Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
With the money the Leafs paid for Klingberg, Reaves and Kampf, we could've brought back Schenn, Accari, and O'Reilly.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Tavares-O'Rielly-Nylander
Bertuzzi-Domi-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Accari-Lafferty

Rielly-Schenn
Brodie-Liljegren
Giordano-McCabe

Big difference if you ask me

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
With the money the Leafs paid for Klingberg, Reaves and Kampf, we could've brought back Schenn, Accari, and O'Reilly.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Accari-Lafferty

Rielly-Schenn
Brodie-Liljegren
Giordano-McCabe

Except ROR was never coming back. He is the most valuable of those 3. The other two could have and should have bene replaced with better fits… although Gudas didn’t want to come either.

Reactions: Super Mega

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Accari-Lafferty

Rielly-Schenn
Brodie-Liljegren
Giordano-McCabe

Schenn, Acciari and ROR come with a lot more term too for a few older guys. If you assume Reaves will be buried in the minors at some point which may swallow up his entire contract in the future.

I know it sucks thinking about the next few years instead of looking just at the immediate season at hand and and contending this very season but we have a pretty damn clean cap situation after this season and I think that has always been pretty important given the need to sign Matthews, Willie and Marner and not knowing where they were gonna end up # wise and all the uncertainty the Leafs have with the big 4 (obviously we got Matthews signed later in the summer).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think we can treat the Swedish trip as some kind of reward or field trip for children.

Klingberg and Reaves straight up suck and they need to get them off the team asap or we're gonna miss the playoffs.

Reactions: arso40 and TMLAM34

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I don't think we can treat the Swedish trip as some kind of reward or field trip for children.

Klingberg and Reaves straight up suck and they need to get them off the team asap or we're gonna miss the playoffs.
There is zero chance Klingberg (or Reaves) are moved before the Global Series. We'll be adding bodies to the roster not moving them out for the trip (can't remember if we just get an expanded roster limit or a taxi squad/Black Aces), and moving Klingberg just before a trip to his home country would make me question when Mike Babcock joined our front office. I suspect Holmberg will be called up for it too

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
There is zero chance Klingberg (or Reaves) are moved before the Global Series. We'll be adding bodies to the roster not moving them out for the trip (can't remember if we just get an expanded roster limit or a taxi squad/Black Aces), and moving Klingberg just before a trip to his home country would make me question when Mike Babcock joined our front office. I suspect Holmberg will be called up for it too

Babcock was being a dick.

Klingberg and Reaves are literally not NHL calibre right now, big difference.

Reactions: arso40

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

I don't think we're in serious danger of that - we have the firepower to score our way to the post season. But we all know what happens once we get there. I agree we desperately need to add a top-4 D of quality, which is why I don't think we're going to like when it happens - we're desperate. Every GM in the league knows that when we have guys like Benoit, Lagesson, Klingberg, and Lajoie in our lineup.

Reactions: uncleben

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think we're in serious danger of that - we have the firepower to score our way to the post season. But we all know what happens once we get there. I agree we desperately need to add a top-4 D of quality, which is why I don't think we're going to like when it happens - we're desperate. Every GM in the league knows that when we have guys like Benoit, Lagesson, Klingberg, and Lajoie in our lineup.

Addition by subtraction is a real thing ;)

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
We're definitely in serious danger. God forbid are scoring slows down which you can count on it happening eventually. Matthews and Nylander aren't going to score every game and with the lack of secondary scoring, we're in trouble. That's just on the offense. The defense itself currently is in the bottom 5 of the league. Sure you can point to the injuries to Liljegren and McCabe, but even when they were in the lineup, we were still getting killed defensively. There's zero structure to this team. It's just not 1 issue, its multiple issues. Let's not forget either, we're operating at a 95 million dollar cap too. Sure you can't point to Muzzin and Murray being on the LTIR but that right there is 11 million we spent not improving our team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

They have been terrible, no doubt and wouldn't be missed but Reaves is not the reason they are losing every night.

Reactions: Mad hatter

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Accari-Lafferty

Rielly-Schenn
Brodie-Liljegren
Giordano-McCabe

ROR+Schenn+Acciari=9.25M
Klingberg+Kampf+Reaves=7.9M

Unfortunately the Leafs could not have afforded that given how tight they are to the cap. Now if you include Lafferty staying and not signing Domi then they could have saved 500k.

Reactions: Jmo89

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Lagesson has been our best dman if you ask me (eye test). I really like how composed he is out there. Makes a lot of safe smart plays. And he hits!

weems

Jul 3, 2008
This 4 forwards, 1 Defence, 0 goalies build doesn't feel like its going to lead to a championship.

Especially when that one defenceman isn't a Norris candidate.

Our management/ownership has pushed the belief it's going to work and it's just a matter of time but now that seems unrealistic.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
We're definitely in serious danger. God forbid are scoring slows down which you can count on it happening eventually. Matthews and Nylander aren't going to score every game and with the lack of secondary scoring, we're in trouble. That's just on the offense. The defense itself currently is in the bottom 5 of the league. Sure you can point to the injuries to Liljegren and McCabe, but even when they were in the lineup, we were still getting killed defensively. There's zero structure to this team. It's just not 1 issue, its multiple issues. Let's not forget either, we're operating at a 95 million dollar cap too. Sure you can't point to Muzzin and Murray being on the LTIR but that right there is 11 million we spent not improving our team.

Yeah its not pretty, agreed.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
They should have traded Nylander last year, they didn't, so then you should have traded marner, now they can't, Logically you let it play out and expect a different result from the same group (they lose to the cup final team every year argument ) or you trade Nylander at less value cause now he's a rental or traded as a 10 mill player

my vote is for trading Nylander, he's hot, maybe a team would bite, get multiple pieces bring in some youth, hungry players or maybe hockey move with a team like Panthers, Ekblad for Nylander

They need scoring, Montour has taken that next step, OEL has been solid and they have Forlsing

Ekblad and Knight for Nylander
Then try and flip Samsonov or Wall to AHL

• Haha
Reactions: TimeZone

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
They should have traded Nylander last year, they didn't, so then you should have traded marner, now they can't, Logically you let it play out and expect a different result from the same group (they lose to the cup final team every year argument ) or you trade Nylander at less value cause now he's a rental or traded as a 10 mill player

my vote is for trading Nylander, he's hot, maybe a team would bite, get multiple pieces bring in some youth, hungry players or maybe hockey move with a team like Panthers, Ekblad for Nylander

They need scoring, Montour has taken that next step, OEL has been solid and they have Forlsing

Its the only real chance they have at acquiring solid depth pieces to compliment the core. If they can turn Nylander into 2 depth pieces that can help how - one on the blue line and one up front - then that may help.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: TimeZone and arso40

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Its the only real chance they have at acquiring solid depth pieces to compliment the core. If they can turn Nylander into 2 depth pieces that can help how - one on the blue line and one up front - then that may help.

Nylander is the core...

We should not be trading the teams second best player for "depth pieces" because the current GM is incapable of finding those on his own.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They have been terrible, no doubt and wouldn't be missed but Reaves is not the reason they are losing every night.

He's a big contributor, we get caved in his (limited) minutes and for a while there, averaged at least a goal against every game with him. Minimal physical presence too.

Klingberg is the biggest problem of course but they're both not playing like NHL caliber players, we have Marlies that are better.

horner

May 22, 2007
Would rather sign Willy for 10 mil
Willy is exactly the player I wanted him to be . I would have traded him 2 yrs ago but not now.

We have quality players on ELC contract
Knies ( now ) Cowen Minten Grebyonkin ( in 2 yrs )

We need one forward next yr .

Now we need to build the defence
Pesce Hanifin Skejc Demelo Zadorov
if we can sign 2 of these UFA's and make a trade for a young dman

This yr I don't think is the time to do anything our d has to many holes .

To me Cowen and Minten changed everything.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He's a big contributor, we get caved in his (limited) minutes and for a while there, averaged at least a goal against every game with him. Minimal physical presence too.

Klingberg is the biggest problem of course but they're both not playing like NHL caliber players, we have Marlies that are better.
Sure they're all contributing to it but he's not on the ice alone. Removing him from the equation, although he should be, will have minimal impact IMO.
Klingberg on the other hand.......

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Lagesson has been our best dman if you ask me (eye test). I really like how composed he is out there. Makes a lot of safe smart plays. And he hits!
That’s the problem, hope he can continue making the rest of the D look bad……..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad