Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
In order for us to get better we have to get rid of the players who are redundant.

I’m sure the team is looking into having a third line that can score to give the secondary scoring we need

Kampf isn’t good enough for an offensive position and not a crash and bang center for a fourth line. He has to go

Janrok can only get points by playing top six and he really isn’t good enough to compliment a top six.
He has to go

Use that 5.5 to get some defense.
Klingberg has to go reeves should not be in our top 12 keep bertuzzi like domi but he doesn’t really fit either at the moment we need a few players better to not wait til the deadline either

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

• With the Calgary Flames in a flux, teams are starting to line up to pick at the carcass if ownership decides to unload by American Thanksgiving. It appears Chris Tanev is the most coveted defenceman, led by the watchful eye of his former GM who’s now in Toronto, Brad Treliving. Multiple teams will inquire on Tanev … and don’t rule out Edmonton and Vancouver revisiting. Additionally, at least two U.S.-based teams will aggressively be in on the most-coveted shutdown guy if he’s available.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Lots of time to get going on a streak and all this talk goes away.

It's 9 games in and they're 5-3-1 its not great but it's not terrible either.

15 to 20 games. Then we'll see but there is no rush right now. A lot of new guys getting use to the team. Also means the guys like Matthews and Marner are getting use to where a guy like Bertuzzi is going to be on the ice too.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
All these NTC and NMC on the team is going to be our downfall.

If Marner never had one, you send him off somewhere for a legit top 4 D and a replacement up front.

Sanheim+Konency, Andersson+Mangiapane, Miller+Chytil

Something like that. Marner is the epitome of why this team will never go far

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

If Marner never had one, you send him off somewhere for a legit top 4 D and a replacement up front.

Why would anyone trade for him?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Why would anyone trade for him?
He’s not a bad player by any means, and will consistently flirt with 90-100 points while being solid defensively.

If we were built differently as a team I’d be all for keeping him. But he’s extremely redundant here and we have much bigger problems than an undersized offensive winger.

Lots of teams don’t have a talent like Marner and I’m sure there would be a lot of interest around the league if he’s made available (waive NMC).

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He’s not a bad player by any means, and will consistently flirt with 90-100 points while being solid defensively.

If we were built differently as a team I’d be all for keeping him. But he’s extremely redundant here and we have much bigger problems than an undersized offensive winger.

Lots of teams don’t have a talent like Marner and I’m sure there would be a lot of interest around the league if he’s made available (waive NMC).
I don't see how he's redundant. Makes more sense to me to build a different team than to move a great player.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I don't see how he's redundant. Makes more sense to me to build a different team than to move a great player.
How are we going to build this team differently now?

We have minimal futures, 0 cap space, too many NMC/NTC on the team. The time to make a change was before Marner’s NMC kicked in.

Only player we can move really is Nylander - and that would be a huge mistake.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
How are we going to build this team differently now?

We have minimal futures, 0 cap space, too many NMC/NTC on the team. The time to make a change was before Marner’s NMC kicked in.

Only player we can move really is Nylander - and that would be a huge mistake.
They aren't doing it now, that should be apparent.
I don't see how moving Nylander is a huge mistake but letting Marner walk seems like a smart move.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
""

Given our fourth line has been crap, and hasn't been physical really either... I'd sign Comtois and Kessel on league minimums and try with Holmberg between them... waive Gregor and Reaves....

Which team? Definitely Oscar Meyer……….

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
""

Given our fourth line has been crap, and hasn't been physical really either... I'd sign Comtois and Kessel on league minimums and try with Holmberg between them... waive Gregor and Reaves....

I'd personally love nothing more.

Think that bridge is burned with Shanny though. The Leafs didn't even give Phil a tribute video at his first game back post trade (which was imo very petty).

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

He didn't have one 5 months ago. He wasn't traded then and nothings really changed since so I think it's pretty safe to say, NMC or not Marner wouldn't be traded by Shanny and co.

Plus it's a lot harder to move a big contract in season. They had the opportunity to trade him if they wanted, they didn't and don't want to. Do I think they should have, absolutely. But it's pointless to talk about moving him now. He's here until he either walks as a UFA or we overpay him again.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He didn't have one 5 months ago. He wasn't traded then and nothings really changed since so I think it's pretty safe to say, NMC or not Marner wouldn't be traded by Shanny and co.

Plus it's a lot harder to move a big contract in season. They had the opportunity to trade him if they wanted, they didn't and don't want to. Do I think they should have, absolutely. But it's pointless to talk about moving him now. He's here until he either walks as a UFA or we overpay him again.
Tre didn't have much time, but he missed a huge opportunity to fix the cap..........

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Wonder if Ducks would move on from Drysdale with the Minty emergence? I highly doubt it but I’d be interested. RH offensive D, from Toronto, 21 years old. Struggling to stay healthy so far.

I’d say his value is probably around Robertson + 1st rounder.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Do not trade for anyone until you have a new coach. But you could always trade Klingberg even without a new coach, he's an awful Dman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wonder if Ducks would move on from Drysdale with the Minty emergence? I highly doubt it but I’d be interested. RH offensive D, from Toronto, 21 years old. Struggling to stay healthy so far.

I’d say his value is probably around Robertson + 1st rounder.

Drysdale is reputationally/potentially in the Luke Hughes, Jake Sanderson echelon so I doubt he'd be available so soon even if he's been struggling and hurt lately.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Drysdale is reputationally/potentially in the Luke Hughes, Jake Sanderson echelon so I doubt he'd be available so soon even if he's been struggling and hurt lately.

Plus Drysdale is a RD while Mintyukov is a LD.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If the Leafs could move off Klinberg, Kampf, Jarnkrok, Reaves they would free up 10M to re-arrange into a 3/4C, 3RD, 3W (I know Jarnkrok plays 1LW right now but he's not better than the Leafs top 4 wingers). They could theoretically plug in Timmins in Klingberg's role and have the same impact. Similarly they can plug in McMann in Reaves role and have the same or better impact. That would leave 8.15M to fill 3/4C and 3W. I'd target Henrique @50% to fill 3C. That would leave 5M+ for a winger.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If the Leafs could move off Klinberg, Kampf, Jarnkrok, Reaves they would free up 10M to re-arrange into a 3/4C, 3RD, 3W (I know Jarnkrok plays 1LW right now but he's not better than the Leafs top 4 wingers). They could theoretically plug in Timmins in Klingberg's role and have the same impact. Similarly they can plug in McMann in Reaves role and have the same or better impact. That would leave 8.15M to fill 3/4C and 3W. I'd target Henrique @50% to fill 3C. That would leave 5M+ for a winger.

Jarnkrok played a decent game last night. He’s the least of my worries.

Klingberg, Kampf, Reaves, Bertuzzi, Domi…. Happy to fire them into the sun.

The challenge is who would take them, and what do we have left in assets to obtain gains.

Free players include Kane, Phil and Comtois.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Minnesota is off to a rough start and they've allowed the most goals in their division. They have the worst PK% in the entire league at 63.64%, below even San Jose.

Maybe they could use a defensive minded forward like Kampf? They currently have a bit of cap flexibility with Spurgeon on LTIR. Not really sure what we'd look for in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad