Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So if GMs think Willie deserves $15m and we get him for $12-14m, we should be happy ? Sorry, maybe I do not understand your question, "Wouldn't that make the Leafs look good to their fans when it comes in under that number?".
He's not getting 15 or 12-14.

If someone tweets out he could get 11.5 and he gets 10.5 the average fan will think the Leafs got a bit of a deal.

Reactions: ToneDog

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Like mentioned earlier in this thread there’s barely any mention of Reinharts hot start. The media are the ones that screw us over with all of this chatter.

Reactions: supermann_98

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Like mentioned earlier in this thread there’s barely any mention of Reinharts hot start. The media are the ones that screw us over with all of this chatter.
Why would anyone in this market care about Reinharts hot start? How does this screw the Leafs over? (honestly, I don't get it)

Reactions: Rocker13

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Why would anyone in this market care about Reinharts hot start? How does this screw the Leafs over? (honestly, I don't get it)

I mean that the media is pumping up Nylanders contract but they don’t care about other teams ufa players off to hot starts (Reinhart for example).

If Reinhart somehow finishes with over 100 points I doubt people will be talking about him getting an absurd contract.

horner

May 22, 2007
Unless it comes out that he wants like 10.5-11M then at that point, we simply can't afford it.

This is Nylander's career year.

What's likely is you get the Nylander for the previous 1 or 2 seasons for 3-5 years and the final 2-3 years of it could end up looking so-so but that's the price you pay when guys are going into their 30s.
That is the point where JT's contract comes for renewal 5 mil * 2 yrs
Pavelski seems to be fine with it

Next yr
ELC's
Knies Cowen Minten Kokkonen Holmberg McMann

Waive
Reeves 200 thousand against the

Trade
Kampf

Sign 2 UFA's
Defenceman
Forwardè

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I mean that the media is pumping up Nylanders contract but they don’t care about other teams ufa players off to hot starts (Reinhart for example).

If Reinhart somehow finishes with over 100 points I doubt people will be talking about him getting an absurd contract.
It's no surprise that in the leagues biggest market the media discusses this. We've had thousands of posts here alone and this is just from a small percentage of fans. Does the Florida board even have a Reinhart thread?

If Reinahart does that and makes it to UFA they will.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It should have done last off-season when both sides were open to sign. I think if the Leafs are offering 10M and change for 8 years, it'll get done.

We definitely can afford it. I'd rather overpay a star by 1-2M or so than not have them around, especially if it stops the GM from chasing Reaves and Klingbergs.

The only thing is we had that attitude the 1st time around with these players, it didn't work either.

Tree is screwed either way, on the one hand, you let him walk and that's Gaudreau and Nylander that go.

Or we overpay and then have a shit time with Marner re-signing.

I feel like we can probably try for Reinhart (inflated shooting %) or Lindholm 7 years at 8.5-9.5M versus Nylander at 10.5-11M for 8 years.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The only thing is we had that attitude the 1st time around with these players, it didn't work either.

Tree is screwed either way, on the one hand, you let him walk and that's Gaudreau and Nylander that go.

Or we overpay and then have a shit time with Marner re-signing.

I feel like we can probably try for Reinhart (inflated shooting %) or Lindholm 7 years at 8.5-9.5M versus Nylander at 10.5-11M for 8 years.

It's the attitude that should always be had. Overpay top end players if you have to, the rest will fall into place. This is what happens when you play the "let's wait and see how he does " game instead of giving them a little more at the time. GMs waste so much cap space on terrible players that it almost saves them sometimes anyway.

Treliving is definitely not screwed. He had plenty of options last off-season. He chose this route. All he has to do now is get him signed. It's that simple. If he doesn't, it's on him. If he wasn't serious about going this route, he should have traded him in the off-season. But he didn't. Now Nylander is having another career year... He made his bed.

But obviously there's always a limit but that limit shouldn't be an issue if both sides are serious at making it happen. Like Boston and Pastrnak were serious and made it happen. Seems like both sides are very serious about making it happen, so it's finding something that is fair.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocker13

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's the attitude that should always be had. Overpay top end players if you have to, the rest will fall into place. This is what happens when you play the "let's wait and see how he does " game instead of giving them a little more at the time. GMs waste so much cap space on terrible players that it almost saves them sometimes anyway.

Treliving is definitely not screwed. He had plenty of options last off-season. He chose this route. All he has to do now is get him signed. It's that simple. If he doesn't, it's on him. If he wasn't serious about going this route, he should have traded him in the off-season. But he didn't. Now Nylander is having another career year... Make it happen.

But obviously there's always a limit but that limit shouldn't be an issue if both sides are serious at making it happen. Like Boston and Pastrnak were serious and made it happen. Seems like both sides are very serious about making it happen, so it's finding something that is fair.

Not trying to be a dick here but it clearly hasn't, we've been too top heavy to flesh out a roster for years.

To your second point, yes, the wait and see game has burned Dubas and probably Treliving now.

The only issue is, how genuine is Lewis Gross when negotiating? If we're being told Pastrnak is the comparable or they're walking, we're f***ed and it's setting a bad precedence.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Not trying to be a dick here but it clearly hasn't, we've been too top heavy to flesh out a roster for years.

To your second point, yes, the wait and see game has burned Dubas and probably Treliving now.

The only issue is, how genuine is Lewis Gross when negotiating? If we're being told Pastrnak is the comparable or theyr'e walking, we're f***ed and it's setting a bad precedence.
Calling a bluff is risky business and you had better be prepared for the consequence.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Calling a bluff is risky business and you had better be prepared for the consequence.

We do...but we should have called it when they were RFA vs UFA.

Marner is probably the best example of this, who was giving him 11M? No one. It took how many years later and a 60 goal season by Pastrnak to hit 11.25M

Now they're UFA so if you blink, maybe they do go...maybe they don't.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Before the season the Nylander camp wanted 10 mil x 8, Tre & Leaf camp was stuck at 9 mil.

Currently, there is some contact but I think the Leafs want to give a bit of time before going fully for it. Off-season Tre was pissed and didn't want to budge, rightfully so due to the high price.

Where is this from?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I knew they would have to trade him. Once they lose in the playoffs again this stupid overpaid 4 crap is done. Pejorative Slured model.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Marner is probably the best example of this, who was giving him 11M? No one. It took how many years later and a 60 goal season by Pastrnak to hit 11.25M

Ummmmm global pandemic?

Reactions: Smif

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Didn't need to when RFA as they had no leverage. I think we all knew Dubas' mishandling of that would come back and bite them, we're seeing that now.

Reactions: LeafSteel

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ummmmm global pandemic?

Every team was effected, we (Dubas), was just dumber.

Didn't need to when RFA as they had no leverage. I think we all knew Dubas' mishandling of that would come back and bite them, we're seeing that now.

Yep.

I'm just saying the LeBrun article was bananas and if it's 11M x 8....thanks but no thanks, enjoy wherever the hell is willing to pay that.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Yep.

I'm just saying the LeBrun article was bananas and if it's 11M x 8....thanks but no thanks, enjoy wherever the hell is willing to pay that.
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 11.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Yep.

Wtf man? You can absolutely say that Marner should have less based on his comparables at the time (rantanen) even after making him whole on the SB Lou lied about.

But to compare the salary landscape pre pandemic to contracts signed mid frozen cap pandemic is nuts.

Compare contracts signed the. The same year/conditions.

Ie: Jones. We’re ski. Nurse. Vs Rielly.

Marner vs rantanen.

Nylander this year to guentzel/aho/ lindholm

Reactions: meefer and Smif

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Wtf man? You can absolutely say that Marner should have less based on his comparables at the time (rantanen) even after making him whole on the SB Lou lied about.

But to compare the salary landscape pre pandemic to contracts signed mid frozen cap pandemic is nuts.

Compare contracts signed the. The same year/conditions.

Ie: Jones. We’re ski. Nurse. Vs Rielly.

Marner vs rantanen.

Nylander this year to guentzel/aho/ lindholm

Rantanen signed after Marner set the bar high for him.

1700580894443.png

1700580874388.png

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The only issue is, how genuine is Lewis Gross when negotiating? If we're being told Pastrnak is the comparable or they're walking, we're f***ed and it's setting a bad precedence.

It hasn't worked but it wasn't because of the top players receiving a little too much money. It's a lot more complicated than that. I'd rather overpay Nylander by 1M than to overpay some UFA that can barely score 60 points by 1M... or to give some 36 year old face puncher that 1M savings. Spreading out 10M is what gets you Bertuzzi and Klingberg. Or Orlov and Gudas. Oh boy... sure hope we don't overpay Nylander.

Agents represent the players. If Nylander wants to make it happen, and the Leafs are also serious, it'll happen. But because they wanted to play hard ball, they are now in a situation where we might have to walk away.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Rantanen signed after Marner set the bar high for him.

View attachment 771215

View attachment 771214

Yes.
And Marner was overpaid compared to him.
The same off season. The same state of play.
No one signs at the exact same time.

That is a valid comparison.

Comparing Marner to all the players signed in a pandemic flat cap where owners lost hundreds of millions is no where near the same and not a valid comparison

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Isn't paying Nylander $11.M for one big season a bit like giving MVP money to Huberdeau or Gaudreau after their monster years? Kadri was on a pace for almost 100pts. JT Miller? He was 99pts and is tearing it up again but is he $11M? Is Van on the fast track to a Cup? If another exec is saying that kind of stuff I think he is just dreaming the Leafs would do something that stupid and be bringing Morgan and the castoff D into the playoffs every season for his club to wail on.

One big year is great for trade value but for a club that has mortgaged so much on a top heavy lineup it doesn't make sense to do that again. It is possible that he has risen to a new level but it is a lot more likely it is a Gaudreau spike (except Johnny had a 99pt year on his resume) and they end up with another star who can't quite live up to his paycheck.

I love to watch Willie cook and i wish it were a choice between him and Mitch but I think its more like do they stay with the Dubas road map for success or not? The team has no value deals. Nobody has left any money on the table. That needs to change.

Huberdeau wasn’t really a 1 season splurge. It just looks that way because the previous two were covid-shortened schedules. In the 3 seasons before he was signed, Huberdeau was the third highest scorer in the league. Only McDavid and Draisaitl scored more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad