Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
3 UFA's would love to sign 2 of these players
Carolina wont be able to sign both
With the signings @ llast yrs UFA''s to me they were all a mil more than the should have been example Schenn 2.75 mil

It's time to look after the D

Skjie 7 mil
Pesce 7 mil
Zadorov 4 mil

Cowen Minten knies Woll Holmberg all on ELC contracts

Trade
Jamcrock
Kampf

We have 38 mil in cap space

Nylander 10 mil
Bertuzzi 6.5 mil
Skjie 7 mil
Zadorov 4 mil
Ljiligren 2 mil
Brodie 3.5 mil
Domi 4 mil
Total 37 mil

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
With the signings @ llast yrs UFA''s to me they were all a mil more than the should have been example Schenn 2.75 mil

Skjie 7 mil
Pesce 7 mil
Zadorov 4 mil

Trade
Jamcrock
Kampf

Nylander 10 mil
Bertuzzi 6.5 mil
Skjie 7 mil
Zadorov 4 mil
Ljiligren 2 mil
Brodie 3.5 mil
Domi 4 mil
Total 37 mil

since you just traded away two of our top 4 forwards when it comes to killing penalties what are your replacements for that? we already basically use Matthews out of necessity this year and we've started off in the bottom half of the league in this aspect. this currently needs improvement?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Skjie 7 mil
Pesce 7 mil
Zadorov 4 mil

Trade
Jamcrock
Kampf

Nylander 10 mil
Bertuzzi 6.5 mil
Skjie 7 mil
Zadorov 4 mil
Ljiligren 2 mil
Brodie 3.5 mil
Domi 4 mil
Total 37 mil

Pesce will be a sought after player if he makes it to free agency. I'd say he'd be a very good target to look at but I could see a team going over 8M for 7 years with the cap rising up. Seems insane but I would not be surprised.

Dylan DeMelo would be high on my list of targets. Pretty underrated defenseman and probably can be signed to a cap hit that can fit a whole lot better. Chris Tanev could be a good veteran PKer to bring back home as well. He's shown to be pretty durable the last few years. Bringing back Brodie on a cheaper short-term contract would be great and I think he'd take it.

Liljegren also needs a contract and I hope they go long-term with him. Something like 7-8 years at 4M or so cap hit. I think he's been one of our better defenseman this year next to Rielly and he keeps just getting better.

I would have zero interest bringing back Domi at anything more than what he currently makes, if at all. The Leafs have plenty of winger depth and he's not exactly bringing an element they are lacking.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Pesce will be a sought after player if he makes it to free agency. I'd say he'd be a very good target to look at but I could see a team going over 8M for 7 years with the cap rising up. Seems insane but I would not be surprised.

Dylan DeMelo would be high on my list of targets. Pretty underrated defenseman and probably can be signed to a cap hit that can fit a whole lot better. Chris Tanev could be a good veteran PKer to bring back home as well. He's shown to be pretty durable the last few years. Bringing back Brodie on a cheaper short-term contract would be great and I think he'd take it.

Liljegren also needs a contract and I hope they go long-term with him. Something like 7-8 years at 4M or so cap hit. I think he's been one of our better defenseman this year next to Rielly and he keeps just getting better.
I think Mattias Samuelsson is a good contract comparison for Timothy Liljegren. Something like a 7/8 year deal worth around 4.25 million per.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I very much want to know what the parameters of a Patrick Kane contract (term/AAV) are going to look like. If he's taking something in the realm of 2-3 mill AAV, I would hope the Leafs would inquire.

Jarnkrok out and Kane in would be massive.

Reactions: bax and notdoneyet

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I very much want to know what the parameters of a Patrick Kane contract (term/AAV) are going to look like. If he's taking something in the realm of 2-3 mill AAV, I would hope the Leafs would inquire.

Jarnkrok out and Kane in would be massive.

It would be quite the downgrade. I don't think we understand the severity of his off-season surgery and how bad he is in terms of his compete level. He's talented offensively but the Leafs don't exactly have the need for a purely 1 way offensive player that relies on PPs and soft minutes. If you want Kane, you need to add him to the current group of players, not remove a good player for him.

I really don't know why Jarnkrok gets so much shit around here. If you want to replace a player, replace Reaves with Kane and that's a massive upgrade in ability.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
It would be quite the downgrade. I don't think we understand the severity of his off-season surgery and how bad he is in terms of his compete level. He's talented offensively but the Leafs don't exactly have the need for a purely 1 way offensive player that relies on PPs and soft minutes. If you want Kane, you need to add him to the current group of players, not remove a good player for him.

I really don't know why Jarnkrok gets so much shit around here. If you want to replace a player, replace Reaves with Kane and that's a massive upgrade in ability.
I'm not sure where I shit on Jarnkrok. I guess you'll have to point that out for me.

Jarnkrok is currently playing on our top line and what I said that if all things are equal (AAV), I'd MUCH rather have Patrick Kane in that spot over Calle Jarnkrok.

Reactions: bax and notdoneyet

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not sure where I shit on Jarnkrok. I guess you'll have to point that out for me.

Jarnkrok is currently playing on our top line and what I said that if all things are equal (AAV), I'd MUCH rather have Patrick Kane in that spot over Calle Jarnkrok.

It was a general statement not really aimed at anyone, but suggesting to replace Jarnkrok with the Kane suggests that your value of Jarnkrok isn't very high.

Jarnkrok is playing on the top line because of the way he plays. He's FAST, hard working and can make plays. He puts pressure on the defense to help Marner and Matthews, and he's also pretty good defensively since they go up against the others teams top players. Kane doesn't do that. He's a playmaker that relies on offensive zone time and linemates to do the dirty work for him. And he's coming off a severe hip surgery, which we will have no idea how good or bad it will be for him in terms of ability.

The least of our problems is finding a way to replace Jarnkrok.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It was a general statement not really aimed at anyone, but suggesting to replace Jarnkrok with the Kane suggests that your value of Jarnkrok isn't very high.

Jarnkrok is playing on the top line because of the way he plays. He's FAST, hard working and can make plays. He puts pressure on the defense to help Marner and Matthews, and he's also pretty good defensively since they go up against the others teams top players. Kane doesn't do that. He's a playmaker that relies on offensive zone time and linemates to do the dirty work for him. And he's coming off a severe hip surgery, which we will have no idea how good or bad it will be for him in terms of ability.

The least of our problems is finding a way to replace Jarnkrok.

The guy you'd replace for Kane is Domi, you don't want 2 of them and considering Domi is here now and hasn't had hip surgery says it's not a Jarnkrok out/Kane in move that's coming.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
When the Islanders inevitably fall out of the playoff race, the Leafs should be looking at Clutterbuck and Czikas (not Pageau, as he can no longer handle the puck with his injury issues). Both of those guys would be perfect playoff additions for the Leafs.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
When the Islanders inevitably fall out of the playoff race, the Leafs should be looking at Clutterbuck and Czikas (not Pageau, as he can no longer handle the puck with his injury issues). Both of those guys would be perfect playoff additions for the Leafs.
Trying to recreate their fourth line wouldn't be a bad move.

What would you pay for them?

Who would you move to make cap?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Cizikas would be very intriguing. Clutterbuck less so. He's from Toronto and would be a good center to bring in but 4 more years at 2.5M per year is rough. I wonder if he would welcome a change of teams since he's been with NYI his whole career.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Trying to recreate their fourth line wouldn't be a bad move.

What would you pay for them?

Who would you move to make cap?
I can't imagine that Clutterbuck would be more than a third round pick. I would sit Reaves in favour of Clutterbuck, and then Reaves can always sub in every few games if need be. Czikas might be more expensive in terms of assets since he is a much better player, but I think it's still probably nothing more than picks and a B-level prospect. He pushes Holmberg out of the lineup and Kampf goes to the fourth line. I think they would both be impactful additions.

Matt Martin is not a guy I would look at.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Don't want Czikas anywhere near this team. I grew up with the guy and played against him multiple times. Guy is a POS. Let's just say he's lucky to be playing hockey in general, nevermind the in the NHL.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Don't want Czikas anywhere near this team. I grew up with the guy and played against him multiple times. Guy is a POS. Let's just say he's lucky to be playing hockey in general, nevermind the in the NHL.
Yeah, there is that rugby incident.....

Reactions: Joel Ward

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

I would have zero interest bringing back Domi at anything more than what he currently makes, if at all. The Leafs have plenty of winger depth and he's not exactly bringing an element they are lacking.
Forsling is the crown jewel of this FA crop for me. Pesce will be ~30 at the start of his next retirement deal (Nov birthday).

Forsling will be a prime, 28 year old #2/3 D available for free, who will age beautifully with his elite mobility.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Forsling is the crown jewel of this FA crop for me. Pesce will be ~30 at the start of his next retirement deal (Nov birthday).

Forsling will be a prime, 28 year old #2/3 D available for free, who will age beautifully with his elite mobility.

A good underrated defenseman, I agree.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I think Mattias Samuelsson is a good contract comparison for Timothy Liljegren. Something like a 7/8 year deal worth around 4.25 million per.
The way the caps jumping I highly doubt you get that term and not start with a 5

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

A good underrated defenseman, I agree.

Although I've had my eye on Zadorov or Hakanpa to add a physical presence, I very much agree with Forsling being an awesome addition.

As much as we love that McCabe is 2M, I think he's just been okay.

DeMelo is another guy that I think could do well with Rielly, hard to forecheck and plays a simple game.

Rielly-DeMelo
Forsling-Liljegren
Zadorov-X or Kokkonen-Hakanpa

I believe Forsling may have some connection to Nylander if we keep him as they were WJC teammates.

1698584864203.png

1698584884319.png

1698584900729.png

I demoted Reaves because I don't see him on the team next year.

Things could change big time if Woll can't keep it up but I really tried to maintain physicality/size and add team speed.

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
Trade
Jarnkrok
Kampf

Trade for forward and dman
Jack McBain would be a good target
Zadorov

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: notdoneyet

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Although I've had my eye on Zadorov or Hakanpa to add a physical presence, I very much agree with Forsling being an awesome addition.

As much as we love that McCabe is 2M, I think he's just been okay.

DeMelo is another guy that I think could do well with Rielly, hard to forecheck and plays a simple game.

Rielly-DeMelo
Forsling-Liljegren
Zadorov-X or Kokkonen-Hakanpa

I believe Forsling may have some connection to Nylander if we keep him as they were WJC teammates.

View attachment 759785
View attachment 759786
View attachment 759787

I demoted Reaves because I don't see him on the team next year.

Things could change big time if Woll can't keep it up but I really tried to maintain physicality/size and add team speed.

You think McCabe has just been ok, and dump him for a 2nd and a 3rd, meanwhile you give up 3M for Zadorov? I'm not sure what people are expecting from Zadorov but giving up on 2M McCabe when he's a cheaper and superior defenseman is weird. McCabe lays out some pretty big hits as well. Why not just keep the better player and save 1M in cap space?

Dumping Jarnkrok for a 3rd is bad, especially to turn around and then give Foegele 2.5M.

The Frost deal seems fine. Robertson is great but dumping Kampf to grab a good young center is intriguing.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40 and TMLAM34

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You think McCabe has just been ok, and dump him for a 2nd and a 3rd, meanwhile you give up 3M for Zadorov? I'm not sure what people are expecting from Zadorov but giving up on 2M McCabe when he's a cheaper and superior defenseman is weird. McCabe lays out some pretty big hits as well. Why not just keep the better player and save 1M in cap space?

Dumping Jarnkrok for a 3rd is bad, especially to turn around and then give Foegele 2.5M.

The Frost deal seems fine. Robertson is great but dumping Kampf to grab a good young center is intriguing.

Zadorov's hits are pretty violent, you're definitely going into a game knowing about Zadorov more so than McCabe. I mean alternatively, you could keep McCabe and go for Hakanpa who is a pretty good player. I don't have a ton of confidence in Timmins staying healthy and Forsling is very capable of playing PP2, underrated aspect of him is that he is very good at getting shots through.

Foegele is a beast in the corners and very fast, I know Jarnkrok has that dimension going for him too but Foegele has more size and I just think you need that in the playoffs.

Revised;

1698591919491.png

1698591940534.png

Foegele is probably the first sacrifice in this plan if you need to find a different goalie or other guys need more $$

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Peeke, Frost, Laughton, Veleno, McBain, Crouse, Hayton, Fabbro and Borgen are some names that would help improve our depth throughout the lineup and could potentially be available.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Peeke, Frost, Laughton, Veleno, McBain, Crouse, Hayton, Fabbro and Borgen are some names that would help improve our depth throughout the lineup and could potentially be available.

Peeke - very availabe

Frost - Probably available

Laughton - Friedman said teams asked in the summer and the cost was absurd

Veleno - Is he available? Had a good start

McBain/Crouse/Hayton - Are they actually available?

Fabbro I think was a name that could have been going back to Vancouver for Garland before Schenn got injured.

Borgen...is he actually available? He's young and has term, Schultz is UFA and seems more likely.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
We need a third line center that can create some offense.
Kampf is not that player and I just don't see how a 3rd/4th line C setup of Kampf-Holmberg is going to work in terms of being good enough to win a championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad