Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah I think Frost is a legitimately skilled player who isn’t a skilled player project the way a 4th round pick might be.

I’m really surprised McBain didn’t become a Leaf. Wasn’t he a Toronto born college UFA too? Wasn’t too high profile. But chose Arizona for some reason, guess for the playing time. Maybe to pay them back for us having Matthews and Knies from the Phoenix area…
He never became a UFA. Arizona traded for his rights, and signed him. We really should have gone after him. BIg C, put up points for Boston College... it should have been a no brainer move. Ugg.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Yeah I think Frost is a legitimately skilled player who isn’t a skilled player project the way a 4th round pick might be.

I’m really surprised McBain didn’t become a Leaf. Wasn’t he a Toronto born college UFA too? Wasn’t too high profile. But chose Arizona for some reason, guess for the playing time. Maybe to pay them back for us having Matthews and Knies from the Phoenix area…
I thought he was for sure coming to the Leafs during his final season. Arizona traded for him and probably made some promises to him regarding staying on the NHL roster. He has never played in the AHL which probably wouldn't have been a certainty on the Leafs.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
He never became a UFA. Arizona traded for his rights, and signed him. We really should have gone after him. BIg C, put up points for Boston College... it should have been a no brainer move. Ugg.
That was the same trade deadline the Leafs moved 2 2nd's for Giordano. They realistically couldn't have beat beat Arizona's offer.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like Morgan Frost as a player, but I really wonder if that's what the team needs. 5'11" 170lb....

I mean, at least he might be available, which is a thing, and he could be an upgrade for sure.

But give me Jack McBain instead, 6'4" 212lb.... and I appreciate he doesn't have the same offensive upside... though he's at 6 points in 8 games so far... which I don't think is sustainable, and mostly on the backs of last nights 4 point game. McBain has some faceoff work to do, but this is a kid with 300 hits last year, size, he's going to be a 30 point guy... maybe even a 40 point guy...

McBain is a good hockey player, who can also do the rough stuff, and we need some of that. Screw Reaves... get a McBain.

Or maybe try and get both? But we need some D upgrades too.

Last nights 4 point highlights.

Frost is fast and has skill. I'm not sure about his 2-way game and consistency, and that's where you'd need to be careful with Frost. But he has good upside and would likely be able to handle any sort of top 6 minutes if needed. The kind of buy low acquisition that can look so damn good.

And for the record, Frost is 6' and 193 lbs.

McBain would be a great target but the circumstances are much different here. Frost isn't playing and is quite obviously on the outs. McBain is playing and has 6 points in 8 games. Why would the Coyotes ever trade him for what we have to offer? Just not a realistic target and never really was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Frost is fast and has skill. I'm not sure about his 2-way game and consistency, and that's where you'd need to be careful with Frost. But he has good upside and would likely be able to handle any sort of top 6 minutes if needed. The kind of buy low acquisition that can look so damn good.

And for the record, Frost is 6' and 193 lbs.

McBain would be a great target but the circumstances are much different here. Frost isn't playing and is quite obviously on the outs. McBain is playing and has 6 points in 8 games. Why would the Coyotes ever trade him for what we have to offer? Just not a realistic target and never really was.
Completely agree... but damn, that's a kid I would have loved to have on the team. Said it from the time it looked like he wouldn't sign with Minnesota.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Holmberg needs to find a home as 3C or we’ll be looking to upgrade that position.

Kampf is a 4C and I’m happy with him there.
We need a SOB 3C imo - but if Holmberg finds a groove, I’m okay with him there and focusing on upgrading the right side of Rielly.
(If I’m Tre, which I am lol).

Xmas wish list order. (Not all need to happen)

1. Right side dman for Mo. (Potentially keep Brodie at same time)
2. 3C with some beef and respect (find a home for an energy line)
3. Cost effective winger. (To a lesser extent, but can never go wrong) *ideally filled internally.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I like Morgan Frost as a player, but I really wonder if that's what the team needs. 5'11" 170lb....

I mean, at least he might be available, which is a thing, and he could be an upgrade for sure.

But give me Jack McBain instead, 6'4" 212lb.... and I appreciate he doesn't have the same offensive upside... though he's at 6 points in 8 games so far... which I don't think is sustainable, and mostly on the backs of last nights 4 point game. McBain has some faceoff work to do, but this is a kid with 300 hits last year, size, he's going to be a 30 point guy... maybe even a 40 point guy...

McBain is a good hockey player, who can also do the rough stuff, and we need some of that. Screw Reaves... get a McBain.

Or maybe try and get both? But we need some D upgrades too.

Last nights 4 point highlights.

I love McBain. When it was becoming apparent that he wasnt going to sign with Minny I was hoping the Leafs would be all over it. Local boy. Played Jr. A with the Jr. Canadiens over at Scotiabank Pond so I've seen him play a bit in his younger days.

I think I even posted about him a bunch in the prospect thread at the time. Arizona jumped the line by trading for his rights from what I recall. He'd be a solid get.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Holmberg needs to find a home as 3C or we’ll be looking to upgrade that position.

Kampf is a 4C and I’m happy with him there.
We need a SOB 3C imo - but if Holmberg finds a groove, I’m okay with him there and focusing on upgrading the right side of Rielly.
(If I’m Tre, which I am lol).

Xmas wish list order. (Not all need to happen)

1. Right side dman for Mo. (Potentially keep Brodie at same time)
2. 3C with some beef and respect (find a home for an energy line)
3. Cost effective winger. (To a lesser extent, but can never go wrong) *ideally filled internally.

Center is definitely the position they need to beef up if they can first and foremost.

I think Holmberg is underrated and underappreciated but I don't think he'll ever be fantastic or anything. Just a solid cheap player that can probably develop further in terms of overall ability. He can make plays for sure, he just needs more opportunity and minutes.

Kampf just doesn't have the IQ to get there. He's a defensive player that works hard and moves around well with a good reach but inept offensively and has pretty low-end skill to make plays, zone exits or even get physical if needed. He definitely took advantage of a low pool of centers in free agency and on the Leafs to get term and a good chunk of change. Spending around 3.5M between him and Reaves is terrible for our cap situation.

Reactions: MarMarSab3

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
McBain would be a great get for the fourth line LW or C. He's got size, some skill, and loves to hit on the forecheck. You need guys next to Reaves who mix things up physically otherwise you're limiting his usefulness as a nuclear deterrent.

horner

May 22, 2007
McBain would be a great get for the fourth line LW or C. He's got size, some skill, and loves to hit on the forecheck. You need guys next to Reaves who mix things up physically otherwise you're limiting his usefulness as a nuclear deterrent.
Yes you need a partner for Reaves.
We always seem to do that last yr Simmonds and no one else
The islanders had the best crash line
Clutterbuck Martin Czicas

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Yes you need a partner for Reaves.
We always seem to do that last yr Simmonds and no one else
The islanders had the best crash line
Clutterbuck Martin Czicas
Czikas would be nice too if the Isles fall out of it. McBain was 4th in hits last year with 304, behind only Schenn, Gudas, and Deslauriers.

Reactions: horner

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Lindholm and Hanifin would solve almost all of the issues/fill all of the holes this team has. The issue is there's the salary cap. Probably very unlikely to retain either. So they'd become very expensive rentals. Both would be a pipe dream and even one would be very tough to acquire.

If the choice is Tanev or Zadorov, I easily pick Zadorov as he's cheaper, younger and less injury prone plus the element he brings.

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
Czikas would be nice too if the Isles fall out of it. McBain was 4th in hits last year with 304, behind only Schenn, Gudas, and Deslauriers.
McBain may be closer to a 3C considering where out $ is tied up with the forwards right now.
If we could find a way to get both Boyd and McBain I would be happy as hell for out bottom 6, if that swaps out Holmberg (needs more seasoning) and Reaves (to 13F).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Calgary could really rebuild quite well if they decided to pull the trigger.

Some contracts are going to be harder to move but short term they could retain on Lindholm, Hanifin and Tanev or Zadorov (whichever pulls them a better return) and then maybe look at retaining on some longer term ones.

I know the Leafs retained long term on Kessel, if Calgary wants to move Weegar, they may need to get him down to 5M just because the age curve but it's an 8 year retention commitment, I don't know if ownership will bite on it or just ride it out a few more years to chisel some years off the contract.

Kadri and Huberdeau are going to be much, much harder.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Outside of the actual cap limitations, Calgary has so many players that would fit our team very nicely.

If they do decide to sell, there's a very strong likelihood we make a deal with them.

Reactions: Kurtz

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Calgary could really rebuild quite well if they decided to pull the trigger.

Some contracts are going to be harder to move but short term they could retain on Lindholm, Hanifin and Tanev or Zadorov (whichever pulls them a better return) and then maybe look at retaining on some longer term ones.

I know the Leafs retained long term on Kessel, if Calgary wants to move Weegar, they may need to get him down to 5M just because the age curve but it's an 8 year retention commitment, I don't know if ownership will bite on it or just ride it out a few more years to chisel some years off the contract.

Kadri and Huberdeau are going to be much, much harder.
They need someone to play there while they tank why not Weegar, Kadri and Huberdeau.

Trade all those pending FA's and start the party. Draft high. Worry about those big contracts as time moves along.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wouldn’t mind Tanev. I’m sure Calgary would be willing to retain 50% considering he’s a UFA after this season.

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Liljegren
Brodie - Klingberg

Wouldn’t be bad.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They need someone to play there while they tank why not Weegar, Kadri and Huberdeau.

Trade all those pending FA's and start the party. Draft high. Worry about those big contracts as time moves along.

I'm wondering if they'd move Andersson if they're given enough or will they try to keep him around for the next wave.

horner

May 22, 2007
What would you give up to get McBain

Reactions: TMLAM34

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Now that Forsling is likely re-signing in Florida

Off-season version 251531

Hinges on Woll and if the Pens are still practically giving away Pettersson, they also need cap space for Guentzel.

1698790501852.png

1698790516403.png

1698790532544.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad