Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Johnston's latest has the Leafs as a potential landing spot for Patrick Kane

Toronto Maple Leafs

Admittedly a longer-shot contender in this process, the possibility can’t be ruled out entirely.

What the Leafs don’t have is cap space or a gaping need for what Kane does best since they’re already rolling out Mitch Marner and William Nylander on right wing — who would come off the top power-play unit to make room for him? — but they do boast an appealing sell in the form of fellow American Auston Matthews. Matthews grew up idolizing Kane, so there could be some sentimental appeal for everyone involved with bringing that duo together.

It’s also notable that Kane spent a considerable amount of time in the Greater Toronto Area while rehabbing and recovering from hip surgery in recent months. Still, the four teams listed above are considered more likely destinations for No. 88 to land.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
The amount of people jumping on the "moving Laff was a bad idea" train is laughable. At the time the move was made, a large portion of this board was all for moving him to save cap space. Everything he brought to this team was easily replaceable by cheaper, younger players. I'm not a fan of most of the moves Tre has made, but this is the one move that made total sense.

To me his point totals are a product of being on a hot team. I can say with certainty he wouldn't have put up those numbers on the Leafs.
I can’t speak to the others you are referencing here “jumping on” the Lafferty train, but I’ve been consistent in wanting him here, back to before the TDL’s last year, nor was I advocating moving him this season.

Expectations of what he was always seemed out there. He’s a solid 4th liner, great at nothing specific but served a purpose and fine in the 4th line without being a liability.

Funny how Kerfoot was fine to deliver nothing consistent for $3.5, but Lafferty, meh, not so much.

I don’t think his success is a one off. The guy works hard and he’s being rewarded for it, both in TOI and goals.

We’ve done worse.

Anyways, hopefully one of our Marlies can nail down a spot and that 5th rounder turns out to be the steal of the Draft for us. :)

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
wonder if the leafs poach something off the scrap heap in Calgary; Hanifin, Zadorov?

Zadorov would be nice for the 3rd pairing, but who knows what they're asking. I do think this team isn't going anywhere without upgrading their top4 this season though.

Reactions: arso40

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Trade 1: Reaves+NYI 3rd to SJ for Benning
Trade 2: Klingberg+X(ideally not a 1st) to CGY for Zadorov
Trade 3: Kampf+24 1st to PHI for Laughton

Cap in: 8M
Cap out: 7.9M

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Gonna need to do a lot of heavy lifting to fix this catastrophe. Reaves should be waived in favour of McMann and Klingberg needs to get off this team right to the f*** now. Don't know how you pull off the latter but he's a detriment to this team. Leafs would be better off letting Rielly run PP1 again and letting a healthy Timmins run PP2, as rare as Timmins being healthy is it's still a better plan.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Reaves and Klingberg need to get off this roster.
Nobody will touch Reaves

Klingberg with a pick attached will be able to be offloaded.

Leafs need to to deal with a team that isn’t gunning for anything other than the basement this season. Calgary, SJ, St Louis, Columbus, Philly could all be trading partners.

Buy low scenarios are the only options as we have no attractive assets other than a few picks and mediocre prospects.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Gonna need to do a lot of heavy lifting to fix this catastrophe. Reaves should be waived in favour of McMann and Klingberg needs to get off this team right to the f*** now. Don't know how you pull off the latter but he's a detriment to this team. Leafs would be better off letting Rielly run PP1 again and letting a healthy Timmins run PP2, as rare as Timmins being healthy is it's still a better plan.
Timmy is better than him we’ll be fine when he’s off this team

Reactions: Kurtz

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Damn
At the time the sharks would give him away for free eating up some of his contract and I was all for it everyone on here were so aggressively against it

What losing does eh
It’s what I hoped to avoid
How thing change
Get over it with the being a horrible human being BS. Multiple players in the NHL have done some pretty stupid crap, Kane's drama was just glorified for whatever reason

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Have to stop the bleeding sooner rather than later on this blueline.

We need some more defensively inclined players, not just on defense, but up front too.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
There are no quick short term fixes for this tire fire defence. Should really sell off one year deals and recoup assets instead of just tossing more away imo. Figure out a plan to completely over haul the d during next summer. Getting tired of "rewarding" this group when they repay you with nothing.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Damn
At the time the sharks would give him away for free eating up some of his contract and I was all for it everyone on here were so aggressively against it

What losing does eh
It’s what I hoped to avoid
How thing change
This has nothing to do with losing actually. I've been saying we should've been after Kane for awhile now. He's a great top 6 NHL player.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Think we need a full scale rebuild.
Don't need a rebuild, need a retool. Seriously shop Willy around to see what you could get for him. If it's not good enough then see what he wants to reup. If it's too much then just deal him as a rental. Sell off bertuzzi. If Domi plays alright can consider keeping him around. Start planning ways to fix this God awful d.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad