Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Coutuerier but I thought he was almost done his big deal. Turns out he's only in year 2 so f*** that!
Before the start of the season, he hadn't played in 22 months, having had two serious back surgeries... and he'd missed time the season prior for the same injury. He's one heck of a player when healthy, but it's a big question mark, how long he can play and he has a $7.75 mil cap hit until the end of 29/30... that's a pretty big gamble to take him on.

Reactions: Americanadian

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
And he is injured all the time
We also need defenseman not more forwards
Peak Couturier improves team defence about as much as a defenceman. This guy was an anmial out there, just overshadowed by Patrice.

I have wanted DeMelo for a while. Not sure what the metrics say about him, but he passes the eye test when I watch the Jets.

He's hard to forecheck against and good against the rush. My biggest issues with Lilly and Brodie is they are so easy to forecheck against, they get run over.

Reactions: LeafSteel

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Peak Couturier improves team defence about as much as a defenceman. This guy was an anmial out there, just overshadowed by Patrice.

I have wanted DeMelo for a while. Not sure what the metrics say about him, but he passes the eye test when I watch the Jets.

He's hard to forecheck against and good against the rush. My biggest issues with Lilly and Brodie is they are so easy to forecheck against, they get run over.
Demelo is one of those defencemen everyone loves. People who like a physical guy not afraid to play in the dirty areas and who rely on the eye test and the analytics people also like him. Idk why we haven't tried harder to get this guy the last few years tbh.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I made small changes with this scenario, they wouldn't happen overnight, maybe between now and TDL but here we go;

1698406826643.png

1698406843957.png

Explanation;

1. If Woll can continue to play well, I would probably just look to move Samsonov's salary to improve elsewhere

2. I'd probably look at moving Jarnkrok in the off-season to at least acquire another 3rd round pick for the 2025 draft

3. Zadorov adds some physicality

4. I don't trust Reaves for the important games, Texier is tenacious as hell but slow to adjust back to North America after a year off, good chance to grab him...open to other 4th line options too.

5. Domi and Dellandrea had some okay chemistry on Dallas, they're deep at centre although I suspect they prefer to move Faksa.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Why do people think Dellandrea is available? Am I missing something?
Hintz, Duchene, Seguin, Johnston, Faksa can all play centre and they have Mavrik Bourque coming maybe next year.

I wouldn't say they're pushing him out the door but I don't think he's unavailable either, it's not like you're asking for Heiskanen.

I think they'd prefer to move Marchment and Faksa first but again, not like you can't have a conversation.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Hintz, Duchene, Seguin, Johnston, Faksa can all play centre and they have Mavrik Bourque coming maybe next year.

I wouldn't say they're pushing him out the door but I don't think he's unavailable either, it's not like you're asking for Heiskanen.

I think they'd prefer to move Marchment and Faksa first but again, not like you can't have a conversation.
Also - Dellandrea has been playing 3/4RW for them and they are heavily rumored as the favorites to get Kane which would push down Dadonov into that 3RW spot.

I made small changes with this scenario, they wouldn't happen overnight, maybe between now and TDL but here we go;

View attachment 758733
View attachment 758734

Explanation;

1. If Woll can continue to play well, I would probably just look to move Samsonov's salary to improve elsewhere

2. I'd probably look at moving Jarnkrok in the off-season to at least acquire another 3rd round pick for the 2025 draft

3. Zadorov adds some physicality

4. I don't trust Reaves for the important games, Texier is tenacious as hell but slow to adjust back to North America after a year off, good chance to grab him...open to other 4th line options too.

5. Domi and Dellandrea had some okay chemistry on Dallas, they're deep at centre although I suspect they prefer to move Faksa.
Samonov for Copley makes a ton of sense if Samsonov can steady his play over the next few weeks and give LA a reason to believe in him. You'd need to balance cap though. Arvidsson+Copley for Jarnkrok+Samsonov would work cap wise.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Also - Dellandrea has been playing 3/4RW for them and they are heavily rumored as the favorites to get Kane which would push down Dadonov into that 3RW spot.

Samonov for Copley makes a ton of sense if Samsonov can steady his play over the next few weeks and give LA a reason to believe in him. You'd need to balance cap though. Arvidsson+Copley for Jarnkrok+Samsonov would work cap wise.
I don’t think LA is expecting Arvidsson back this year to be honest. Looks like he’s suppose to have back surgery and out long term.

Also why do we want Copley? It’s not like he’s a proven NHL backup goaltender? Jones would be a better option and half the salary….

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I don’t think LA is expecting Arvidsson back this year to be honest. Looks like he’s suppose to have back surgery and out long term.

Also why do we want Copley? It’s not like he’s a proven NHL backup goaltender? Jones would be a better option and half the salary….

I think they could get rid of Arvidsson perhaps to Nashville, they were rumored to be in on Garland for a while there until Schenn went down to injury.

Arvidsson requires less commitment and the return would likely be minimal.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Imagine if Woll actually kept this up?

The things we could do with 4m in cap space....DeMelo would still be my top target, Laughton would be up there as well.

horner

May 22, 2007
MmAlso - Dellandrea has been playing 3/4RW for them and they are heavily rumored as the favorites to get Kane which would push down Dadonov into that 3RW spot.

I would rather get a 2nd. They will need Copley as a back up

I would rather us Sammy's cap on a dman.

Trade
Jamcrock and Kampf for picks

Trade For
Zadorov ( sign him 5 mil) For a 2nd + 4th
We need a big mean dman to keep the idiot for touching Woll

Laughton for a 1st + Robertson
He would be perfect 3 line center
Sign for 3 more yrs @ 3 mil

Last edited:
Reactions: Americanadian

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I didn't realize that - that would allow for a 1 for 1 swap.
Copley was fine last year in 37 games. He's had 2 bad games to start this year - Samsonov has had 4. LA is the only logical fit for Samsonov right now and Copley makes sense as the return. I'm not saying Copley has to play over Jones. If the Leafs had Copley/Jones as 2/3G thats pretty good insulation for Woll.

horner

May 22, 2007
I didn't realize that - that would allow for a 1 for 1 swap.

Copley was fine last year in 37 games. He's had 2 bad games to start this year - Samsonov has had 4. LA is the only logical fit for Samsonov right now and Copley makes sense as the return. I'm not saying Copley has to play over Jones. If the Leafs had Copley/Jones as 2/3G thats pretty good insulation for Woll.
Copley a .903 save % last year

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I would rather get a 2nd. They will need Copley as a back up

I would rather us Sammy's cap on a dman.

Trade
Jamcrock and Kampf for picks

Trade For
Zadorov ( sign him 5 mil) For a 2nd + 4th
We need a big mean dman to keep the idiot for touching Woll

Laughton for a 1st + Robertson
He would be perfect 3 line center
Sign for 3 more yrs @ 3 mil
I'm in on all of that except signing Zadorov for 5M. That would be way too much for the minutes he plays.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Copley a .903 save % last year
He was 16th in the league in goals saved above expected. He was an average NHL goalie. Which is really all you can ask for out of a backup for 1.5M.

How much he is making 3.75 mil this year
I don't think he's earned a raise over 3.75M. That's a lot for what he brings. He's 5th in TOI/GP for the Flames between this season and last. That is 3rd pairing minutes. A 3rd pairing defenseman should never get 3.75M let alone 5M. I like the player (stylistically and statistically) and I'd love to try him out in McCabe's place but not for 5M going forward or even 3.75M past this season.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Zadorov double-retained at the deadline + a cost effective bottom-6 C seems like a given at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad