not taking 10 I mean I hope he does but if I was him I wouldn’t
It’s been 17 games man
We leafs fans get so excitted easily about regular season and early success

His rate will settle, be patient
If it doesn’t he has to take matthew’s money and we can’t afford that
Playoffs will bring everyone back to earth

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I really think peeke could be a good project that wouldn’t cost us much seems like it’s very crowded there and they wanna move out the right shots he would be my picc and he’s young enough to really develope into something with work and time seems like a good kid

Reactions: LeafSteel

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I mean that the media is pumping up Nylanders contract but they don’t care about other teams ufa players off to hot starts (Reinhart for example).

If Reinhart somehow finishes with over 100 points I doubt people will be talking about him getting an absurd contract.
I think Petey is the guy the medias are not even reporting right now.
He is a RFa and literally said in the summer, he will only resign if the team is heading into the right direction.
Nucks hot start, crickets. Petey hot start, crickets again.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Just saying if Klingberg is in fact stuck on Robidas island, conveniently there’s cap space to sign kane 😂

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Domi - Kane
Gregor/McMann - Kampf - Jarnkrok

3 legit scoring threats and an actual defensive 4th line.

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Gio - Timmins
Lagesson

Sammy/Woll

But is that D good enough.

Reactions: arso40

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Because his initial contract was an overpayment
If that number include the ECL bonus money Lou denied him and his Dad bitched about, do we have to pay him those bonuses again? He should get paid based on the numbers he puts up this season if he signs in July 2024 or next season if after. If he plays like he has this year, he's not getting $11m from me. He'll have to take a paycut or look elsewhere.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I really think peeke could be a good project that wouldn’t cost us much seems like it’s very crowded there and they wanna move out the right shots he would be my picc and he’s young enough to really develope into something with work and time seems like a good kid

Peeke probably doesn't really move the needle on any of our current RHD. Now that Severson is injured long-term, maybe he'll be able to play more consistently though and we'll see how he does.

The Leafs have Timmins back, and both Benoit and Lagesson have shown to be capable defensemen as well. When Liljegren gets back, the Leafs will have a very crowded blueline. So any sort of trade needs to be about adding quality, not just an average/sideways addition.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If the Preds offered Luke Schenn for a third, would you do it?

Nope. I wouldn't offer anything more than fodder, like a conditional pick and/or a throwaway prospect like Schingoethe. That term is awful and he's only played 1 NHL game this year. Imagine how many 1st round picks we'd have to throw in to get rid of a 2.75M defenseman signed for 2 more seasons?

I'd love Schenn back but that contract is no bueno. I'm happy he got term and money, but he left a very good situation for it. Giving up good assets to take him back isn't good business.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
If the Preds offered Luke Schenn for a third, would you do it?
He’s also been injured all of this season and who knows how he will come back from that.

As someone else said, for 50% and giving a very mediocre pick like a 5th it would be worth it I guess.

Also based on all of RoR, Acciari, and Schenn leaving it sounds like they didn’t really like being here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad