Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
The worst thing that could happen is Reaves retires, which at that point the Leafs can't waive his salary to the minors since he's a 35+ age contract.

I do hope they don't hesitate to waive him if it comes to it. I hope Reaves is ready to do what Simmonds was willing to do.
i think this year only 1.1 can be buried, but i thought it rises with the cap, so maybe in next couple years his whole salary can be buried.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
At the end of the day, we didn't have money to keep Lafferty. So, the worst forward on the roster was basically the choice we made over him.

That is Reaves and it is going to be Reaves until we move him. Maybe next year we can send him down with no cap hit. This year he costs us $300K even if we waive and demote him. I get that that was supposed to change things around here. Right now, it feels like the same Leafs...just ask Marchand.

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Tavares Nylander
Robertson Domi Gregor/Lafferty
Jarnkrok Kampf Gregor/Lafferty

Seems to make a whole lot more sense. We could have a useful bottom six. We could even move around our top nine to get three scoring lines with balance and some defensive conscience.
I get what you're saying but the choice was to keep some type of muscle on the roster, Lafferty isn't that.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Yeah it's definitely the Reaves over Lafferty decision that should be 100% questioned. Reaves is already started to get benched and he can't even play more than 5-6 minutes a game. No impact on the ice at all, whereas Lafferty could at least give you some minutes on the PK and speed.
The focus on Laff makes no sense. The focus should be on Kampf, Reaves, Kling, Bert and Domi signings. so far none of them are living up to their respective contracts. It is early and things will most likely change, but it doesn't look good....

The only moves that made sense at the time are Laff trade and Gregor signing.

Reactions: ACC1224

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
The worst thing that could happen is Reaves retires, which at that point the Leafs can't waive his salary to the minors since he's a 35+ age contract.

I do hope they don't hesitate to waive him if it comes to it. I hope Reaves is ready to do what Simmonds was willing to do.
Fortunately they updated that rule so that's for contracts with signing bonuses after the first year, which Reaves doesn't have

But even then, the list of players with 35+ contracts that extend past this year is as follows:
-Alex Ovechkin
-Evgeni Malkin
-Kris Letang
-Ryan Suter
-Semyon Varlamov
-Derek Ryan
-Ryan Reaves

That's... interesting company for Reaves to be hanging out with... We have him until 2026...

Last edited:

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
The focus on Laff makes no sense. The focus should be on Kampf, Reaves, Kling, Bert and Domi signings. so far none of them are living up to their respective contracts. It is early and things will most likely change, but it doesn't look good....

The only moves that made sense at the time are Laff trade and Gregor signing.
Minten shouldn't have made the team. Should have kept Lafferty and run a 20 man roster till LTIR opened up some more roster space.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Lafferty's TOI with Vancouver is that of a third liner. While it'd be acceptable to state that he'd be a better utilization of cap in comparison to Reaves, I would neither play Lafferty on our third line nor would I expect his current level of production on a fourth line.

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I get what you're saying but the choice was to keep some type of muscle on the roster, Lafferty isn't that.
I get that. Reaves isn't really that either though. Yes, he is the muscle. He really shouldn't be on the roster though... that's why is he plays six minutes a game. It ruins our.bottom six....unless we treat is like an 11-man unit I guess.

Reactions: ACC1224

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Jesus, all these fans preaching patience while Kyle was in charge, are now frothing at the mouth for change now he's gone.
Maybe because the new guy made a bunch of moves Kyle would never have made.

I am joking...sort of...how much patience do we need for Reaves to become a better hockey player?

Bertuzzi, Domi and Klingberg all get more rope.

Reactions: uncleben

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Jesus, all these fans preaching patience while Kyle was in charge, are now frothing at the mouth for change now he's gone.

You are correct to suggest that patience is needed to some degree... but also understand, the majority of signings are players, playing exactly like they did before we signed them. Domi is a weak defensive player, that provides little physicality, who needs top offensive players to succeed offensively. Klingberg has been a train wreck defensively for a few years. Reaves isn't a NHL quality player, and that's been a known for some time. Kampf has been a good defensive C for us, but needs other defensive minded, fast players, so he isn't being given the tools he needs to succeed and the contract was too much.

The Bertuzzi deal was the only one I thought seemed reasonable in the off season... and maybe he figures it out at some point... but he's a guy who based on history "should" contribute....

The rest was predictable.

Martin Jones... 3rd string goalie... pulled today, after giving up 4 goals on six shots in the second period, in the AHL.

The new signings, are playing EXACTLY like they should be expected to play, because that's who they have been.... That was stated in the offseason.

This has nothing to do with Dubas. I really don't care who runs the team. Who plays on the team, who coaches the team, or who owns the team. I just care about winning. I also pay attention to how other teams play, and other players.

I'm sorry you bought this story that we brought in snot... when we did not.
I'm sorry that you though we brought in pieces that would fit.... when they are sh!t.
I'm sorry that Dubas still causes you Post Traumatic Stress Disorder..I'm not the one focused on him, obsessed with him, or talking about him.... I don't care what he's doing, where he's doing it, or how his team is doing.

Let's also be blunt and look at Treliving's track record. He left a mess in Calgary, after vastly underperforming the roster potential for years, missed the playoffs half the time, and signed a ton of bad contracts. It was a bad hiring, which should be clear for anyone to see.

There should be more patience though... sure.. in the past, our roster changed as much as 30%, between day one of the regular season, and the start of the playoffs... so there is hope. So let's see what happens.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Lafferty's TOI with Vancouver is that of a third liner. While it'd be acceptable to state that he'd be a better utilization of cap in comparison to Reaves, I would neither play Lafferty on our third line nor would I expect his current level of production on a fourth line.

Lafferty was also not good on the 3rd line last year when he was the Engvall replacement. Looked like his feet were too quick for his brain.

Reactions: Buds17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
""

Crazy how quickly he went from a good depth player, to out of the league.

Didn’t Johnsson have some concussion issues?

Kinda wish we still had Ondrej Kase, another guy who was hurt by injuries and concussions.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Didn’t Johnsson have some concussion issues?

Kinda wish we still had Ondrej Kase, another guy who was hurt by injuries and concussions.

I thought he got COVID and had a tough time recovering… IIRC he has an asthma issue and perhaps that it’s too much for him

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I thought he got COVID and had a tough time recovering… IIRC he has an asthma issue and perhaps that it’s too much for him

You’re probably right about that. I was thinking of this incident but think he was still productive for a bit after this:

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Maybe because the new guy made a bunch of moves Kyle would never have made.

I am joking...sort of...how much patience do we need for Reaves to become a better hockey player?

Bertuzzi, Domi and Klingberg all get more rope.
i think we dodged a bullet with Bert, Domi, and Klinberg. If BT had more cap he almost certainly would have signed them for longer.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
funny how a couple of years can change a narrative, wasn't everyone's favorite sports reporter lambasted for reporting 34's Covid status?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Edmonton doesn’t get better and they have to scrap the season, I’d be interested in checking in on Mattias Ekholm himself.

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad