Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
A change of scenery deal: Bertuzzi for Vrána

Knies Matthews Marner
Vrána Tavares Nylander
Give him some time. Now that the 3rd line looks like it could be pretty good and the 1st line looking good with Knies it's only a matter of time before we see Bertuzzi start to get rewarded with some 5v5 points on that 2nd line. Hopefully these lines stick and they can all start to build some chemistry.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Moving Lafferty was not the right move.

He is much better than a 5th round pick and should have been a 4th line mainstay.

This was a bad decision by Treliving to move a very serviceable player.

I did not like Lafferty at all in his time with the Leafs but he's 50 times the player Reaves is. At least he wasn't lost on waivers.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

He is much better than a 5th round pick and should have been a 4th line mainstay.

The Canucks are leading the league in goals scored this season and 2nd in goals against.

While it's a hot run for them, I'm sure there will be a point that Lafferty goes with no points in 10 straight.

Hindsight is obviously the biggest thing here. He wasn't playing well enough to crack the 3rd line in training camp and they had more value in Domi & Knies on the 3rd line. I understand why they did it and it was good to get some value out of the trade.

If he plays on the 4th line with the Leafs, he would also be getting 3 less minutes per night.

horner

May 22, 2007

Lafferty never fit in with us .
He has find a home in Vancouver

Edmonton was dumb not to make that trade with us Descharnais.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007

The amount of people jumping on the "moving Laff was a bad idea" train is laughable. At the time the move was made, a large portion of this board was all for moving him to save cap space. Everything he brought to this team was easily replaceable by cheaper, younger players. I'm not a fan of most of the moves Tre has made, but this is the one move that made total sense.

To me his point totals are a product of being on a hot team. I can say with certainty he wouldn't have put up those numbers on the Leafs.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The amount of people jumping on the "moving Laff was a bad idea" train is laughable. At the time the move was made, a large portion of this board was all for moving him to save cap space. Everything he brought to this team was easily replaceable by cheaper, younger players. I'm not a fan of most of the moves Tre has made, but this is the one move that made total sense.

To me his point totals are a product of being on a hot team. I can say with certainty he wouldn't have put up those numbers on the Leafs.
Yeah I'm not losing sleep over Lafferty. Gregor has shown he's as capable / good and he's also 3 years younger. Now, if we're talking about Lafferty vs Reaves, that's a different story...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Yeah I'm not losing sleep over Lafferty. Gregor has shown he's as capable / good and he's also 3 years younger. Now, if we're talking about Lafferty vs Reaves, that's a different story...

Yeah it's definitely the Reaves over Lafferty decision that should be 100% questioned. Reaves is already started to get benched and he can't even play more than 5-6 minutes a game. No impact on the ice at all, whereas Lafferty could at least give you some minutes on the PK and speed.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Lafferty should have definitely been kept over Reaves, if they wanted a face puncher, there are plenty they could have signed who they could have waived up and down like McEwen, etc. if they wanted a DJ or moral boost, that is sad.

Not only did Reaves force them to move Lafferty but his contract essentially forces him to be played every night. Guy should be in the press box 80 percent of the time but can't be. And 2 more years of a 35+ contract. Might as well have thrown in a NMC for good measure.

Gregor Kampf Lafferty would be a solid defence first 4th line, and Laff can kill penalties as well.

Only hope is that Tree is not too proud to accept his mistake and that they amount you can bury increases as the cap does, and Reaves can join Clifford on the Marlies in years 2 and 3.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lafferty should have definitely been kept over Reaves, if they wanted a face puncher, there are plenty they could have signed who they could have waived up and down like McEwen, etc. if they wanted a DJ or moral boost, that is sad.

Not only did Reaves force them to move Lafferty but his contract essentially forces him to be played every night. Guy should be in the press box 80 percent of the time but can't be. And 2 more years of a 35+ contract. Might as well have thrown in a NMC for good measure.

Gregor Kampf Lafferty would be a solid defence first 4th line, and Laff can kill penalties as well.

Only hope is that Tree is not too proud to accept his mistake and that they amount you can bury increases as the cap does, and Reaves can join Clifford on the Marlies in years 2 and 3.
I thought Gregor forced them to move Lafferty and Reaves replaced Simmonds?

Reactions: Dangles McGavin

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The worst thing that could happen is Reaves retires, which at that point the Leafs can't waive his salary to the minors since he's a 35+ age contract.

I do hope they don't hesitate to waive him if it comes to it. I hope Reaves is ready to do what Simmonds was willing to do.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I thought Gregor forced them to move Lafferty and Reaves replaced Simmonds?

At the end of the day, we didn't have money to keep Lafferty. So, the worst forward on the roster was basically the choice we made over him.

That is Reaves and it is going to be Reaves until we move him. Maybe next year we can send him down with no cap hit. This year he costs us $300K even if we waive and demote him. I get that that was supposed to change things around here. Right now, it feels like the same Leafs...just ask Marchand.

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Tavares Nylander
Robertson Domi Gregor/Lafferty
Jarnkrok Kampf Gregor/Lafferty

Seems to make a whole lot more sense. We could have a useful bottom six. We could even move around our top nine to get three scoring lines with balance and some defensive conscience.

Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad